Your Takeaway: Listener Stories

« previous episode | next episode »

Friday, November 29, 2013

Happy day-after-Thanksgiving from The Takeaway!

Today, we’re doing things a little differently. Your comments on our stories come pouring in every day, and often times you have stories of your own. So today we hear from you—and only you. The Takeaway producers have worked for over a month to curate some of your most compelling stories from the past year. You’ll hear them today.

Take a listen and meet Anil, Kate, Mimi, Jeff, Mindy and Lou, and Buddah.

We’ll hear about an unlikely caregiver, a lesbian’s complicated religious path, a slug-turned-avid-cyclist, a refused rejection letter, a reignited romance, and a young boy’s search for his father on a blue and white Huffy bike.

What do you think? Give us a call at 1-877-MY-TAKE, visit our Facebook page or send us a tweet to share your story.

Arwa Gunja, Johanna Mayer and Megan Quellhorst

Editors:

T.J. Raphael

Marie Small from WGBH

The story related by the man who was blind and taking care for his ill Mom really resonated w/ me. My Mom passed away recently and so many of the same thoughts and ideas were passing through my mind as my family all helped care for her. I guess you wonder during this time of life and passing into death if you are doing the right thing and then knowing when and how to let go. His story was very touching and brought tears to my eyes, he articulated his thoughts so clearly and w/ so much compassion (I tried to find his name but could not)! We had a whole family of seeing care givers for my Mom, it's hard to imagine how he could do so much for his Mom and much of the time on his own. I can tell from listening to his story he was a wonderful caring son and should never doubt it he did enough as what he did was just right! Thank you for telling your story, Marie

Nov. 30 2013 08:43 AM
CAROLINE from NJ USA

Just re-listened to Mimi's bike story. It's wonderful! I understand exactly what she meant about "sharing the ride". I've ridden in different places/landscapes with different people, and when I'm back there and go over the same trail, all the conversation and experiences come back. It's lovely riding a bike!

Also loved, Buddah's story! Flying down a street (or in my case down a country road) is just the most wonderful and powerful memory. Buddah finds his power on his blue and white Huffy. Magical, is the word! Serendipity wins the day! I hope Buddah has lots of good magic and lots of serendipity in his life. I have a feeling he will, because he's got it in his heart.

Nov. 29 2013 11:17 AM
CAROLINE from NJ USA

That view of "meeting people where they are" is key ~ it is also, our own key to self acceptance, and makes way - opens the mind to grow wiser.

When there is no evolution of the spirit one ends up as, to many - to very many folks that have locked their souls away and are stunted. Phew! Some religious folks can be narrow and harsh, not to mention homophobic! Life is wonderful ~ letting it unfold. Some people think everyone should be controlled by religious teaching, perhaps one should hold their tongue for wagging it may show a very unpleasant looking face, with it hanging out.

Each day is a new canvas, opportunity for moving into the moments that count. It is good to hear positive stories from thankful people. Thank you!

Nov. 29 2013 10:25 AM
Rob Smith from Huron, Ohio

Buddah's Huffy story resonated with me. I think I'm a bit older (before hand brakes), but my red Huffy was my escape. As an adult I wrote a pair of poems, one in iambic pentameter commemorating the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk, the other in free verse recorded me in downhill flight in Youngstown, Ohio. Thanks. Rob Smith

Nov. 29 2013 10:24 AM
Marvin Wolf from Ft Lauderdale Fla

I wonder if Mindy and Lou thought of the effect on his wife of 23 years and his daughter's of hearing that throughout the whole marriage,. he thought longingly of another woman every day. This, even if true, speaks poorly of him, painful to his wife of 23 years, and must be damaging to his daughters. This story may be a source of pleasure to Mindy and Lou, but airing it was hurtful to the innocent family and this should have been considered by the producers, especially as this was not a news story. The Take Away is that your story, supposed to be touching, was anything but.

Nov. 29 2013 10:14 AM

More of the same. A lesbian who wants to make religion bend to her wishes and do it cafeteria style - take what she wants and leave the rest. If everyone did that and didn't accede personal wishes to the group's benefit, religious tradition would die.

She isn't a good example of a good religious person who happens to be gay. She seems like a selfish person who disobeys religion because she doesn't like it. If that is the case, she should just move on and start her own religion but maybe that's what progressives want the US government to be - their own religion.

Nov. 29 2013 09:31 AM