As Sen. Ted Cruz Enters Hour 16, The GOP's In-Fighting Worries Some Republicans

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Senator Ted Cruz on the Senate floor. Cruz held the floor to speak against Obamacare for more than 15 hours. (C-SPAN/Twitter)

The showdown over the budget continues in Washington.

"I intend to speak in support of defunding Obamacare until I am no longer able to stand," said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) in remarks on Tuesday.

Cruz’s faux filibuster lasted through this morning, with his marathon entering its 15th hour at 4:41 a.m. ET—and there was still no end in sight. Despite his efforts, Sen. Cruz can't prevent the Senate from voting today to end debate on the House proposal.

The junior senator from Texas has angered many of his GOP colleagues with his flamboyant tactics.

“We'd all be hard-pressed to explain why we were opposed to a bill we are in favor of," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) told reporters. "And, invoking cloture on a bill that defunds Obamacare, doesn't raise taxes, and respects the Budget Control Act strikes me as a no-brainer.”

Congress is quickly running out of time. It only has until October 1 to pass a spending bill to avert a government shutdown.

Ron Christie is a Republican strategist and former special assistant to President George W. Bush. Ben Domenech is Senior Fellow at the Heartland Institute and publisher of The Federalist. They debate the pros and cons of Senator Cruz's strategy.

Takeaway Washington Correspondent Todd Zwillich fills us in on what the GOP's next move might be.

Ron Christie, Ben Domenech and Todd Zwillich

Tyler Adams and Megan Quellhorst

Editors:

T.J. Raphael

Charles

I am wondering who from public radio actually listened to all of Cruz's 21-hour speech. I listened from about 9 pm until about 3:45 am.

Cruz was amazing. Cogent, smart, commanding; it was a devastating indictment of Obamacare.

I heard none of Cruz's substantive complaints on NPR today. Instead, I heard about a dozen different uses of "Green Eggs and ham." It was an organized, coordinated attempt to belittle and minimize Cruz personally. And in the process, public radio butchered the story and the news.

Sep. 25 2013 11:40 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

We need to have a contest of turning a children's story into the Ted Cruz filibuster: titles like "He Thinks He Can," "Cruz's Web", "Where The Wild Ted Ain't", "The Very Hungry Cruz,"Ted And The Chocolate Factory Shutdown" Ted's Phantom Tollbooth" etcetera etcetera.

Sep. 25 2013 01:41 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn,N.Y.

Ted Cruz: Silly Buster. He wanted to make a name for himself and he did.

Sep. 25 2013 01:28 PM
Deb from Somewhere in Texas

Did you really refer to the closing of Sen. Ted Cruz's filibuster by quoting "Our long national nightmare is over"? I'm pretty sure you did. For any who don't know, the line is from President Gerald Ford's inaugural speech. The national nightmare was Watergate. The new President's remarks went like this: "My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over... Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here the people rule." Sen. Cruz was standing up and speaking up for what he thinks is right. How is this a national nightmare? Was it a national nightmare when Texas State Senator Wendy Davis used filibuster to call attention to an issue she believed important? I did not agree with her stance on the issue. Her filibuster didn't change the outcome of the bill. Yet, the press canonized Wendy Davis for filibustering, often in reverent tones with tales of her sacrifice and cool footwear. How does filibuster suddenly morph into a national nightmare when it employed by a conservative to call attention to an issue he believes important? Just when I think I can't surprised by media bias, I am astonished.

Sep. 25 2013 01:03 PM
Jerrold Richards from Lyle, Washington

I've long thought that watching too many James Stewart movies brings out the lying cold-eyed sociopathic side of a person. Maybe that's the guy's problem.

Sep. 25 2013 12:11 PM
Steve from NYC

John, I listened to the interview where both of your guests claimed that defeat of the ACA was a matter of principle for conservatives. You know that is, as the VPOTUS would say, a bunch of malarkey. The whole structure of universal health care and individual mandate was the work of conservative think tanks and implemented by GOP Gov. Romney. Republicans are against ACA only because it will be a success brought about by Democrats. Why didn't you call your guests out in this?

Sep. 25 2013 10:23 AM