Velvet Underground's Moe Tucker Remembers Rock Legend Lou Reed

Monday, October 28, 2013

Lou Reed performs at the Pohoda Music Festival at the Trencin Airport in Trencin, Slovakia on July 7, 2012. (Michal Durinik/Shutterstock)

Legendary singer, songwriter and guitarist Lou Reed died Sunday at the age of 71.

As founder of the Velvet Underground, Reed is known as one of rock history's great pioneers. Neil Portnow, president the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, which bestows the Grammys, credited Reed with "introducing avant-garde rock to the mainstream."

Reed was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996. Today Moe Tucker, drummer for the Velvet Underground, helps us remember Lou Reed.

The Takeaway is asking for your memories of Lou Reed and the impact his music had on you. Leave a comment below or reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook. Below are tributes to the late Lou Reed that have been pouring in from around the world.

Moe Tucker

Ellen Frankman

Editors:

T.J. Raphael

J Martin from Spain

You were right Lou, ....... The electricity comes from other planets.....

Oct. 30 2013 03:28 PM
Eliyahu from Somerville, MA

Losing Lou is losing a piece of myself. Baruch dayan ha-emet.

Oct. 29 2013 07:44 AM
Matt Hough from Mobile,AL

You taught me Rock-n-Roll.

Oct. 28 2013 07:26 PM
Susan Goldberg from Provincetow, MA

Tragic and sad. Condolences to Laurie Anderson. The world has lost another great mover and shaker of music and art.

Oct. 28 2013 05:33 PM
RT from Santa Clara

My Lou Experience was calibrated to my age and the time. In the early '70s I didn't have my own record player and couldn't afford records anyway - so I Lou Reed was _Transformer_, on the radio. I knew more about the VU from reading Rolling Stone than from hearing the music - and from reading about Warhol (_Stargazer_). I discovered Delmore Schwartz from reading a Lou Reed interview before I ever heard a VU record!

When I got myself a record player and started collecting records I became a Jonathan Richman enthusiast before bootlegs, used LPs and finally, VU re-issues informed me (as Jonathan readily admitted) VU had done it all before.

Now, every kid has access to every recording ever made, without spending any money. Weird.

Best moment: Playing "Sweet Jane" over and over on my buddy's dad's stereo and blowing out both tweeters.

Oh please, Saint Germaine
I have come this way
Do you remember the shape I was in?
I had HORNS and FINS

I'm so free, I'm so free
I'm so free, I'm so free

In The Mornin', I'm So Free
In The Evenin' I'm So Free
I"M SO FREE, I'M SO FREE
I"M SO FREE, I'M SO FREE

Oct. 28 2013 03:38 PM
Feo from New York, NY

I remember the first time I heard the Velvet Underground, I was 15 at a stoner party. The Doors was on tv and there was the scene where they are at the factory, and in the background, Venus In Furs. I asked who was the group, sounded good, some random hippie replied "oh, thats Lou Reed, his music is dark, you probably wont like it." The next day I bought The Velvet Underground And Nico album, waited for my mom to leave the house, called my best friend over with his mothers best weed, I have something we have to listen to. We played the album 3 times in a row, heard European Son 5 times in a row and were fucking blown away. "Who is this guy?!" "What did we just discover?!" was all we could say. From then on it was Fuck The Beatles, Its all about The Velvet Underground. After that Transformers, Rock and Roll Animal, Berlin, the list goes on and on. His work literally changed my life. He is the reason why I am an artist, the reason why I live in New York, the reason I became a Punk, the reason for the person that I became. Thank you Lou, for everything, You changed my life and I am forever grateful. Today will not be a perfect day.

Oct. 28 2013 03:38 PM
John from Berkeley

Lou Reed made me cool.

Went to a small Colorado college in mid-70s and while everyone was listening to the Eagles and the Doobie Brothers, I cranked up Rock-N-Roll Animal. Everybody wanted to know what the music was and who was playing it. So this freshman got quickly adopted in by the cool kids. Thanks Lou.

Oct. 28 2013 03:15 PM
Mimi from San Francisco, CA

I remember my mother walking through the living room as my sisters and I listened to "Walk on the Wild Side". She stopped for a moment and listened and then said " I don't know what that song is about but don't play it when I am around". We as young teens didn't really know what it was about either but we loved it!

Oct. 28 2013 03:11 PM
Anne from Sacramento

Lou Reed came to Australia in the early to mid seventies. We waited for the performance to start. Two hours late, Lou Reed came onto the stage and was incomprehensible. He fell off the stage and there was no concert. Can't remember if the audience ever got their money back. He was a heavy drug user early on in his career hence the need for a liver transplant. It really is too bad, he was a great artist and performer and I have remained a fan.

Oct. 28 2013 03:10 PM
Arthur

Watch Faraway, so close.

Oct. 28 2013 02:29 PM
Rita from Little Rock, Arkansas

He was 3-D musically and philosophically and when I discovered Lou Reed in 1989 with NEW YORK...He helped me grow and get through it all. No one can replace him.

Oct. 28 2013 01:20 PM
Jerrold Richards from Lyle, Washington

1968, Ignorant kid from Montana, Carleton College dorm rooms, marijuana, Velvet Underground, well this sure isn't How Much Is That Doggie In The Window, for sure.

Oct. 28 2013 12:59 PM
Jason from Austin, TX

Lou, you meant so much to me, and to so many. You will live on forever through your music. Thank you for getting me through the dark times, and coming along for the good ones too.

Oct. 28 2013 12:58 PM
Shelley from Portland, OR

As soon as I turned sixteen in Atlanta, after school every day, I got into my little '74 Opel Manta with Lou's "Transformer" on cassette in a little boom box in the passenger's seat and drove anywhere...everywhere... exploring all the little twisting side streets for hours until I had to return home for dinner. That album defines my escape from a miserable home life and my passage into adulthood. Lou Reed will always represent bittersweet autonomy to me.

Oct. 28 2013 12:40 PM
Virlana Tkacz from St Mark's Place/ East Village

Lou Reed memorial last night on St Mark's Place near the old DOM
photo: Virlana Tkacz

Oct. 28 2013 10:10 AM
JC

Lou Reed's ballads were my guide to understanding New York City when I
first got here as both fable and foot path. The troubadour is dead and the city he
helped illuminate for me is sinking into some dim, unknown future. But
Reed the poet and the Reader of this city's soul will always remain, will
always stay true.

Oct. 28 2013 09:16 AM
Elizabeth from Aiken, SC

Thank you, Lou Reed for being part of many perfect days in my life. One example, my wedding day when my husband and I danced to "I Found a Reason."

Oct. 28 2013 09:11 AM