Introducing The Takeaway Bike Challenge

Monday, September 16, 2013

Bikes are taking over America. Major cities like New York, Chicago and San Francisco are launching public bike sharing systems for the first time, joining Boston, D.C. and Denver.

This week The Takeaway explores bike culture and invites you to add your voice to the conversation with our bike haiku challenge.

Today Adam Reilly, reporter for WGBH news; Alex Goldmark producer at WNYC with Transportation Nation; and Joy Diaz, reporter from KUT Austin, discuss America's bike revolution. Reilly, Goldmark and Diaz make up our team of three judges that will choose the top 10 cycle poems to read on air.

The contest opens on Monday, September 16 at 9:00 AM Eastern time and runs through Sunday, September 22 at 11:59 PM Eastern time. The winners get an exclusive prize of a Takeaway-branded bike helmet.

To find out more information about the challenge and to enter, click here.

Joy Diaz, Alex Goldmark and Adam Reilly

Cynthia Meredith from san antonio

FYI--the plural of haiku is haiku!

Sep. 17 2013 12:33 PM

Thank you all for commenting!

Several of you have left your haiku submissions in the comment section here. In order to participate you must enter through our official site using this link: www.thetakeaway.org/bikechallenge.

Your submissions will NOT be counted otherwise.

Thanks for commenting and good luck!

-T. J. Raphael
Digital Content Editor
The Takeaway

Sep. 17 2013 07:05 AM
Jim Vorderstrasse from Anchorage, Alaska

One of my favorite bikes is a recumbent Tour Easy that I bought in 1983. I have over 50,000 miles on that bike and I currently have it here in Anchorage where I ride it nearly every day, even in the winter. It is comfortable, stable, low go the ground and studded snow tires fit on it for the winter. Another one of my favorite bicycles is a tandem Double Vision recumbent that my wife and I have toured on. We love it and it is great fun to share with others. The stoker seat is easily adjustable and we have independent pedaling on it so it is quite friendly to those who are taking their first recumbent ride as well as their first tandem ride!

my haiku which I submitted at the contest site:

Recumbents will rule!
Bike of the future that's cool.
Laid back, a great tool!

Sep. 17 2013 02:24 AM
Zohar from Ukiah

Bicycle to work
Got zero gallons per mile
No gym required
Zohar- Ukiah, Ca. (Haiku back words )

Sep. 16 2013 09:28 PM
Robin Brown from Highland Park, NJ

I am thrilled to hear that John Hockenberry is a fellow trike rider. Mine is an apple green recumbent tricycle. I have the use of my legs, but my right leg doesn't push like my left. That's why rate an extra wheel.

Sep. 16 2013 03:59 PM
Robin Brown from Highland Park, NJ

There is a bike for everyone....

Sep. 16 2013 03:55 PM
Larry N. Davis from Napa, California

I am 68 yrs. old and ride 5.5 miles to work daily. I ride a Townie that says I am a senior and proud of it. I have lights all over me and the bicycle but still need to have an escape plan.

Sep. 16 2013 03:48 PM
jkdarrow from Marin County, CA

I'm a 66 year-old who lives on the side a steep hill. I ride a '67 Schwinn unmodified cruiser - that means no gears, coaster brake, upright posture. It's hard ride up, a slow ride down. Fits me just right.

-Jack Darrow

Sep. 16 2013 03:44 PM
Hannah from San Francisco, CA

My long tail cargo bike says I'm a soccer mom. It's an alternative to my minivan!

Sep. 16 2013 03:41 PM
Mike Sloan from Waycross Ga.

It turns many heads.
'Cause It has an engine kit.
I am proud of it.

Sep. 16 2013 03:11 PM
Laurel Glidden from Cedar City, Utah

Once ripping up trails
Two kids and lots of diapers
Oh how I miss you, my love

Sep. 16 2013 03:06 PM

Thank you all for commenting!

In order to officially enter the contest you must submit your entry here (http://bit.ly/15y24n1) and NOT in the comments. Thanks for listening and good luck to all of those participating!

T. J. Raphael
Digital Content Editor
The Takeaway

Sep. 16 2013 01:44 PM
Heather K from Portland, OR

My bike is a Univega Supra Sport, circa 1985 (except the silver fork replaced from a crash 20 years ago), a metallic powder blue, that is great shape and under me most days. It says about me, in haiku:

Steel frame says "sturdy".
Patina cries "old treasure"
A long-time partner.

I rode it in Connecticut as a teenager and young adult. It skipped a few years in DC, then moved out to me with Berkeley and Oakland, California for countless commutes to Cal. It's been in exceptional biking company in Portland, OR for almost a decade, accompanying my child on countless trips to school. I love my bike. It's a never-give-up-the-ride sort of thing!

I'm old but steady;
I love to fly on my wheels!
Freedom, not exhaust!

Sep. 16 2013 01:28 PM
John Burns from Lane County, Oregon

Biking or Radio
It seems like the people who do radio do not want people to ride
bikes. Every time I listen to the radio, someone keeps telling me what
is coming up. These coming up teases encourage people to ride alone in
cars because people will want to hear the radio story or interview that is coming up. One of the best places to listen to the radio is alone in cars. There is less distraction from other people and noise. I have tried to listen to the radio with ear buds as I ride my bike. It did not work out well. I almost crashed a few times. Stop saying "coming up". More people will ride their bikes.

Sep. 16 2013 01:20 PM
Maryna Ajaja from Seattle, Washington

Below find my biking haiku

Happy dog wind in teeth
but vulnerable human
without seat belt.

Sep. 16 2013 01:10 PM
Jerrold Richards from Lyle, Washington

There is debate in our neighborhood as to whether or not bicycle riders are a DNA-based life form. The argument centers on the clothes. No actual DNA-based life form would wear clothes like that. They must be invading aliens fron Zargon.

Sep. 16 2013 01:07 PM
Chuck from Portland OR

I bought my bike in 1987 to do "Ride the Rockies," a 402 mile bike ride over some hills in Colorado. Last year I used the same bicycle (with some new parts) to do "Cycle Oregon," another 400 plus mile ride here in Oregon. After 25 years (thanks to good mechanics) my bike is in great shape. I sadly have aged, gained weight, and gone grey. Just think what I'd feel like if I didn't put in several thousand miles every year.

Sep. 16 2013 12:59 PM
J Michael from San Antonio, TX

My bikes (full suspension mountain bikes) say I live in a fairly bike-friendly downtown San Antonio and also spend a lot of time on the city's linear park trails and the technical riding trails on ranch land in the nearby Texas Hill Country! I love that I can ride to my work most of the time!
Most of my vacations also involve mountain biking!

Sep. 16 2013 12:54 PM
Thomas Gratch from Detroit

Crain's Detroit Business has an article on Wheelhouse Detroit that was inspired by one of the many bike events in the city, the tour de troit. There are four bike manufacturers starting in Detroit in the last few years. Speaking of Criticle Mass, Detroit's CM group has been long active (since the 70's) and has now been join by other similar groups who have been showing off the city on two wheels for the last few years and much of the last decade. We also make cars.

Sep. 16 2013 10:07 AM