A New Era of Robotics & Artificial Intelligence

Thursday, January 30, 2014

How will human behavior evolve with the inclusion of intelligent robotics? (Shutterstock)

Last night, scientists, roboticists and ethicists gathered at The New School in New York City to discuss the very nature of robotic progression. As artificial intelligence (AI) makes a larger space within our lives, how will human behavior evolve with the inclusion of intelligent robotics?

Robot fanatics aren't the only ones with their eyes on the future of AI. Earlier this week, Google acquired the artificial intelligence start-up DeepMind for at least $500 million. It's Google's eighth acquisition of a robotics company in recent months, though what they plan on doing with the the new technology remains to be seen.

Joining The Takeaway to talk about the future of human interaction with robots are two panelists from last night's Robot Dialogues. Heather Knight is a social roboticist and researcher at Carnegie Mellon. Wendell Wallach is a lecturer at the Interdisciplinary Center for Bioethics at Yale University. Together they explain what humans can expect from robots over the next decade.

Heather Knight and Wendell Wallach

Ellen Frankman, Michael Petersen and Schuyler Swenson

Editors:

T.J. Raphael

Veronica from The New School

Great story! I was involved with the production of the "Robot Dialogues" panel, organized by the School of Media Studies at The New School, and just wanted to point out that the robot referred to here as Ruby is actually Agent Ruby, an artificial intelligence web agent created by artist/ filmmaker Lynn Hershman Leeson in 1998-2002. Agent Ruby can be interacted with here: http://agentruby.sfmoma.org/. Also, key organizer and moderator Peter Asaro can be heard in this story asking Agent Ruby questions.

Feb. 06 2014 05:48 PM
Paula McVay from Hillsboro, OR

I would like a robot running companion to pace me and encourage me.I started my running life as a grandma and perform better with encouragement.

Jan. 30 2014 08:11 PM
Kate from Brooklyn

I want a pet robot to keep me company while I work from home!!!

Jan. 30 2014 03:16 PM
Katrina Johnson from Rockwall, TX

I would have my robot clean my toilets and mop my floors. These are the jobs I hate. thanks.

Jan. 30 2014 12:40 PM
Jerrold Richards from Lyle, Washington

If I had a robot, perhaps like all the governments presently working in this area I would be thinking mainly in terms of having it kill my enemies. That would be convenient. The only little problem I see with this pleasant scenario would be preventing it from turning on me also. Especially if it figures out how to self-replicate.

The Foundation Series of science fiction novels by Isaac Asimov, along with his series about robots, provides a cautionary tale concerning this.

As a whole, these two series portray monstrous crime, crime beyond any reasonable comprehension. Humans build killing machines which swarm out into the galaxy, killing everything and everyone more developed than brine shrimp. The Westward Ho mentality carried to a logical extreme. In actual real life, of course, existing civilizations out in the galaxy might not be too thrilled with the concept, most likely would have had their own experiences with killing machines, and most likely could and would take sufficient steps to deal with the problem, which most likely would include the extermination of the species causing the problem in the first place.

Also, however, I think it is most unlikely indeed that such killer machines would not turn on their creators. In my opinion, Mr. Asimov never got over the stunning magnitude of the European Holocaust, and this permeated his writing. To our benefit, if we can see the warning message in there, and keep this warning clearly in mind as we move blithely into the robot age.

Jan. 30 2014 12:17 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

This summer I made a robot with my six year old in a class. The teacher asked my son,"What do you want your robot to do for you?"
He responded without hesitation,"I want my robot to go to school for me."
I was never more proud.

Jan. 30 2014 11:11 AM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

I don't want Robots calling me at home and pretending to be human and trying to sell me a time share in Florida.
Other than that,bring on the robots.

Jan. 30 2014 11:09 AM

I am a teacher and I would use my robot to grade student work so I could clean my own house and attend to my life outside the classroom. That tells you how many hours I work each week.

Jan. 30 2014 09:56 AM