Are Bicycle Shares Good for Business?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Charlie McCorkell's bike shop in New York City, Bicycle Habitat.

All this week on The Takeaway we're talking bicycles—bicycle music, bicycle haikus, and bike share programs springing up across the country.

The Takeaway sat down and talked with two bike shop owners to get their opinion of bike sharing systems. Charlie McCorkell is the owner of Bicycle Habitat in New York City and Ashanti Austin is the co-owner of the Hub Bike Co-op in Minneapolis.

Both agree that bike shares are a positive force in their community—but it has affected their businesses in different ways.

For Austin, bike sharing programs have had a positive effect on her business—she says such programs have helped her bike shop by producing bicycle enthusiasts. McCorkell, on the other hand, says that New York City's CitiBike program has driven his bike rental business off a cliff and he’s selling less bikes.

A special thanks to Charlie McCorkell for donating the prizes for this contest. And on that note, don't forget to submit a haiku about your bike or bike riding experience here.

Ashanti Austin and Charlie McCorkell

Megan Quellhorst

Editors:

T.J. Raphael

eric from mpls

Minneapolis
The Greenway is my highway
Passing on your left

Sep. 20 2013 09:54 PM
Lara from SoHo

This photo is us at our most gritty, as it was taken during Hurricane Sandy - we had no power, so the gates were closed and we were operating outside to help people get to work while the subways were closed.

Had bike share been around during the storm, a lot more New Yorkers could've had options for getting to work.

Sep. 20 2013 09:45 AM
cliff Sanderlin from Edmonds, WA

From burbs to meeting,
my bike plus bus
Bus arrives, all racks full

Sep. 18 2013 11:09 PM
Joe Schaedler from Minneapolis

No bike space at home
Take a bike leave a bike works
To get me through town

Sep. 18 2013 02:39 PM
Joe Schaedler from Minneapolis

I live in an apartment building without enough space to store a bike out of the elements. Thus I went without a bike for the better part of a decade because of this space limitation. It's only through the Mpls-St Paul bike sharing program that I could get back on the "saddle" and start using a bike again to get around town.

Sep. 18 2013 02:23 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Stationary bike