Does Your Sister Make You Happy?

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:49 AM

We're talking about a new study that finds people who have sisters tend to be happier. Tell us about your sister. Does she make you happy or drive you nuts? How so?

Tags:

More in:

createive from Chicago

My adult sister (3 years younger at 43) moved in with me after my divorce. Simply she drives me crazy. While I love her and she is my only and closest living relative, my life with her was much better when she did not live with me. I don't think it has changed since we were children. Same dynamic, different day. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Mar. 19 2011 05:07 PM
Peej from kentucky

Things and time changes relationships whatever..
between human beings. I don't really know what happened between my 2 sisters and I . Just grew up and moved on...Love and concern are still there.

Nov. 22 2010 01:26 PM
Ruby Johnson from New Jersey

My sister drives me nuts, now that we are grown up. She doesn't like my wanting everything to be "so exact." I think she's too casual as a mother. She speaks in euphemisms: once, she said her daughter-in-law had "a bun in the oven," instead of saying she was pregnant.

Nov. 17 2010 04:35 PM
Ann from Wherever I'm living

What about people who function as sisters? I have relationships with women I would describe as sisterly - and they make me quite happy - while I am perfectly content to never talk to my flesh and blood sister. Talking to her makes me sad.

Nov. 02 2010 12:53 PM
Leslie Felner from New Jersey

I think that the question is not posed correctly. Rather it should be : "How well do you get along with your sister?"
I am not sure that siblings are suppose to make us happy but rather we should get along to make sure that we function as a family unit. This is not always the case in many families for one reason or another.

Nov. 01 2010 07:38 AM
By text from New York

My sister is and has always been my sanity, my comfort, my home. When she was born I was so excited to "have a best friend what lives with me," and she has.

Oct. 31 2010 05:37 PM
By text from Winchester, Mass.

My sister drives me nuts. Because she is our only girl and three brothers she thinks she can get away with everything worked when we were young but not in now

Oct. 31 2010 05:35 PM
The oldest from MidWest

I have three sisters and have a different relationship with each of them. I am quite close with one of my sisters and we talk often, see the world somewhat similarily, and trust is the glue that cements us together. I have a pleasant, surface relationship with another sister...she and I do not see the world the same way at all and our relationship is best when we go our separate ways and check in from time to time. The relationship with the third sister is the most difficult and has been since we were young. There is no trust between us and at times it is difficult to even be civil when we have a conversation. We do not speak the same "language" and our connection points are fraught with stilted conversation. We are at our best when we email as conversation versus face-to-face or by phone and we limit our interactions.

Oct. 31 2010 12:47 PM
Susan Aurinko from Chicago/Cincinnati

Although my sister and I are 11 years apart, with no siblings in between, now that we are both adults, we are best friends, who talk about absolutely everything, support each other in thick and thin, and see each other as often as possible. Even though we were, in effect, both only children when we were young, we are both so grateful we have each other now. We still laugh about the days when we really didn't know each other, but are firmly and truly sisters in every sense of the word.

Oct. 30 2010 12:36 PM
Christine Greer from Portland, OR

My sister is the best person I know and while she isn't perfect she has made me a better and happier person. Having her as a dear friend has provided me with a peace and joy like nothing else in this life.

Oct. 30 2010 03:40 AM

My sister (younger) and I are worlds apart, always have been, haven't talked to her in 6 years, since I took Dad's checkbook away, when she was stealing from our folks. She didn't even come to her parents' funerals. Despite her learning problems growing up, she's more properly labeled as Aspbergers, and is probably a closet sociopath. Won't get help either. I am 400 miles away from her, but am always a little in fear she'll just "show up" and I'll have to deal with her. Not fun.

Oct. 29 2010 05:59 PM
By text from Lubbock, Tex.

She is a brilliant and creative soul. She has has set an example for me in resiliency of spirit.

Oct. 29 2010 02:01 PM
Listener via text from FL

I love this one! Yes my sister is my world, we r 1 year (I'm older) apart and hated one another durin our teen yrs but now, we are great friends. A lot of my inspiration comes from her. We're beginnin a small paddleboard business together, have many more ideas for the future and she currently is on Survivor Nicaragua, she's still strong! I truly am happier because of my sis and my fam in general. :)

Oct. 29 2010 01:39 PM
Denitta from Miami

My sister is my best friend. I never get tired of hanging out with her. She gets me in ways our parents or other family or friends don't. I couldn't imagine life without her and I don't want to.

Oct. 29 2010 01:37 PM
Wayne from NE

My sisters are wonderful people who bring great happiness to my life.

Oct. 29 2010 01:28 PM
Listener via text from Ramsey, NJ

My sisters openly hate me n I hate them. We have a big family from each of my parents too marriages & they hate me b/c my father wasn't with them growing up but with me.

Oct. 29 2010 01:20 PM
Listener via text from Hackensack, NJ

Drive me nuts

Oct. 29 2010 01:18 PM
Jonathan from Columbia, SC

I hope they didn't spend too much on that study. There is also a correlation between people who use pens and and own homes. It just means nothing.

Oct. 29 2010 01:15 PM
Listener via text from Salt Lake City, UT

My sisters drive me insane and make me feel bad about myself. I'm in my late 30's and the youngest, I still get anxious if I know I am going to spend time with them.

Oct. 29 2010 01:15 PM
Natasha from Miami, FL

I don't have a sister, but always wished I had one. Older or younger, it just would've been nice to have a female sibling to talk with and bond with over 'girl' stuff.

Oct. 29 2010 01:14 PM
Listener via text from Providence, RI

She no longer drives me nuts since we haven't spoken in over a year!

Oct. 29 2010 01:13 PM
Text from Michigan

I dont have any sisters. 2 half brothers.

Oct. 29 2010 01:13 PM
Durand Parker from Facebook

I love my sister so very much, though it's very challenging to interact with her most of the time. She's very successful and has many good qualities, yet it's difficult to enjoy my time with her because most of it is just an exercise in walking on eggshells around her to stave off any arguing, which would raise my mom's blood pressure. I'm happy to see her, yet because I must self- subjugate myself to accommodate her every whim, I'm emotionally exhausted by the time she leaves. This comment will self destruct very shortly.

Oct. 29 2010 01:05 PM
Leah Johnson from Facebook

My younger sister and I had the most cantankerous relationship growing up, but now that we're adults she's confessed she has idolized me her whole life and was pretty much acting out back then. She even listed me as one of her heroes in a paper she did in college. Now we commiserate about our mother.

Oct. 29 2010 01:05 PM