The songs that torture us

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

“Babylon” by Welsh singer-songwriter David Gray was a hit a few years ago, but apparently it’s also a hit among interrogators at the military facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Skeptic

This show is torture. And not funny at all.

Jul. 23 2008 03:49 PM
Larson

This whole segment and the Take Away (like take away any self respect that NPR has left) is appalling. I'm assuming the decent producers at and contributors to NPR will quickly demand that this show (and similar crap) be canned. If not, my donations to NPR and my daily listening will stop. It's become apparent that NPR has given in to the "seedier" side of radio entertainment (and it's impossible to even call this drivel entertainment). Why don't you guys just sponsor a "Real,live' torture " on-air? That way you'll fit right in with all of the reality shows on cable. I have to say that I am very disappointed.

Jul. 17 2008 09:23 PM
Joe Huybens

I could barely believe that even a show as poor as The Takeaway would make light about this. Why not do a survey of people's most favorite physical torture methods? "Ooh, well, I like testicle-popping with a pair of pliers", "Mmm, I think the worst is waterboarding while you have a hangover"... Trite, idiotic and insensitive: clearly a reflection on the producers and presenters that this was considered appropriate.

If anyone needed an example of why this show should be axed, this segment is surely it.

Jul. 17 2008 09:17 AM
James F.

Unconscionable, I already had my misgivings about The Takeaway but what I heard this my doubts were confirmed. There is no excuse at all, ever, for making light of torture, especially when it is being practiced in our name. You both and your staff should be ashamed of yourselves. I will turn my radio off at 8 am from now until your show is gone, and I am calling today to cancel my monthly pledge to WNYC. Just Disgusting!

Jul. 16 2008 10:04 AM
Evelyn C.

"Don't Worry, Be Happy". I'm ordinarily a reasonably happy person, but that song made me worry about my sanity!

And, of course, now that I've thought about it, it'll make endless circles around the inside of my head for who KNOWS how long... :^o

Jul. 16 2008 01:35 AM
phleabo

Wow. I really admire the way your program managed to take evidence that our government is engaged in doing something morally abhorrent and antithetical to the very essence of our country, and reduce it to an idiotic puff piece.

I realize the standards of journalism in our country have gone entirely down the toilet, but I might have expected a bit better from something on public radio. Kudos to you for your enthusiastic defecation on my last remaining shred of respect for broadcast media. The only thing sadder than this story is the enthusiastic response it's apparently getting from your listeners.

Jul. 15 2008 05:31 PM