When Did You Stand Up to Your Bank, Phone Company, Landlord?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:12 AM

Some home owners are putting a halt to their foreclosures by pointing to flaws in the bank's paperwork. It's even leading to some backs putting a moratorium on all their foreclosure proceedings. We're asking about the times you stood up to institutions like this. When have you faced off with your bank, your phone company, your cable provider? What happened?

Tags:

More in:

Megan from Oklahoma City

I was incredibly persistant with a large hospital/health care campus to the point of getting the attention of one of their CEOs in order to finally get an outlandishly overcharged bill corrected.

I have a blog post about the whole ordeal here:

Oct. 13 2010 09:53 AM
Jonathan from Columbia, SC

Words mean nothing to a capitalist.

Oct. 12 2010 12:19 PM
Scott (By text) from Detroit, MI

Yes. I closed account, then learned several months later when i was buying a car that they had charged me fees n sent me to collections

Oct. 12 2010 12:18 PM
By text from Pontiac, MI

I stood up. The bureaucrats backed down..only to scrutinize the hell out of my stuff, later on. It's why so many don't ever inform boss types of erroneous work.

Oct. 12 2010 12:18 PM
Brien from Facebook

My bank? Yup. They nailed me once with a $35 late fee on a credit-card balance about half that, all because my payment was credited on a Monday and its impossible-to-meet due date was Saturday or Sunday when no biz is transacted (that's ......become the rule rather than the exception). The (unilateral) contractual wording basically means that a "timely" payment would have had to have been in its hands no later than Thursday.

My phone company? Yup. Comin' right up. In person. This Thursday. Or Friday. Sometime between 9AM and 5PM.

My landlord? No. I've been lucky and/or selective. But, I've also never lived in a multiple-occupancy building where the tenant more customarily deals with a brutish and bullying "management company."

Oct. 12 2010 12:16 PM