What Did You Achieve Before 26?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 01:37 PM

So you may not have created Facebook before you were 26. But what did you consider your greatest achievement before that age? John and Celeste have been weighing in.

John:

When I was 26, I was still in my job as newscaster for the public radio show “All Things Considered.” I hadn’t even left the United States once or even visited New York City —the place where I have lived for more than 18 years. I was still married to my first wife —the divorce was still a few years away. I hadn’t met my current wife or had our first set of twins, or our second set of twins, or our fifth child or… I could go on. The best part of the story certainly came later.

Celeste:

At 26, I was heading back to school to get a master's degree after working for two years in Seattle as a some-time actor and full-time dispatcher. I had met the man I thought I would marry but he would be the father of my son and never my husband. In fact, I didn't think I ever wanted to have children. I hated all country music and Kafka. My best friends were the people I went to high school and undergraduate school. I was just emerging from my cocoon — testing my wings, making bad decisions and trying not to deal with the consequences, imagining myself as the kind of person I admired and then trying to be the person I imagined.

Tags:

More in:

Tony from NYC

I was hired as a junior graphic designer at 21 at a major record label here in NYC. My goal was become an Art Director by the time I was 30. I was promoted to AD by age 24 and had to set some new goals. It was the stuff dreams are made of.

Oct. 01 2010 08:47 AM
Jules from Denver

When I was 26 I got married. Eight months later, we were separated. In that time I had my own band (singer/ songwriter) and traveled to Hawaii courtesty of an artistic collaborator, ceramicist Toshiko Takaesu. By the time my next birthday rolled around, I was headed for 13 years of blissful single life, ten years in NYC and, when I was finally really ready, I found my husband and married for real. 26 was the real start of my adulthood.

Sep. 30 2010 06:00 PM
Kurt from Facebook

I became fluent in French, and thus finally bilingual.

Sep. 30 2010 03:03 PM
Mary Jane from Facebook

My Awesome Children!! Jo Lyn, Mallory, and Beau!!

Sep. 30 2010 03:03 PM
Natasha from Miami, FL

A study abroad during the last semester of my BA to the Czech and Slovak Republics. I developed a love for those countries and rediscovered myself.

Sep. 30 2010 02:51 PM
By text from Providence, RI

Having my wonderful children

Sep. 30 2010 02:51 PM
By text from Pontiac, MI

I did meet Ali once but my greatest achievement was proving that Christ was black in a 7th grade Religion class

Sep. 30 2010 02:50 PM
Tamara from Baltimore, Md. (By text)

Realizing my goal of working in the fashion industry in SoHo, NY. I got paid mega bucks for it. Now, I'm not doing the same thing, but inretrospect I did set out what I meant to do. Now I'm on track to become a pricinpal, or super for a major city. I may not be there yet, as I had to start from square one, but I count my blessings because slowly but surely, I'm on my way!

Sep. 30 2010 02:50 PM
By text from Michigan

Not sure. I guess i would say meeting barry sanders.

Sep. 30 2010 02:49 PM