Workplace Discrimination against Muslim Americans on the Rise

Friday, September 24, 2010

In 2009, workplace discrimination against Muslims rose 20 percent to a record 803 claims, according to federal data cited in the New York Times.

We sat down with the author of the article, Times labor and workplace reporter Steven Greenhouse, along with Arsalan Iftikhar,  an Muslim- American international human rights lawyer and founder of themuslimguy.com, to discuss why these numbers have increased and what could be the cause.

fahim from multan

Asalam u Alicom
i know how to read holy Quan .if you wants your child learn of holy Quan ..

contact us
fahimpakk@gmail.com

Sep. 20 2012 08:10 AM
Sean M from East Gosford

helpless as shit...

May. 28 2012 12:54 AM
eaharris from Anaheim, CA

No sympathy for the Disney worker. She understood the terms of her employment, that there is a strict costume code at Disneyland, at the time she took the job. Two year later she wants the rules to not apply to her? Please. No employee at Disneyland is allowed religious wear, or visible piercings/tattoos if they interact with the public. You can wear a hijab or a yarmulke or a ginormous rosary all you want, but you will be assigned job backstage. Disney sells a whole experience, and the employees' appearance is a part of that experience. Have you noticed the cast members playing princess characters are always pretty young women? Shouldn't a fat old man be able to sue them for discrimination then? Disney had not been unreasonable, they offered her several options - work backstage, work wearing a head-covering that match the theme of the theme-restaurant where she works - and she's refused them all saying she's 'insulted' by the offers. I bet she wouldn't be insulted by the go-away money that Disney will eventually pay her, which is what she wants in the first place. Who has deeper pockets than Disney?

Sep. 24 2010 11:35 PM
Karl

You have to wonder how many of these are just "mind-ccrimes" thought up by the Muslims themselves so that they can get privileged victim status. Here is an example of just one of the many crimes done by Muslims, blamed on Non-Muslims:

Sep. 24 2010 11:05 AM
Zahara from Hoboken

I’m an American Muslim woman who began practicing Islam in 1996 and started wearing the Hijab there after. For couple of years, I had minimum job discriminations until 9-11. After experiencing many difficulties in landing a stable job for one reason or the other, I decided to modify my Hijab (wearing it in a bun at the back instead of the traditional way of wearing it). In the last couple of years, I quit wearing my headscarf totally for work due to discriminations in getting a good job. I currently work without the headscarf, which I hate with a passion. However, some people at work do know that am Muslim. I’m proud to say am Muslim when am asked due to the way I dress or carry my self, and when I was asked several times in Ramadan “come to lunch with us” or why I wasn’t eating something offered to me. After a year at my job, am thinking about wearing the "bun" Hijab at work fully, as I do it every Friday without any questions or stares anymore.

Sep. 24 2010 09:28 AM
dbmetzger from manhattan

the original story from AP concerning attire at Disney World.
Muslim Employee: Disney Banned Her Head Scarf
A Muslim woman who works as a hostess at a Disneyland restaurant alleged the theme park would not allow her to wear her hijab in front of customers. Disney says the scarf was not a part of her costume and the decision was not discriminatory. http://www.newslook.com/videos/242792-muslim-employee-disney-banned-her-head-scarf?autoplay=true

Sep. 24 2010 06:16 AM