Lend Us Your Ears And Send Us Your Sounds!

The BBC is collecting "endangered sounds." Join the effort!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The modem. The rotary phone. "You've Got Mail!" These are sounds you may not hear much longer. The Takeaway is joining the BBC World Service in a project called Save Our Sounds. From all over the globe, people are sending in sound clips that they think should be saved. BBC Producer Kate Arkless Gray joins John and Femi to talk about the project. Send us your sound here. You can also follow the project on Twitter.

Kate Arkless Gray

Hosted by:

Femi Oke

Contributors:

Nadia Zonis

Bruce F.

... and this is why I have a rotary phone. Saved for when I need it.

Jun. 17 2009 01:34 PM
Lisa Romeo

The clatter of keys on a manual typewriter, and on an electric typewriter too.

When I was a kid, in my grandmother's neighborhood in Paterson, NJ, a guy came around in a truck to sharpen knives and scissors; I remember the sound of that sharpening belt turning.

There was also a little truck that came around those streets with a small (4 sear) ferris wheel on the back and a bit of carnival-like music played to announce his arrival.

The sound of our milk box lid being closed in the very early morning hours.

Someday, the sound of my mailbox opening and closing (the one outside of my house) may be gone too.

Jun. 17 2009 11:14 AM
Rosemary

The sound of listening to a vinyl record when the tone arm hits a scratch, and the music repeats over and over unless you nudge it or put a nickel on the tone arm to make it slide over the scratch.

Jun. 17 2009 10:53 AM
Jack

The sound of an eight track player clacking as it changes tracks.

Jun. 17 2009 10:49 AM
Jane

The threading sound of a motion picture projector.

Jun. 17 2009 10:06 AM
Katia

Oh yes, and....the sound of a crank window in a vehicle being lowered! This one inspired by my 1992 Honda Civic. :)

Jun. 17 2009 09:37 AM
Katia

I heard that John already mentioned the dot matrix printer...how about the sound of coins falling into the coin box of a pay phone, or the clink of the little door in the change return (where most of us used to check to see if anyone had forgotten to retrieve their change)? For that matter, the digital-sounding ring of my 6-year-old cell phone is quickly becoming a thing of the past, giving way to actual songs. The sound of the games of an original NES system.

These days, it seems like even the sound of a pen on paper is a thing of the past--how about the scratch of a fountain pen?

Jun. 17 2009 09:36 AM