Jobs, Unemployment and the Danger of the Double-Dip

Friday, September 03, 2010

All eyes are on the Department of Labor's monthly jobs report, scheduled to be released this morning. Economists predict the report will show small gains in the jobs market - between 40,000 and 70,000. But they are concerned that if job creation numbers are too low, the overall unemployment rate could still rise - making the report an indicator that the economy could be heading for a "double-dip" back into recession.

What is your personal jobs report? How would you characterise YOUR job situation? Is it scarier or safer than last month? Let us know in the comments below or text the word TAKE to 69866.

We are joined by Prof. William Rodgers, Chief Economist at Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

Here are comments we received so far on Facebook:

I've been laid off twice in the last 14 months, and am facing eviction from my apartment. After sending out countless resumes since departing from my last job a month ago, I was finally called for not one but TWO interviews on the same day and, this morning, am heading in for my first of two "working interviews" as follow ups. Soooo...It's still scary, but perhaps looking up? —Erin Hoff

Safer. —Rusty Roy

I quit my job last year, right when the economy was really starting to collapse. I'm studying to be an ESL teacher, and hope to be employed in fall 2011, here in the Boston area somewhere. I could've kept my old job, but it was making me ...miserable, and I needed the time to study, anyway.
I'm watching the ebb and flow of the status of education spending and policy with interest and fear. I understand ESL jobs are projected to remain pretty abundant in the near future, at least, so I'm not terribly worried. But I'm worried that maybe I ought to be worried, you know what I mean?
—Kurt Kaletka

I look at this world like for the most part too many people both played the short con and oversold themselves on themselves. 4 years of college and you're ready for anything... Hah... Just because you got a job, it doesn't mean that job act...ually needed to be done, and the really sad problem is that this college and work experience often doesn't equip people with what they need most when times are tough, the ability to create something sustainable on their own. This Labor Day will mark 15 years since I began working with the Native American bandleader standing next to me in my profile pic. Sure, his playing at Carnegie Hall was fun, but we've also been through 9/11 destroying the neighborhood where Frank had a steady gig for years, all kinds of ups and downs and reversals, but now it's incredibly like a scene from The Razor's Edge, as if Frank is a modern day Larry Darrell helping the burned out Gray Maturin. That's why last night's gig in Harlem ended with a booking agent walking up to Frank before he'd even gotten off the stage saying, "I need your card..." —Angelo J. Falanga

As more people go unemployed, my business is getting slower and slower...—James Ellsworth

William Rodgers

Kateri A. Jochum

Jesi from from Atlanta, GA

Due to a lack of work, my job as a contractor was cancelled. Business had slowed a lot because of the economy. I send out about 30 applications a week, to jobs I am qualified for, and have maybe 2 call backs. After a month, I think I will have to look into the over-qualified for area.

Sep. 08 2010 10:05 AM
Josh from Detroit, MI

I have a job and that is saying a lot in the enviroment I live. Yet, to say the coined phrase " You should be happy to have a job", is growing tiresome. I am 28 a military vet, also have am associates. Will continue with the education whn more finacially stable. Yet, am disgusted that I can only find minimum wage jobs here. Going to move in 8 monthsyet doubt I'll have any luck.

Sep. 05 2010 03:07 PM
Katia

Mia, I hope that is not your real name or location. If it is, I hope your employer wasn't listening yesterday...

Sep. 04 2010 09:49 PM
Buck from Minneapolis

Employers are going to keep underpaying their full-time help and hiring temps because they don't have to do any differently. My bosses aren't hurting, executives *never* do, and they really don't care about easily replaceable office peons. Get used to it, serfdom is returning. Nobody is indispensable, ever. Low wages, long hours, and robber-baron bosses. Just like the Golden Days.

Sep. 03 2010 09:39 AM
larry da junkman from East Williamsburg Brooklyn

I am a fifty year old man, who has worked as a junkman for twenty years. I buy estates and resell items in my store, at flea markets, ebay and Amazon.
The combination of real estate rent and the new york economy might force me to close the store.

I still will be a junkman and will have more money. The only reason I keep the store open now is because it would make a good set for a television show.

Aren't they going to have The Junkman Network soon?I am hanging out waiting for a Producer with deep pockets to approach me. Until then, I'll be opening up boxes, looking for that unclaimed lottery ticket

Sep. 03 2010 09:29 AM
Wil from Miami

I am in my late fifties, a white collar professional during all my life earning decent money and always with great employer benefits. For example, ten years ago I was earning over $65,000 a year with full benefits (healthcare, life insurance, retirement, etc). Today due to lay-offs, I have had to accept a job where I earn $35,000 a year with NO benefits!
Recently, I had to go to the emergency room (for a true emergency) and I now find myself with thousands of dollars in medical debt. I am not eligible for any type of medical asistance - The reason is that I am single and earn too much. I can't afford private sector insurance which would cost me between $900-$1,000 a month. For all of those who oppose access to affordable healthcare for people like me, I hope in never find yourself in my situation!

Sep. 03 2010 09:17 AM
Mia from Westchester, NY

I am lucky because my job (I believe) is safe. But over the last year or year and a half because of lay-offs, restructuring, and down sizing my responsibilities have grown and I am asked to do much much more with much much less. I used to love my job and was willing to trade a big salary to do something I enjoyed and was proud of, but I don't feel that way about my job any more. I would quit but I have had no luck finding another job. My family depends on my salary and heath care coverage. I feel like my options are so limited if there are any.

Sep. 02 2010 01:54 PM