Stanley Cup: Will the Red Wings Cheer Up Detroit?

The Pittsburgh Penguins will challenge Detroit for the hockey championships

Friday, June 12, 2009

With the auto industry in crisis, Detroit residents are looking to their NHL team, the Red Wings, to bring a smile to their city. Tonight the Red Wings battle the Pittsburgh Penguins for hockey's Stanley Cup. The Takeaway talks to Red Wings fans Michele Rastelli and Jason Dritsan about the city's hopes for a win.

Highlights from Game 6:

Michele Rastelli

Hosted by:

Farai Chideya

Contributors:

Melissa Locker

fix basement cracks inside

Superb, what a blog it is! This blog presents helpful data
to us, keep it up.

Mar. 06 2013 11:49 PM
Dave Brubeck

Yes hockeytown you have me figured out.
After thirty years of following the dead around in my vw camper van I was taken by surprise when Jerry died. I was lost, what will I do my only skills are selling electric koolaid and veggie burritos. I wondered aimlessly for several years searching for the meaning of life like Dean Moriarty in Kerouac's novel On the road. Then one day while tending to my magic mushroom garden I suddenly realized Hockey was my calling. I dusted off the bus and hit the road. I can once again be found in the lot selling my burritos and Koolaid, only this time to rich hockey fans not cheap concert fans that always tried for freebies. Business is booming and I can hardly wait for next season. Look for my van it's the yellow one with greenpeace stickers in the rear window and I'll give you a burrito on the house.

Jun. 14 2009 10:26 PM
hockeytown

Murder rates? Are you serious? Shut up you stupid hippy, there is no room for hippies in hockey...sit back and watch the pens get pounded

Jun. 12 2009 12:45 PM
Dave Brubeck

The connection between the blood in the streets of Detroit and the violence in the hockey rink is the same as the relation to the violence in the Coliseum in Rome and the collapse of the Roman empire. Detroit is a self destructing city it is not under attack form a foreign invasion. Just as the Roman empire collapsed as a result of the moral breakdown of the populace so has Detroit. The violence in the rink has the same cultural symbolism as the violence in the coliseum.

Jun. 12 2009 11:12 AM
Kristen

What the hell does that have to do with hockey? Detroit fans are the best fans in the world. The Wings bring them together... They bring the whole city together. Your statistics hold no truth at JLA.

The guys on the team also have CLASS. Something the Pens are severely lacking. So.. we're going to 'murder' the Pens tonight. No question about it.

Jun. 12 2009 11:07 AM
Nate

Well Pittsburgh your igloo is melting and we will beat the Sh-- out of you guys tonight.. and yes what does murder statistics have to with hockey, we know we will kill the penquins tonight... (lol)GO Red Wings!!!!!!!

Jun. 12 2009 10:40 AM
Marie

Lets go pens!

Jun. 12 2009 09:46 AM
Jennifer

What does the murder rate have to do with how well a hockey team performs????

Jun. 12 2009 09:29 AM
Dave Brubeck

I hope Detroit does not win the cup.
The people of Detroit have the highest murder rate in the country with 37 murders per 100,000 residents.
Pittsburgh has a much lower murder rate thus they deserve to have a winning team. The leaders of Detroit have driven the city into debt and the condition of the city looks like Berlin at the end of WWII. When the people get up clean up the town and quit killing each other then Detroit should have a winning team.

Jun. 12 2009 08:52 AM