Playlist: Musicians sing the blues as an economic downturn changes tour plans

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The downturn in the economy is changing the music business. New bands can't afford to tour, and the ones that do spend more on gas than they do on hotel rooms. The Takeaway's resident musician, Jack “The Martini Cowboy” Grace, sings the blues about the highs and lows of touring when times are tough.
Guest: Jack “The Martini Cowboy” Grace, The Takeaway’s resident musician

Scott

"Hard Rain" by Bob Dylan

"Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin’, Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter, Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley, And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard, And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall."

Jul. 31 2008 05:32 PM
Anne

"Poor Old Dirt Farmer" sung by Levon Helm 2007

Jul. 31 2008 10:41 AM
Nili

My vote for Hard Times theme song is: "Happy Days Are Here Again" - the song that became an anthem of hope during the Great Depression. If you think it seems dated, just listen and you'll probably find yourself humming the song for days afterward: It's catchy, it's peppy and it's a perfect cheer-up song.

Jul. 31 2008 08:29 AM
Jonathan

since Jack already chipped in with "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It" and Adam in Harlem beat me to the spellbindingly sorrowful "Dust Bowl", i'll just ask why so many songs dealing with economic hardship are by Van Halen or about dogs, if not both? also, does Jack know any good songs ABOUT Van Halen BY dogs?

until soon, Jonathan ( LES)

Jul. 31 2008 08:13 AM
JAQUELYN KISZEWSKI

wHEN I FIRST HEARD ABOUT THIS PLAYLIST THIS MORNING, I THOUGHT, 'GREAT!MUSIC TO CHEER US UP IN THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN.' I'M NO POLLYANNA, BUT I DO SOMETIMES TURN TO MUSIC TO BRIGHTEN MY MOOD. I STILL WILL SUBMIT MY FIRST CHOICE: "MOVE ON UP" BY CURTIS MAYFIELD. (ALSO SAMPLED BY KANYE WEST IN "TOUCH THE SKY")
THANK YOU.

Jul. 31 2008 07:53 AM
Adam Lewis

"Dust Bowl" by: 10,000 MANIACS....Wow, what devastating imagery !!!

"The Hard Times" by: KISS....they hit the nail right on the head .

Absolutely LOVE your show. I listen EVERY morning. Thanks for all of your hard work !

-Adam in Harlem

Jul. 31 2008 07:32 AM
Mike

"It's Money That I Love", by Randy Newman. (By the way, the Donna Summer song featured on the show was actually from 1983, not the '70s).

Jul. 31 2008 07:14 AM
Les Aldridge

For this time, I suggest 'The Restless Consumer' by Neil Young (from 'Living with War').
But to be more upbeat, I keep humming 'You've gotta have heart' and 'High Hopes'.

Jul. 31 2008 07:10 AM
Leslie

How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live - Ry Cooder
Nobody Wants You When You're Down and Out - Bobby Womack
Shipbuilding - Robert Wyatt

Jul. 31 2008 07:06 AM
Richie Lopez

The Kinks - Superman

Jul. 31 2008 07:04 AM
ted nellen

_money's too tight to mention_
simply red