Is Obama Abandoning the Public Option?

Discussion turns to not-for-profit co-ops

Monday, August 17, 2009

Over the weekend, representatives of the Obama administration started signaling that various aspects of proposals to reform health care may be more negotiable than previously expected. Teddy Roosevelt first inserted national health coverage as a party plank 97 years ago, in 1912 – as the debate grinds on in D.C., on the air, and across the country, is it "déjà vu all over again?"

In a town hall debate symbolically held in Grand Junction, Colorado, the President gave signs that the public option, previously cited as a critical piece of any reform of the health care system, may not be an absolute deal breaker. We talk to Julie Mason, White House reporter for the Washington Examiner and Dr. Michael Pramenko, a family physician in Grand Junction.

Julie Mason and Dr. Michael Pramenko

Hosted by:

Amy Holmes and Katherine Lanpher

Contributors:

Hsi-Chang Lin

ginger baker

i am very disappointed in the Dems and in Obama. The control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency can't seem to bring "Change." And is MoveOn.Org still on summer break? Where is the pressure from Obama's base?

Aug. 17 2009 12:34 PM
Erwin

I am ashamed to have voted for Obama.
He does not have the intestinal fortitude or character to stand up to a good political fight. I might as well have stayed home on election day. The public option was key to health care reform.

Erwin

Aug. 17 2009 11:05 AM
Carl Ian Schwartz

The insurance lobbyists must be jubilant! I can just see Karen Ignani going "Whee!"

The ignorant, self-entitled American populace--expecially from the Red States--is screwed and too stupid to know it.

Aug. 17 2009 10:53 AM
wayne

As Obama and the Dems fold why not face the elephant in the room. The insurance firms own our public officials and they're working hard to appear they are fighting for what most Americans want.

The insurance lobby is one of the most powerful and they ALWAYS win.

Aug. 17 2009 10:43 AM
carolita johnson

I just don't understand why we're not looking at how other countries do it.

I am an American, but I have lived under national health coverage for 12 years, in France. I was only covered for 6 of those years because I was not a legal resident for 6. But even when I was not covered, paying full price was so much cheaper than it would have been here.

The public clinics I used to use were all immaculate and efficient. I could walk in and see a doctor whenever I needed to. If one clinic was crowded, I could go to another, one subway stop away.

I never had a doctor propose any unnecessary treatments on the grounds that "you have health insurance, so why not?" (which has happened here). I was actually grateful for that system over there. Grateful! How many people can say they're grateful about their insurance here?

Aug. 17 2009 10:33 AM
Carole Gersten

I believe there should be a public option to compete with the insurance companies. without it they will not bring down premiums, drug and co-pay costs. If this deal does go thru what I feel is totally non-negotiable are no pre-existing conditions and subsidy for people who can't afford insurance.

Aug. 17 2009 09:58 AM