Lay all your love on me: Mamma Mia! breaks all British box office records

Thursday, December 18, 2008

You can dance, you can jive, and the UK is having the time of its life with Mamma Mia! The movie has blown British box office records away surpassing Titanic and the Harry Potter series. A bemused Paddy O'Connell feels the beat of the tambourine with John and Adaora from London.

What musical, movie, or song do you listen to or watch when you need a little shot of sunshine on these dark winter recessionary days?

Paddy O'Connell

Contributors:

Kent DePinto

Ken

Listening to this segment points out one of the many reasons I absolutely adore Femi Oke. Her comments about the film were superb, and right on target.

Dec. 18 2008 10:24 PM
Ian Simms

For me, it's "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Part 1" by The Flaming Lips. The lyrics may seem a bit silly, but the song is a great metaphore that is all about hope in the face of overwhelming odds.

Dec. 18 2008 09:44 AM
Ian Simms

Although not a fan of Abba, myself, I agree that (we) Americans don't always share the same appreciation of talented artists that somtimes everyday names in Europe. As for me, I have been a fan of Kate Bush since her first album(and I might add that her duet, "Don't Give Up" with Peter Gabriel would be a worthy contender for the topic being discussed here.)

Every time I have visited Britain, I was amazed at how frequently her songs were played on the air. Yet in the U.S., she is generally unknown, except by a handful of fans.

Dec. 18 2008 09:43 AM
Crooner Sam

Jerry Herman's "We need a little Christmas" from MAME is the ideal track for now.
A topical song re Madoff and Blagojevich: "Razzle-Dazzle 'em" from CHICAGO. My favorite line from the song: "Even if your fingers all are rusting, even if you're just just disgusting.... razzle-dazzle 'em, and they'll never catch wise."

Dec. 18 2008 09:42 AM
Tracy

I don't get it. What's wrong with Abba? How could anyone NOT like Abba?

When I 'need a shot of sunshine,' I listen to "Shame, Shame, Shame" by Shirley & Company.

Dec. 18 2008 09:08 AM
Carla Bond

I listen to Sam Cooke sing "A Change is Gonna Come", over, and over, and over...

Dec. 18 2008 09:01 AM
Andrew Ingkavet

I've been listening to Happy Thoughts - a song based on the poem by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Here's a link at Amazon:

Dec. 18 2008 07:03 AM
Mara Kaplan

You both must HATE ABBA. I have never heard you so harsh during a segment. The reason the movie Mamma Mia has been widely popular in Britain is because of the country's longtime love of ABBA. Everyone listens to it. It's ageless. It's a european phenomenon that Americans have never caught onto. What's the big deal? Do you think the US's response is any better? Isn't watching a positive, upbeat film a better coping mechanism than drinking your sorrow's away?

Dec. 18 2008 06:51 AM