The Kindness of Strangers: Stories from 9/11

Friday, September 11, 2009

Thousands of people have stories about September 11th, eight years ago. For many of us these are stories that hang on the profound consequences of one life intersecting with another. Today we take a look at two of these stories, where the significance of a perfect stranger grows more pronounced with each passing year. We speak with Sarah Bunting. She’s a writer and publisher of the blog tomatonation.com. We also talk to Jim Dwyer, reporter for the New York Times and author of "102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers," which he co-wrote with New York Times editor Kevin Flynn.

Sarah Bunting and Jim Dwyer

Contributors:

Melissa Locker and Chelsea Merz

litho

I heard this on the radio this morning driving to work, past the harbor under an overcast sky, a tall ship at the wharf and pleasure boats at anchor, and the image of those <i>latino</i> men going from door to door saving lives and giving up their own in the process.

It started as tears at the corner of my eye, then a catch at the throat, and by the time I got to the yacht club they were full fledged sobs. I was going slow enough that my car's weaving back and forth posed no danger to anyone other than myself.

I turned right, away from the water and back towards the main road, as Dwyer finished his account. The sobs continued, though, until I physically turned off the radio, came to the stop sign, and waited for the traffic to clear. Two minutes later, in the parking lot, I was still weak at the knees, but I pulled it together enough to make unrelated small talk with a colleague who arrived at the same time.

You do great work, John Hockenberry. Don't stop.

Sep. 11 2009 09:56 PM
MK Ultra

And the sheep come out of the farm just long enough to leave their caca outside the fence...

Sep. 11 2009 08:26 PM
Beige

Yeah, and way to really convert people to your hateful little point of view, you [ Comment redacted. No personal attacks. -Eds]

"Brown people". Good grief. Yeah, mourning our own dead sure is racist.

Sep. 11 2009 09:26 AM
Adlib

And completely disrespectful. (to add to Dave's comment)

Sep. 11 2009 08:50 AM
Dave

Way to completely miss the point.

Sep. 11 2009 08:30 AM
MK Ultra

How very touching! Thousands of people have warm and fuzzy stories about 9/11 but I seriously doubt that those include the stories of millions of people in the Middle East who have paid the price with their lives, their bodies, their homes, their families, their way of life, their countries. Oh, but I digress...brown people don't count, they're just a notch below dangerous wild animals who don't even deserve protection - sometimes, I forget that it's all about the Americans and their precious, superior lives...

Sep. 11 2009 07:55 AM