In tough economy, the "nouveau poor" go from six-figure salaries to food stamps

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Janie Larson and Amy Lipps were solidly middle class. Janie went to the food bank this week for the first time. Amy never took any kind of aid in her life before, but as she and her husband search for full-time work, they are now receiving food stamps. The Takeaway talks with two members of America's growing "nouveau poor."

Exploitation Radio

[[Comment moderated. Off Topic. Moved to the "Mornings Need a Makeover" thread. http://www.thetakeaway.org/about/comment_guidelines.html]]

May. 28 2008 04:56 PM
Angela

I also enjoyed the segment about the "nouveau poor." Keep up the good work!

May. 28 2008 03:51 PM
jason

I couldn't disagree with you more Exploitation Radio. I appreciate hearing from all kinds of people on the program and hearing their stories. What a shocker, asking about someone's feelings on public radio. I don't think you get it. And the Howard reference is a bit tired.

May. 28 2008 02:50 PM
Kate Flynn

[[Comment moved to http://www.thetakeaway.org/archives/stories/97647/themix/28#comment42636. Off topic. http://www.thetakeaway.org/about/comment_guidelines.html]]

May. 28 2008 10:23 AM
Exploitation Radio

In the public radio version of Stern's "Show us your cans", this morning's report on the nouveau poor was cheap and exploitative as the Takeaway sunk to a new low (if that's possible).

The lowest? After relating her dire situation (lost job, raising grandchildren, going on food stamps), Janie Larson was asked (by Udoji), "And how does that make you feel?".

Unbelievable. Amateur hour. Disgraceful. Howard would approve.

May. 28 2008 09:40 AM
James Andino

I listened to your show this morning about Jaimie, the grandmother of two, and was very moved by it. I totally understand what she is feeling. I would like to send her a check for $100.00 so that she could buy the kids a little something. I know it is not much but I wanted to do something for her and the kids. Thank you.

May. 28 2008 07:38 AM