Health Care Reform: People Who Like Their Coverage

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

We've hosted roundtable discussions about the pros and cons of health care reform, and talked to people who don't have health insurance, and those who do. For today, we're talking to people who not only have health insurance, but are pleased with what they have. A new public opinion poll states that 80 percent of insured people from all walks of life are happy with their current insurance.

Our roundtable guests include:

• Ebon Soul, a 40-year-old high school history and music teacher from Baltimore, Maryland who is politically independent, but registered as a Democrat.
  • Lori Roman, a 46-year-old non-profit executive and political conservative from Annapolis, Maryland. She is the founder of Regular Folks United, an online forum featuring right-leaning bloggers.

Go back and listen to all the previous health care reform roundtables in this series.

"I pay Medicare, and if I’m paying state taxes which also contribute, if they allocate that: I’m paying for all this anyway, and the bottom line is, I think the Federal government regulating these companies is better." — Ebon Soul, a 40-year-old high school history and music teacher from Baltimore, Maryland

Lori Roman and Ebon Soul

Contributors:

Molly Webster

jay

Is that your idea of fact checking? Time to go back to journalism school - or call your program an entertainment show, more like The View on the radio.

Sep. 03 2009 02:55 AM
mlocker

We just did one on the air with Princeton Professor Uwe Reinhart. Thanks!

Sep. 02 2009 07:05 AM
jay

Did you wanna-be journalists even Google who this Lori Roman is before you gave her unfettered access to the public airwaves that we pay for? It's not just that I disagree with her, she is lying about the facts. As journalists you don't have to control opinions but at least make sure the FACTS are accurate. Are you going to do a follow up with the truth?

Sep. 02 2009 06:48 AM
joram

What I sent to WNYC:

I have several times written about The Takeaway and what a generally silly show it is. This morning they are talking about whether folks are happy with their healthcare. The main witness is a woman whose son was saved from cancer by the great service of private insurance and whose father was killed by the evil government care of Medicare. First I doubt whether, if the real facts were researched by an objective person, that the story was as she stated it. It was so clear she had an agenda but yet she was given five minutes to spew her propaganda without a single challenge. That's not journalism. It's truthiness - she feels her truth but she's full of bull. Where did she come from. Was she a random phone call into the show. I doubt it. It was a set-up. And if you guys sent a real journalist - not a used-to-be journalist like John Hockenberry - maybe we listeners would learn the truth about her story. I dare you to do
so. Try some real investigation.

Sep. 02 2009 06:42 AM

1 driver
3 fireman
1 paramedic
and
2 Police cars
3 policemen
They all enter my house with a streacher
and radio equipment and supplies. this encludes my wife, my 3 yearold daughter
and myself (don't get excited) grand ma is just a little dehyderated so she needs a little water I.V .so the redlight and sirene. off to the hospital
10 hrs in the emergancy room.
5 days in the hospital.
16 days in conveslant care.
Home for grand ma.
3 weeks daily 1 hr no weekends visits with home nurse.
all recieved money.
10 hrs E.R. and the hospital recieved
money for 12 hrs
5 days room gotpaid for 7
16 days conveslant they got paid for 30
the doctor had consultation with 2 other doctors. they shared their patients collected 3 times.
I am for public option and Accountability

Sep. 01 2009 11:42 PM
Camille Cosco

One more thing and I leave you. Mr. Soul, more likely than not, does not have commercial insurance. His governmental employer is probably self-funded and uses an insurance carrier as a third-party administrator. Very different animal, this type of "insurance"! The types of issues I've raised here are basic facts that rarely surface. In other words, folks are often talking about things they barely understand or totally misunderstand. That can't be good.
Believe it or not, I am very much in favor of a public health care option.

Camille Cosco, CLU, RHU

Sep. 01 2009 02:50 PM
Camille Cosco

(Sorry, I'm cheating - but this is important.) Relative to Ms. Roman's father, her father's doctor may not have even attempted an appeal to Medicare for additional hospital days. Medicare, like all managed care, has specific protocols related to specific diagnostic codes. An exception can be made but requires some effort on the physician's part, i.e. case must be made for necessity. Many doctors cannot be bothered taking the time to do this, or feel grudged at having to justify their decisions to a bureaucrat, even to a case manager, who is often an RN. We don't know what happened in Ms. Roman's anecdote but she made a very serious, perhaps criminal, allegation, one undoubtedly contrived to scare the wits out of all of us. it should not go uninvestigated!

Sep. 01 2009 02:17 PM
Camille Cosco

I am an insurance agent with a specialization in health insurance for very small businesses and sole proprietors. I am so weary of the misinformation dissminated regarding health insurance. Today's show is no exception. I realize that it's impossible to get at the accuracy of every point that is made but fundamentals are repeatedly ignored by the mainstream media of which I consider WNYC a part. Cases in point:
Relative to prior listeners' comments, commenters correctly imply that there are few commercial plans like Ms. Roman's which allow unfettered and unquestioned access to health care. Where such plans exist, they are prohibitively expensive for most small businesses or any business with a fiduciary responsibility to stockholders. Please note: Ms. Roman works for a not-for-profit which undoubtedly is responsible primarily to its Board of Directors.

Sep. 01 2009 02:10 PM
Ed

Boy, there was a lot of info at the end of Ms. Roman's segment. She's an executive at a non-profit whose coverage is paid through her employer (as well as a blogger for a right wing group allied against health reform). That's important context. It's great her son recieved the care he did, but no one says the system is broken for executives. Her wonderful health care plan is part of her compensation package. The system is broken for the people who have to pay out of pocket for the coverage.

Under the current proposals, Ms. Roman could keep her plan, because her employer would want to incentivize her with that Cadillac plan.

I also think it'd be good to fact check that illness's coverage in Canada and England to see if in fact the outcome would be as she said. It's hard to tell if Ms. Roman is a "man-on-the-street" perspective or an activist working the talking points.

Sep. 01 2009 09:30 AM
Will MacGhee

What about those of us with healthcare who are not happy with are care. I'm just basically satisfied, wary would be another word.

Your guest Lori Roman seems to be an industry shill; as evidenced by the previous poster's link:

Sep. 01 2009 09:27 AM
Nicole

I am sorry for the loss of Lori's father. I am very happy that her son could be saved with their excellent coverage.

I just hope that the health care system is fixed before he grows up and needs to find health insurance with a history of an aggressive bone-eating tumor.

If Lori wants to remain credible, she should abstain from making statements that her son would not have been saved in GB or Canada. This debate needs to be tied to facts.

Sep. 01 2009 09:23 AM
Claire

Oh and I see where you found her. cCould this be the same Lori Roman ?

Sep. 01 2009 08:04 AM
Claire

Lori Roman's story about her father's Medicare experience does not ring true at all, neither do her relay's of her Canadian and French friends comments regarding her son's treatment. I'm glad her son recieved excellent care and has great coverage currently.

Sep. 01 2009 08:01 AM