Univision's Jorge Ramos on President Obama's Immigration Policy

Monday, July 05, 2010

Jorge Ramos and President Obama

When President Obama spoke recently at American University School of International Service in Washington, D.C., Univision anchor Jorge Ramos was watching very closely. Ramos is a familiar face at Univision, the spanish-language network, and he's also been pressing the Obama Administration to make good on its campaign pledge to reform immigration laws. It's been an issue for Ramos since 2008, when Obama was fighting for the nomination. Ramos gleaned this pledge from him: “What I can guarantee,” Obama said, “is that we will have in the first year [of the presidency] an immigration bill that I strongly support.” Ramos called it “La Promesa de Obama,” and he's been pressing the administration to make good on it ever since.

Ramos tells us that we need to keep pressuring President Obama as well as the Republicans to get immigration reform passed. "We more than just great speeches, we need actions," says Ramos.

Jorge Ramos

Posey Gruener

oscar chavez

me gustaria platicar contigo hacerca de temas politicos que conciernen a mexico y u.s.a. poque he visto vatantes entrevistas con personas reconocidas en eua, como tu llamarias horgullo hispano pero no dan la talla para respoder en temas de politica de los 2 paises. no quiero decir que soy un experto en el tema por soy inmigrante que solo tiene carrera turnca ,pero al escuchar comentariois de personalidades quiza importantes dejan mucho de que hablar, me pudiera contigo pasar 1 dia hablando de ello, pero lo inportante si hablamos hablamos hacerca de la sociedad mexicana es que si esta dispuesta a relizar un cambio en demasiadas cosas ejemplo respetar la polcia siempre y cuando profecilonalisemos la pocia y/o instituciones para que sean de cofianza, e invertamos en educasion y capacitacion para personas que requieren de trabajo como por ejemplo un taller que capacite en herrreria,plomeria,concreto,electricidad.etc. que se yo para emplear anuestra gente capacitandola para que tenga un oficio que sustente su matencion no programas que solo iniben,o o pacan la destresa de nuestros habitantes. nota porque de puestos de tamales y de birria estan llenas las esquinaz, pero sicapacitamos nuestra gente tendremos empleo y mano de obra para presente y futuro

Dec. 01 2011 03:58 AM
kris from pharr tx

Its just sad that people think that way of hispanics , i really dont get why that hate towards us i include myself because even though i was born in the u.s im proudly a Mexican in heart and i will never forget my roots my people and my culture. I cant understand why u.s citizens critize so much our dream "persuit of happines" it really hurts to be called all those names like wetbacks,beaners and all that bull. I really hope that one day the world would live as one that day we will certanly call ourselfs a country.

Feb. 16 2011 10:46 PM
Carina

I can not help but chuckle at some of the comments! To Gloria Bravo from AZ, you talk about how this is your country. Have you taken a look at your first and last name? They both have a very distinctive ring to them, Hispanic! And might I suggest a couple of college courses in English, your punctuation and spelling is horrible, a little History would not hurt either, may I suggest you read on the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo? You will find what YOUR country has done to Mexico a bit interesting.I was born here in the United States but in no way do I forget where I came from and the sacrifices people have had to do so that I am here, in the land of opportunity. We all have the same god given rights life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So what gives anyone the right to put limits, or borders up in order to stop other people in pursuing these rights? Some people are just plain SELFISH!

Dec. 07 2010 12:04 PM

Illegal immigrants do pay income taxes.

Nov. 02 2010 05:02 AM
Smithos from California

Illegals don't pay income taxes. They do however receive free medical care, food stamps and free educations. This is paid for by those who are here legally, who must pay more income taxes than they would otherwise have to pay so that millions of people get free services from the government while never, ever having paid for those services. Americans don't hate immigrants, they just hate having to pay for immigrant livelihoods. The "under the table" thing just doesn't work anymore.

Nov. 01 2010 10:13 PM
Maria Herrera from El Paso

I think Jorge Ramos demonstrates a great example for all Latinos to follow. While the illegal immigrant was working the fields, washing dishes, scrubbing floors, etc., it was okay for them to remain here. But now that they are seeking more opportunities to better education, better jobs, and even starting their own business, they, they are considered a nuisance. I am sure that is what this commotion against illegal immigrants is all about. The legal Latinos cannot be held back, so lets take it out on the poor illegal immigrants, because you know they will do all they can to become legal while in the U.S. and proceed to better things.
Everybody (except the native American) should remember that our ancestors came as immigrants from other countries. The true natives to this country are the American Indian and the buffalo.
God Bless the illegal immigrants and all legal Latinos. God bless my country, the United States of America.

Aug. 22 2010 08:13 AM
fulanito

[Comment removed. Civil language, please. -Eds]

Aug. 08 2010 04:31 PM
Lola from Laurel, MD

I don't understand why there are so many hateful feelings towards immigrants. Why is it that the Hispanic population is always attacked when there are million of illegal immigrants from other places such as Asia, Europe, India, etc. There is nothing wrong with giving citizenship to kids who are doing things right - going to school, working, paying taxes. Do you all not realize that these kids are here regardless and the best option is to offer them a chance to become educated so that they won't need to be on the streets? All the DREAM act is asking for is a chance to education. Is that too much to ask? And before you make any comments about immigrants comming to the US and invading, think back to history and who this nation belonged to, the Native Americans. They were violently stripped from their lands by immigrants who now call themselves "Americans."

Jul. 21 2010 08:15 AM
REBECCA SMITH from Florida

Sir: You seem like a refined, intelligent Mexican...not the run of the mill for sure, but I need to take issue with your thoughts on language. I believe you said, the US will eventually be speaking all Spanish, as it will over rule English,.. or in so many words. There are a lot of Spanish speaking countries, but is this Mexico's goal to take over America? This is OUR country...not Mexico's! Also,...why is Mexico's Border laws so fiercely enforced....but you don't respect our laws on this side of the Border...nor does Obama? Something is not right here, ...but somewhere the Truth will come to the surface....and the hidden evil will be wiped away!

Thank you for your attention....you are very impressive.....but I am left wanting more.

Jul. 16 2010 03:15 PM
patrolagent from Texas

Jorge Ramos, your strong talk and energy would be best used directed at the President of Mexico. Get him to change that country for the best for its own citizens. So theyill stop coming here. And why on earth would you want to make the great United States resemble what Mexico lookslike, cause thats what you want.

Jul. 06 2010 09:11 AM
Brian from Los Angeles

Republicans have nothing to gain by supporting "pathway to citizenship" = AMNESTY. If any Republican votes for it he/she will be responsible for 50 million new Democratic voters. This is a cynical effort for Obama to dilute the voting power of AMERICANS. McCain tried this "bonehead" tactic and lost to Obama 8 to 1 to Mexican votes even though he did more for Amnesty than Obama and in the process turned off alot of White voters and lost the White vote. Unskilled and uneducated poor people vote for more goodies not family values...they will never be conservatives.

Jul. 06 2010 04:40 AM
Larry Brown from Riverside, ca

Jorge Ramos better get used to it. Americans are not suicidal and don't have any appetite to give amnesty and U.S. citizenship to 10-20 million illegal aliens (mostly from Mexico). Amnesty would pour gasoline on a blazing fire and destroy this nation. "Enforcement through attrition" as being pursued by the State of Arizona is the answer to stopping the illegal alien invasion of the U.S. and restoring our sovereignty and rule of law.

Jul. 06 2010 02:02 AM
maky

all these people are ignorant and stupid. what they need to do is go back to school and learn more about this county. I'm proud of being a citizen of us , but sick of this people who hate immigrants. where your parents came from? weren't they immigrants also?

Jul. 05 2010 04:47 PM
gloria bravo from proud from az

senor Ramos you know as newsperson i through you knew our history here in the USA we the citizens of the usa. they fought wars, forstance , the civil war, and that war was fought, brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend. but we did united as a nation. than came world war 1 and 2 again
we became a stronger nation. do think usa would surrender and give up this nation to the illegals? NO senor Ramos, there is to much blood and pride to give it up. Your people give up to easy to let go on there nation include yourself. Fight for your country have pride for your country love your country defend your country. Tell your president from Mexico to stop begging USA and Canada to take your people. What other country is asking USA to take there people? My country and myself will never leave my country for other country. I love the USA for the good and the bad, my husband has been out of work for nearly year, but how hard it gets iwe will NEVER leave the USA. I have pride for my country and defend it, and love it. learn a lesson from my country.Senor Ramos and teach your people about our history and see no matter how bad the USA is we will never live. have you ever heard the song "PROUD TO BE AN AMERICA" listen to it very good from the heart. that what is a STRONG AMERICAN is. and PLEASE dont call me a racist. i am not. but a AMERICAN thank you for reading this and i hope you did

Jul. 05 2010 02:07 PM
Jimi from Mexifornia

I always laugh when this blue eyed "Mexican" tells us we are racist to not allow meso american peasants to enter freely and steal jobs.
Typical 5th columnist blather from another foreign invader. Hey, Jorge, go fix your country and leave ours alone.
Oh, that would be too hard, better to strip mine America.

Jul. 05 2010 12:54 PM
Bonnie from Los Angeles

Apartheid? Now I've heard it all!

Has Jorge Ramos been educated at the school of Adolf Hitler's master propagandist Joseph Goebbels?

Nice bit of wonderful propaganda Ramos!

Too bad Americans are not buying it!

Jul. 05 2010 12:47 PM