Nashville Residents Rally to Rebuild Opryland Theme Park

Friday, May 21, 2010

The flooding in Nashville surrounds Schermerhorn Symphony Center. The flooding in Nashville surrounds Schermerhorn Symphony Center. (Jon Erickson/flickr)

Earlier this month Tennessee was hit with severe rainfall that left more than a foot of water on the streets of Nashville. The city’s oldest buildings, including the State Capitol, the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Schermerhorn Symphony were affected by the storms. And along with them, the Opryland Mills Mall.

The mall has been empty since and one group of citizens is rallying to tear down the mall and replace it with an amusement park based on the Opryland Theme Park, which was closed in 1997 after being in business for 25 years. We talk with Susan Alsup, who has rallied supporters for this cause by creating a Facebook group that now has more than 32,000 members.

Susan Alsup

Alex Goldmark and Arwa Gunja

nick jonas from Phoenix

My mom was a security guard here..spent day after day in the park...saw shania practice got many autographs and was on crook and chase show..great environment in th 90's.. really miss it and many other things in Nashville!

Jun. 27 2014 12:50 PM
Aerick McCullough from Jefferson,Ohio,USA

How about you rebuild CHAOS and make it the 2nd ride of its kind in the world.

Mar. 11 2012 07:25 PM
Aerick McCullough from Jefferson,Ohio,USA

I really miss CHAOS. CHAOS has been dismantled by 1997 and Revolution is still the # 1 of its kind in the world at Bobbejaanland theme park in Lichtaart, Belgium.

Mar. 11 2012 08:48 AM
Ray from TN

I agree too
They need to bring back Opryland
It wouldn't be that much of task to do it.
They should know by now, how much the people of TN and others around the country would love to see her come back

She is a major part of Tn's history and should be re lived and remain a mainstay in Tn culture forever. I hear America Singing We Need our wonderful wonderful OPRYLAND BACK

Dec. 31 2011 12:51 AM
Ashley Armistead from Chapel Hill, Tn.

It was stupid to take it down. Now they regret it. DUH! The mall was nice, I guess. Not fun like a park and who wants to travel far away to another; not me. Bring back Opryland! The first week would make so much money it would be unbelievable.

Oct. 04 2011 10:02 AM
Nicholas from Hendersonville

I think we should all get together and pitch and idea to a company that could fund the construction of a new Opryland theme park.

Aug. 30 2011 02:25 AM
Mike from Columbia TN

Would love to see the park come back!!!!! I miss it

Jul. 16 2011 03:24 PM
rebecca fryer from Cookeville Tn

Would just like to say PLEASE BRING OPRYLAND back!!!!!!Had lots of great memories there and would really like to take my son to a place i enjoyed so well!Really liked Halloween there it really set the mood Great ppl and so much fun!

Feb. 21 2011 03:05 PM
KEVIN EDWARDS from MANCHESTER UK

We had a great time.One of the highlights of our trip.Bring it back and we will be there.A great place

Oct. 15 2010 05:00 AM
shsaron flower from columbia Tn 38401

I have longed to spend one more day at Opryland Theme Park. I had a season pass, took my children there every week-end. We never tired of it. If only we could bring it back. The best memories of my life were made there with my family.

Jul. 23 2010 04:33 PM
Jackie

I would love to see the park come back. It's not been the same since it closed.
I highly recommend that the City bring it back............We tour there every year and would really enjoy revisiting the theme park! Go for it!

Jul. 21 2010 09:13 AM
Melissa Wolford from Birmingham, Al

I would LOVE for Opryland to reopen. I remember going there atleast once or twice a summer when I was younger. I loved all the rides and the shows!!

Jul. 19 2010 09:43 PM
Jeff from Virginia

We would drive to Nashville and to Opryland Park to Louise Mandrell for so many years. She performed there often, so did her sister Barbara. Barbara Mandrell Country was another landmark in Nashville...all gone now. We've returned the past 2 years to see louise Perform a the Oprland hotel. Nice, but the park was so much better. Bring back the park and Louise Mandrell what a great idea!!!

Jun. 27 2010 09:14 PM
Brian Smigiel from NASHVILLE,TN

Nashville needs a themepark! We all know that! Tourism would increase and us locals wont have to drive for hours just to have some fun! When my family visits from out of state there is nothing for the kids to do? I live downtown but I can't take my nieces out drinkin....they're too young yet! : )

May. 31 2010 01:34 AM