Clinton's Ohio supporters are unmoved by Obama

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Maggie Wellington and John Vivo are two Ohio Democrats who volunteered to work for Hillary Clinton and are not yet sold on Barack Obama as the leader of the ticket. Both live just outside Youngstown, Ohio, in a mixed blue-collar—white-collar community.

Contributors:

Bruce Reznick

mc

You can look at these postings and see the ugliest division of all. The first thing that happens when a charge of racismor sexism is leveled is that it is either denied or made out to be not important. What I notice is that when there was an event that had racist overtones (Curious George T-shirts as one example) the media pundits went nuts over it as they should. When something similar happened on the sexism end, they just shrugged. Some people think it didn't happen. Some think she deserved it. Some think we shouldn't care. I think the true racism/sexism/homophobia etc. can be tested when one looks at someone who is unpleasant. Are the negative feelings amplified by the person's race, gender etc.? Are you sure?

Jun. 05 2008 08:40 AM
belle

Ack! I am SOOOO very tired of hearing about Obama's race and how African Americans are so happy about his being the first black Democratic party candidate. Yes it's historic, but that's not why people voted for him and that's not how he ran as a candidate. I am an African American who originally supported Kucinich, and only came to support Obama lately (and after much wavering between him and HRC). In fact I pretty much wavered until about two months ago. I don't care about the fact he's black, and I think the media does a disservice to black Americans (and misinforms the rest of America) by analyzing black voters' choices PURELY by a racial lens. It's simplistic, condescending and anachronistic. This is not the 60s anymore, and many of us actually think outside of the narrow strictures of racial politics that the media continues to construct.

Jun. 05 2008 08:31 AM
Evelyn C.

Throughout the primary, my gal pals and I (classic Baby Boomer age group, professional and para-professional, working, middle-class Caucasian women) have been irritated and mystified by the assumption that we're all HRC supporters. NOT.

From the beginning, I was thrilled to know that either a woman or an African-American male was going to be the Dem. nominee. I definitely considered her first, but early on I liked more and more of what I was hearing from Obama and liked less and less the attitudes/comments I was hearing from her.

I never acted on it, but I had the strongest urge to have a t-shirt made that said "MATURE MAMAS FOR OBAMA". :^>

Jun. 05 2008 01:34 AM
Raymond Gray

"Clearly, my male compatriots did not want her in the race let alone winning it and did everything, threw everything at her for a guy who's credentials are significantly lacking."

Sorry, but it's the millions of folks like myself who worked for, voted for and contributed money to help Mr. Obama win the primary. It's been documented that far more small donors have contributed to Mr. Obama vs. the big money fat-cats who gave to Ms. Clinton. Some of us even changed from Republican to Democrat to help in the primary vote; I plan to donate time and money for the general election.

And the media game was played both ways. I thought the ABC debate, where the moderators, including George S. from the original Clinton election crowd, nailed Mr. Obama on every problem he'd faced, including the lunatic pastor, while Clinton cheered them on.

Recent analysis have shown that Clinton's campaign failed when they ignored the Iowa caucus and then continued to claim it would be over by Feb. they misread the mood and will of the people.

My view, FWIW, is that Ms. Clinton might be a help in winning the election but she and Mr. Bill would be a huge PITA after Obama wins.

R C Gray

Jun. 04 2008 12:11 PM
kalasea2001

Obama has been an elected official for many years, FAR longer than Clinton has been in office.

Your arguments about people wanting her to withdraw are specious at best. No primary has ever lasted this long, meaning the Republican electee had an extraordinarily long amount of time to campaign while the Democratics were still in-fighting. That is why she was called on to step down...that and the fact that by every measure she was losing the race.

Finally, as someone who started out a big Clinton supporter but moved to Obama, I can tell you it wasn't due to her gender but do to the way she ran her campaign.

Be careful with claims of sexism - inapropriately shouted, they can lead to a cry wolf outcome.

Jun. 04 2008 11:16 AM
BearKat

These are the same arguments that "Clintonites" continue to push. Where are these alleged credentials that she posseses? She is a SECOND term senator, nothing else. Experience is not sleeping with the president! Seriously, what has she done, EVER?

Jun. 04 2008 10:29 AM
Attorney in Florida

Very well said.

Jun. 04 2008 10:27 AM
G. Kranz

The DNC and apparently a lot of media folk just don't get it. Hillary was throttled by the press, asked to leave the race by many of her fellow Democrats (something no other candidate has ever experienced - even when much further behind.) She lived through much more than any other candidate. Clearly, my male compatriots did not want her in the race let alone winning it and did everything, threw everything at her for a guy who's credentials are significantly lacking.
Ask anyone in NY and they'll tell you she's been a great Senator for them - reaching across the aisle to get things done. Obama claims to have done the same but there is little evidence for much of his claims - he's only been in office (his opponent was indicted so did not compete) 3 1/2 years - two of them campaigning for president.
Let's get real here -the boys just didn't want the girl on their team. And the angst that I've seen with young people - who may not even turn out to vote once they've won their battle - is frightening. Misogyny is alive and well in America.
The bottom line is that the Dems have to win back the White House, or the Supreme Court will be so far right wing for so long that we will never see what we came to believe was the American Way again.
We don't need "change" - Lord knows we've had enough change - what we need is restoration of the constitution - habeas corpus, privacy, economic stability, good education...

Jun. 04 2008 08:59 AM