In Honor of Mother's Day, Our Favorite Moms on Film

Friday, May 07, 2010

Today, in honor of Mother’s Day, we’re looking back at our favorite on-screen moms, from the fierce to the nurturing to the lullaby-singing. We love them, we hate them, and we’ve enjoyed them on screen for as long as we’ve enjoyed movies.

Rafer Guzman, Takeaway contributor and Newsday film critic, shares his choices of top movie moms, which range from the sublime to the satanic. And Emily Rems, managing editor of Bust Magazine, brings her own surprise list of moms on film, one of whom has a major issue with how we hang up our clothes.

Below, the trailer for the movie adaptation of "Rosemary's Baby."

Emily Rems

Kristen Meinzer

Contributors:

Rafer Guzman

Irina from NYC

All the moms in Steal Magnolias.

May. 10 2010 09:30 AM

Has "mother" become the eighth word prohibited on the radio and television? (And "child," the ninth?) All I've been hearing is mom moms, kid kids--even on this, one of my fave programs. Of course I addressed my mother as mom, but always referred to her as my mother.

May. 07 2010 06:00 PM
Evan from Montclair

I loved Debbie Reynolds in the 1996 movie "Mother," with Albert Brooks. There's a great scene where she attempts to feed Brooks some rubbery, time-worn vegetables. It always makes me think of my own grandmother, who seems to have nothing other than diet cheese and a box of white zinfandel in her refrigerator. I'm laughing right now.

May. 07 2010 10:02 AM
Charles Townsend from New York City

Mildred Pierce

May. 07 2010 10:02 AM
Dani from Savannah, GA

My favorite movie mom is Sophia from Golden Girls, played by Estelle Getty.

May. 07 2010 10:01 AM
George from New York City

I have three favorites which will indicate the length of time I've been around.
Irene Dunne in 'I Remember Mama',
Rosalind Russell in 'Auntie Mame', not actually the mother of young Patrick Dennis certainly filled that role. Last but the ultimate of all mothers, Margaret Wycherly (James Cagney's loving mom) in 'White Heat'.
I know most listeners will be unfamiliar with these three ladies but I'd recommend that they discover them.on DVD, whatever.

May. 07 2010 09:49 AM
Christian from Salt Lake City

My favorite movie mom is Terri Garr in just about every movie she has ever played a mom in, which is almost every movie shes ever been in. She always reminded me of my own mother which helped me loose myself in the particular movie.

May. 07 2010 09:34 AM
Andrea from Detroit

Flawed but amazing film mom - Cher in Mask

May. 07 2010 09:16 AM
Jake from Denver, CO

My vote for best movie mom goes to Anne Ramsey as Mrs. Lift in Throw Mama from the Train. No matter how crazy or annoying (or abusive) your mom is, she's still your mama, and you gotta love her.

May. 07 2010 09:00 AM
Ldubs from Detroit, mI

My favorite movie mom is Susan Sarandon in the Lovely Bones.

May. 07 2010 08:48 AM
michele in nyc. from nyc

my favorite movie mother is shirley mclaine in terms of endearment. debra wingers character is dying in the hospital , shirly maclain goes to the nurses station and starts screaming wildly that her daughter has pain and needs meds. as a nurse for over 20 years i have never forgotten that love driven desperatation.

May. 07 2010 08:47 AM
Andrea from NY

My favorite film mom is Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

May. 07 2010 08:47 AM