What is the 'New American Tea Party?' And Where is it Headed?

Monday, April 26, 2010

A participant at a Tea Party Express rally displays a sign critical of the Obama administration on April 13, 2010 in Albany, New York. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

A few weeks ago, a poll from our partner, The New York Times, gave us a closer look at who, exactly, makes up the Tea Party. The biggest demographic is older, white, educated, Republican men.  But there are still major aspects of the movement that are less clear. Is anyone actually leading it? Where is it headed?

To help answer those questions we're joined by John O’Hara, author of the new book "A New American Tea Party: The Counterrevolution Against Bailouts, Handouts, Reckless Spending, and More Taxes."

John O'Hara

Jen Poyant

samuel Fuchs from New York City

i disagree with most of you when it comes down to hate. if the republicans want America back that doesn't mean they hate the minorities. and even if they do, republicans stand for things other than hate. this country is far gone in the thought that everything has to be politically correct that today no matter what a politician says, he/she is either a racist or a sexist in the eyes of the people. This is not what republicans want. Republicans want profiling, if you suspect someone of something or if you accuse them, it shouldn't become a nation wide scandal, rather a security effort to make sure everything is alright, and/or people are so afraid to say anything that whatever harmless words they do say, they are accused of profiling, being racist, etc... i myself have experienced being profiled, i have experienced people telling me i'm racist even though i'm not, i'm just a republican.

Apr. 30 2010 06:29 AM
Mark Montgomery from NYC, NY 10036 USA

The tea-baggers are just a sad group of old, white, rich, malcontent republicans who hate blacks, asians, hispanics, the middle class and the poor and can't stand the fact that we have a black president. When they howl "take back America!!!" they mean to take it back from the minorities. Luckily the middle class and the poor far outnumber the tea-baggers so they will have little effect in November. Mark Montgomery

Apr. 28 2010 08:45 AM
Rob from San Diego

I don't justify it... I just want to win, and have you wimps lose. I don't care at ALL what you think. Political correctness has got us to this point, and I am no longer worrying about it. You don't like that...tough.

Apr. 27 2010 02:12 PM
Charles

I should correct myself. I misquoted Howard Dean. He didn't say, "I hate the Republican Party." No; Dean personalized it more than that. Dean said, "I hate the Republicans and everything they stand for."

YEEEEAAAHH!

This buisness of scolding the Tea Party for "hate" speech is really funny since John Hockenberry asked Todd Zwillich who was doing interviews at a peaceable rally to locate "the angriest person you can find" for an interview.

And this is our National Public Radio network? Could John Hockenberry not get a gig on Air America?

Apr. 26 2010 11:31 AM
Charles

Howard Dean, former Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, in 2005:

"I hate the Republican Party and everything they stand for."

Apr. 26 2010 11:24 AM
CC from Detroit

John O'Hara used "main street" and "cocktail parties" in the same breath. That's relatable. Sounds like a party that's not my cup of tea.

Apr. 26 2010 10:25 AM
J.Fletcher from Detroit

After listening to many of the people you interview who like/join the tea party, I would love for you to pose the question to them, "How do you justify the absolute hate that they espouse with making this a better country?" I usually vote republican, but not always. I just can't see the tea party in charge. They never put forth any solutions. They just rant and hate everything and everyone who isn't them. They are not my republicans.

Apr. 26 2010 10:05 AM