What Do You Love About Detroit?

Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:51 AM

Later next week, we'll be co-broadcasting the show from Detroit. And before then, we're asking, What do you love about Detroit? The headlines usually focus on what's going wrong in Detroit, but we want to hear what you like about the city. We're especially interested in hearing from Detroit listeners, but anyone can weigh in.

More in:

JRB in LP from metro detroit L.P.

I like the fact knowing that my mother & father grew up there and some of the places they used to run as kids and teens are still there and I can touch them and somewhat feel a connection to their youth. St. Anne's Church & School where my mom went, The Ambassador Bridge, The Fox, Woodward Street, the Penobscot Building, and them just hanging out downtown and having fun without worries of being mugged. My father walked across the bridge to Canada each day to attend Assumption, the all boys school in Windsor. I don't feel the river is part of Detroit but Detroit is part of the river. Belle Isle is a jewel that is being abused and many can't or will never see it used to it's full potential like it used to be many years ago. It's like New York's central park, only 3/4's of it looks like a dump, with whores taking care of business in cars and out in the open. And don't dare spend time there after dark. The Old Central Train station is designating before our eyes. That's where my father left for the army during WWII, I remember going there as a kid. That would NEVER happen anywhere else but Detroit, it's sinful to allow these great buildings to rot away so disrespectfully. I walk around still with my camera to try and capture the grandness, it's risky and I don't go everyplace I'd like to though. It's depressing, and I pray Mayor Bing can start the turnaround quickly, he seems sincere and a man of great integrity, someone we haven't seen since Mayor Archer, it's to bad the people or council didn't let him finish what he tried to do, if so we would be much further along now. But I keep positive and look forward to a day myself or my kids can experience it as my parents had so long ago. It's a wonderful city with a lot of wonderful people it just needs some lovin, and a pile of money wouldn't hurt either.

May. 13 2010 02:35 PM
Amy DeKok from Now in Minnesota

I grew up in Oakland County.. I love the Detroit Zoo, Greenfield Village, Cobo Hall, the Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Tigers, the Lions(they try!), the RED WINGS, the Pistons, the cultural mix.. the mix of races, Paczki's, Greektown, anyone that says Detroit has nothing to offer....has either never been there.. or has not checked it out!! Oh.. and Ernie Harwell!!!

May. 05 2010 08:51 PM
Teri Williams from Clawson/Ferndale, MI

I love Detroit's architecture and Eastern Market! Ever since I was a little girl I've been hitting the market on Saturday's. Best place to people watch and get a friendly hello from the local vendors! My husband and I love to take photo's of the buildings - so many different styles and setting. There's always something amazing, no matter what part of the city you visit!

May. 02 2010 01:09 AM
George

Detroit has so many unique events & things going on. My favorite thing about Detroit is biking around the city. There are regularly organized bike rides all over the city. Last night I did the Detroit Critical Mass ride around the city with well over 100 people! There are things going on here... they are just have to do some digging.

May. 01 2010 08:42 AM
Mr. Love

I love a city with a River! Detroit River!

Apr. 30 2010 09:00 PM
Rohnneak Clemons from Proud Detroiter

I love detroit and the people that live here i love to volunteer my time i was in The Amercia Thanksgiving Parade for two year which it is better than Macy Thankgivings Parade i have volunteer for every festival that come every year Winter Blast River Days Comercia Taste Fest Target Firework Detroit Jazz Festival and any other event that come to my city Super Bowl 40 Mens Final four and Mens College Hockey Frozen Four we are a great sports city we have some of the best Museum Detroit Science Center DIA Charles H Wright Museum of Afican American History Henry Ford Muesum. I love Downtown Detroit great skyline i love to sit by Detroit River what other city you can go to and look across the river at another country when people come down here they have a differnt outlook of the city we have problem just like any other city the media just put us on blast what bother me these so call people say they from detroit but dog the city out Chris Hansom don't ever say you from Detroit you did the city wrong.

Apr. 30 2010 02:42 PM

Downtown with its amazing array of historic buildings; the Detroit Institute of Arts; the College for Creative Studies; the Science Center... In general the whole cultural district and local artists that are bringing back my beloved DETROIT!

Apr. 30 2010 02:26 PM
Pam Shewchuck from Royal Oak, MI

So much to love about Detroit! Ford Motor Company's turn around. Eastern Market. The River Front. Rev. Faith Fowler of Cass Community Social Services - employees individuals with disabilities to make door mats out of used tires. She was just recognized as being one of many "Green Leaders" in the city of Detroit. Rev. Fowler and her programs inspire hope and prove that we all can make a difference. Just one of the many heros in the this great city.

Apr. 30 2010 07:30 AM
Dorothea Williams-Arnold

Detroit has been my home all my life, and even though it is not always easy to stomach all the bad press and disregard outsiders have for my city, I am holding strong and proud to be a resident of this city.

6 years ago, I bought a home in a very close knit, well kept, proud neighborhood community called, the Aviation Subdivision. Not only do we have a block club, which I am a proud participant, but we also have a larger neighborhood association that includes block clubs from the surrounding areas.

Even though we have experienced our fare share of foreclosures due to the housing crisis, the vast majority of abandoned homes have been purchased, which says a lot about the stability desireability of our neighborhood.

One of our greatest accomplishments has been reducing the instances of home invasions. By banning together, communicating with one another through monthly newsletters and phone calls, we have been able to increase the safety on our streets, with the support of local law officials.

I want to be a part of the solution this city needs in order to make a full recovery. I have hope. This is why I continue to live and thrive in this city. Sure, It isn't always easy, but when I walk down my street and can have a conversation with any one of my neighbors, It makes me feel good to be a part of this community. And by the way, most of us are well educated, hard working, and retired individuals with the means to move somewhere else if we wanted to.

Apr. 29 2010 11:25 PM
Kathy Krauskopf

Let's start with the Riverwalk, 6 miles of beautifully landscaped grounds along the river. The Renaissance Center. The Red WIngs. Tiger Stadium, Ford Field, The newly renovated Campus Martius. The Auto Show. The Institute of Arts. The marvelous Detroit Film Theater. The African American Museum. Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the Max Fisher Center. The urban farmers. Belle Isle. Pewabic Tiles. Farmer's Market. Boston Edison, Indian Village. Project Hope. All of the Detroiters who are helping to lift the city, through prayer and otherwise. University of Detroit Jesuit High School. University of Detroit Mercy. Wayne State University. The Center for Creative Arts. The Fashion District. The Jazz Festival. The fireworks; the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Apr. 29 2010 08:53 PM
Brian Walker

I love the Chene Park Summer Jazz Concerts on Wednesday nights!

Apr. 29 2010 06:20 PM
Robert Franklin from United States

Great Things about Detroit
River Days, Freedom Festival and Fireworks, American's Thanksgiving Parade. Detroit Tigers, Detroit Redwings, Detroit Lions (if we can get them to win a game or two). DSO, Fisher Theater, Music Hall, Gem Theater, Great Restaurants, Casinos, Greek Town, Etc. Also Mayor Dave Bing and his new staff are working to improve the city

However we do need to improve the middle of the town so more people in the suburbs would be willing to drive downtown. We also need to get the politians to stop the infighting and realize that with a shrinking work force and population we need to downsize the work force.

Apr. 29 2010 05:58 PM
Carla from Detroit

I love Detroit. Probably because it has been home for most of my life, except when I left to attend U of M in Ann Arbor (after graduating from a DPS high school), work in Chicago, go to grad school in Baltimore and then return here to raise my family. But mainly because I was raised to love Detroit, my father from as early as I can remember told us, "I love Detroit." He instilled in us that this was a great place to live and celebrated all it had to offer driving us all around the city emphasizing the good things esp. downtown. To this day, esp. when he travels, he proudly wears shirts that have "Detroit" displayed on them in some form or fashion.

My memories of growing up in here are great from going Belle Isle to DDDays with my mom to the annual fireworks at Hart Plaza with my family as a child and then with my friends as a teen to hanging out in Greektown and in clubs on the waterfront to working at the Ren Cen to working on the grand opening of the Museum of African American History to enjoying ethnic festivals downtown like African World to concerts at Chene Park, Opera House, DSO, Music Hall, FOX to starting my own family living in the Woodbridge Historic District to taking my kids to the Cultural Center to my daughter learning dance at the Boll YMCA to eating at the Tastefest. Are you kidding me the list really is endless!

How can anyone ignore the good that has come about like the stadiums, the riverfront walk, Dequindre cut, updated Detroit Science Center & Main Library & upcoming makeover at Children's Museum, the new schools popping up one near the waterfront, & the new Center for Creative Studies building that also houses a middle school or the places no one (esp. who is "afraid to come to the city") knows about like the International Institute, Spectacles, Avalon Bakery, TV Lounge, Traffic Jam or the new restaurant on the Avenue of Fashion, there's so much more I can't think of it all.

But what I love most about Detroit is its neighborhoods - from Indian Village to Boston Edison to Sherwood Forest to Palmer Woods to Rosedale Park to West Village to East English Village to name a few. Those are the best of the best, but I've always felt that the availability of decent sized homes with yards in Detroit for people of every economic level is awesome and plentiful compared to elsewhere. Anyone know about a quaint beautiful, treelined brick street name Pallister? The beauty and architecture of the old homes in Detroit is unmatchable today. I was fortunate enough to grow up in one of the nice neighborhoods in Detroit-the University District-& it has hurt to see what the mortgage crisis has done to all of our neighborhoods, but I'm still hopeful. I know that everyone will not abandon Detroit because recently I see fewer boarded homes and more people moving into those homes in my childhood neighborhood.

Finally, in my 40 years of living, I have never been afraid to be in Detroit and I still live in the city.

Apr. 29 2010 03:15 PM
Dr. Linda Johnson from Detroit, MI

I live in a beautiful Detroit neighborhood and was interviewed by Chris Hansen for a Dateline program that aired in December of 2008 about the national mortgage foreclosure crisis. His film crew took plenty of pictures of our neighborhood then, and I hear from my neighbor Luther Keith that Dateline did a lot of filming of our lovely tree-lined streets for Mr. Hansen's most recent program on Detroit.
It distresses me that Chris Hansen and his Dateline producer not only knew about the positive parts of Detroit and had plenty of footage that could have been aired, but chose to completely ignore the good things. Shame on them! Those of us who have chosen to stay and fight for Detroit aren't all hunting raccoons for dinner. We're hard-working people with a positive vision who are making progress despite the image created by so-called journalists who apparently have no concept of balanced reporting.
Dr. Linda Johnson
Detroit

Apr. 29 2010 02:50 PM
Lynda from Detroit

Detroit has a really walkable downtown. I live downtown within walking distance to the Renaissance Center, the Riverwalk, Comerica Park, Ford Field, Cobo Hall - it's all right there. Something is going on every weekend during the summer. The museums, art gallerys, restaurants, architecture - they measure up with any city I've been to. Eastern Market is a gem.

What I sense most these days is hope and vision for the future. Detroit is alive with possibilities, and there's a groundswell of enthusiasm to make things work for the benefit of all the people. The new rapid transit system is in the works, the agricultural greening of Detroit has begun, and governmental corruption is in the past. I'm an immigrant from Canada, been here five years now, and I'm proud to tell everyone I live in Detroit.

Apr. 29 2010 02:00 PM
Mariana Nakashima from Detroit-Palmer Woods

I believe Detroit is a great city. Like any city in the world it has issues. I have had the luck to live in Palmer Woods for the last year and I have the best neighbors I could ask for.
We have the time to talk to each other and get together often as a community. Once a month from the months of December to June we have our concert series, were we enjoyed our diverse architecture, great music and of course our neighbors and friends.
I can not ask for a better place to be.
Mariana

Apr. 29 2010 01:44 PM
Sabrina Owens from Ypsilanti Township, MI

Though I currently live in the metro Detroit area, I am still Detroit thru and thru! I love Detroit and always will. The Dateline report was very disappointing, especially since Chris Hanson was so quick to offer that he is a native Detroiter. Given this, one would think that he would have produced a more balanced report. Shame on him....Detroit is so much more than than a city of hopelessness. As many have stated here, we have fabulous architecture all around the city, most especially in the downtown area; a jewel of a cultural center; Henry Ford Estates/ museum; Greenfield Vilalge; the Thanksgiving Parade; the Fireworks; cultural festivals on the waterfront; The Fox; Opera House; Comerica Park, Campus Martius; River Walk; great restaurants; the casinos and sports stadiums. I could go on and on. And let's not forget the people of Detroit. They are some of the most generous, resilient, nice people anywhere. I don't think we would have walked over a "good samaritan" for over an hour and not have called 911 to help him and possibly save his life. Our spirit is still alive and well. We will survive and return to be the glorious city of the past. I dare Dateline to print all of these comments. I'm sure they wouldn't as it would not generate the interest that their negative report did. I am Detroit and am proud of it!

Apr. 29 2010 01:03 PM
Barbara Barefield from Detroit

I love our historic and diverse neighborhoods and our world-class centers of culture — from the great institutions like the Detroit Institute of Arts and Detroit Symphony Orchestra, to the smaller treasures like Pewabic Pottery, the Carr Cultural Arts Center, Detroit Artists Market, Detroit Repertory Theatre and Palmer Woods Music in Homes. We have a wealth of talented artists, musicians and people who are know that Detroit is full of hope, opportunity and creativity. It is a special place to live, especially our historic neighborhood Palmer Woods, where I have the good fortune to live. Here our neighbors have teamed to enrich our multi-cultural, multi-racial, intergenerational, diverse community with volunteerism, music and an activist approach to preventing foreclosures and deterioration of the neighborhood (palmerwoods.org). To support the arts and strengthen our neighborhood, we present jazz, classical and world music in historic homes each month, which attracts hundreds of guests from suburbs, Canada, and other states, who celebrate Detroit with us every month. Detroit is a hotbed of music, art, innovation and creativity that is exploding and will erase the negativity that is all too often the focus of media attention, especially from those who do not take the time to scratch below the surface.

Apr. 29 2010 12:40 PM
Mary Lehnert from Canton, MI

I am a native Detroiter. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood until I was 12. The feeling of belonging is something I still have every time I travel to the city. I was Park Ops Manager for the Detroit Tigers and closed Tiger Stadium. For 6 years as the city declined I saw first hand how everyone has a tie to this city and still supports it. I saw families fly in from around the US to celebrate grandmas 90th birthday in a city she loved, supporting a team she loved (Tigers). The city of Detroit reminds Michiganders that we all belong together to something bigger and that outsiders cannot possibly understand. The don't understand when the Wings win the cup and 1 million people pack downtown weeks before Konstantinov is paralyzed and we mourn like he is a member of our family. They don't understand that grandma and grandpa went to St. Mary's in Greektown and we can still worship there too. They don't understand that the city is just not "the city" it represents all of us. We have more than most big cities without the cost or pretentiousness and yes with a little sarcasm mixed in. The people are real and so is the city and if you can't cut it, we don't care.

Apr. 29 2010 12:27 PM
Lynette Richardson from Detroit

I love Detroit and all that it has to offer to its visitors and its community. Detroit has a fabulous art culture, music and ethnic culture. The folks here are very nice and not ashame of the issues we have. Like other urban cities they ignore it and ask as though they don't exist. I would ask the question is there an urban city in the US that doesn't have similar challenges as Detroit?

Apr. 29 2010 10:33 AM
Ashley from Commerce, MI

The absolute best part about Detroit is the summer Hoedown extravaganza! From new, fresh country to old Nashville classics, the Detroit Hoedown offers the city three days of country's best variety. This year stars like Dierks Bentley, Uncle Kracker, Julianna Hough, and Zac Brown Band are coming to celebrate the simple things in life at Detroit's Hart's Plaza! I can't wait to put on my cowboy hat and boots and enjoy the highlight of my summer down at Detroit's finest event!

Apr. 29 2010 10:21 AM
Taisha F from Canton

I was born and raised in Detroit, was educated in the Detroit Public School system and I think I turned out great. Even though I no longer live in the city, I still work in the city. Detroit has a lot of wonderful aspects for people to consider/reconsider. Greek town, all three of the casinos, the entire cultural center, campus martius park, the riverfront, Comerica park, ford field, hart plaza, and so much more. There are a lot of good neighborhoods as well as good schools in DPS. There are youth, in the city, doing positive and great things. I am totally appalled at the Dateline exclusive because it did not showcase what Detroit has to offer, if you want to see the "real Detroit", come and follow along real Detroiters!!!

Apr. 29 2010 10:10 AM
Bruce from Warren

[THIS COMMENT WAS REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS OFFENSIVE. PLEASE SEE OUR COMMENT GUIDELINES BELOW]

Apr. 29 2010 09:39 AM
CM Garcia from Washington, DC

Detroit's my hometown and always holds a special spot in my heart. Besides Belle Isle, Eastern Market, the Rivera murals at the DIA, incredibly beautiful architecture downtown and in the New Center area, Nuevo Leon tamaleria, La Gloria and really good Mexican restaurants, Detroit has wonderful people -- like my best friend Kathy. She's served the city's kids for more than 30 years in the Detroit Recreation Dept. -- making sure that her center is clean and safe places for the community. It's people like her that make Detroit great.

Apr. 29 2010 09:31 AM
Josh from Toronto

I ran the Detroit Marathon in October and thought the city was beautiful. So many lush, green areas, Indian Village being a total stunner among them. I like the people I have met from the greater Detroit area and would definitely go back.

Apr. 29 2010 09:27 AM
Candace Nicole Cooper from In Detroit!!!

I have lived in the city of Detroit for 31 years. I am Detroit! I am all of the good things that this city has to offer. Whenever there is an event I volunteer with various orginizations. One in particular, The Parade Company. i support all of our sports teams, even the Lions! I came out of the Detroit Public School system and currently still take classes at Wayne County Community College. I ride the D-Dot bus system faithfully everyday. I walk, run, bike, rollerblade, rollerskate, etc. on the River Walk. I do the same on Belle Isle, and am always amazed at it's beauty. When Campus Martius Park was built I adopted that park as my place of zen, where I relax and come up with my poetry. I am currently moving to the heart of downtown from the Southwest side. I am in and out of all of the big major buildings in the city. I am just saying that I truly live in this city and love this city no matter what. If anybody has a right to complain it's me, but I also have the right to compliment and I must say that Detroit is resiliant and will rise up from all of this negative publicity.

Apr. 29 2010 12:22 AM
Mark from Detroit

No one doubts there are huge problems in Detroit, but the Dateline report was just lazy journalism. There was no balance, no analysis, no digging or real work to get a thoughtful story. You could've done that in any major urban area in the country. And giving Sam RIddle an minute of airtime as a representative of anything? The guy's facing multiple criminal charges--did Dateline producers suddently forget how to read a newspaper or Google someone? How about Luther Keith at Arise Detroit, Maggie DeSantis at Warren-Conner Development, WIlliam Jones at Focus:Hope, Dan Varner at Think Detroit-PAL, Carol Goss at Skillman Foundation, Reid Thebault at the new downtown YMCA. Talk to people who matter, and who care about someone other than themselves.

As for jewels in the city that I love: Gesu Catholic Church (across from Univ of Detroit). Old, young, black, white, city and suburban people--active in many ministries and services, and a great choir!

Apr. 28 2010 09:28 PM
Alison Vaughn from Detroit

What I love about Detroit are the people.

Detroit has some good hearted people.
I was very disappointed with Dateline’s story on Detroit. The Title, “City of Heartbreak and Hope” showed very little HOPE. The story was off balanced. It showed about 50 minutes on the heartbreak and no more than 5 minutes on the hope.

I was born & raised in Detroit and operate a great business in Detroit. My non-profit organization, Jackets for Jobs provides career skills training, employment etiquette & business clothes in those seeking employment. We just celebrated 10 years of service to the Detroit Community. 10 Years, 10,000 clients, 1 suit at a t time. www.jacketsforjobs.org

Yes Detroit is in trouble, but unless the story they showed is going to bring help and hope to the city, then they need to do another segment to show some of Detroit's bright spots.

There are too many success stories from Detroit, to present such an unbalanced view. For every sad and negative story in Detroit, there is at least one positive and beautiful story to counteract it.

I also love attending the Detroit Lions football games. yes, I said Detroit Lions. I'm not a fair weather fan. My family has had season tkts for 30 yrs.

Apr. 28 2010 08:59 PM
John Celichowski, OFM Cap. from Detroit (East Side)

(1) The Riverwalk--a great place to run in the morning!

(2) The legacy of the Motown Sound--still an influence on American and indeed world music after 50 years!

(3) DTW--a well-designed and user-friendly airport that is one of the best that this frequent flyer has seen!

(4) A growing urban agriculture movement-- a potential source for "green jobs," better health, and creative land utilization!

(5) Great public radio--WDET, Michigan Public Radio, and WRJC!

(6) Comerica Park and Ford Field

Apr. 28 2010 08:52 PM
charlene mitchell-rodgers from West Bloomfield, MI

The wide variety of architecture and style of buildings and homes around the city makes it very historic, unusual and ecclectic. The people of Detroit are some of the friendliest in the nation. Even the least fortunate people seem to find something to smile about and are willing to help others. The thing I like most is that Detroiters refuse to give up their fight to rid the city of the corruption and thug mentality of the small percentage of the residents who have unfortunately smeared the entire region with an undeserved bad reputation. I work in Detroit, pay taxes, and I am optimistic that the situation will improve in the next few years.

Apr. 28 2010 08:42 PM
Sandy . from Warren

You can't candy coat it, Detroit has had rough times through out time. BUT many people have CHOSEN to stick around in the city or surrounding area's and find the BEST it has to offer. Check out the River Walk which was reclaimed for the use of all to enjoy. Stop in one of ethnic area's and enjoy a great meal. Come on down to the Thanksgiving Day Parade (betcha couldn't count the smiles in the "D" that day). River Days, Winter Blast, Detroit Free Press Marathon, Race for the Cure, Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, Pistons, Derby Girls, The Fox, Masonic Temple, Fisher Theatre, Eastern Market, Greek town, Hamtramck, DIA, Science Museum, Bridge to Canada, Mexican village, DETROIT HAS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE if you just open your eyes to the positive side of Detroit and suburbs. As a volunteer or attendee at many functions through out the area I have witnessed some of the BEST times where DETROIT has SHINED!

Apr. 28 2010 08:06 PM
Patricia Warner from Metro Detroit

My husband works in Detroit and we live in the suburbs. My son works in Detroit. Both my daughters and my son attended Wayne State. We are all so happy living and working here. My parents lived and worked in Detroit for many years and always loved the city with all it's diversity and culture. But, what people forget to mention is, not only is it a great city, it's a surviving city for many years that will never end. Detroiters are survivors! We are strong hard working people that love are area and have the added bonus of great weather ( the four seasons) don't forget. Love Detroit, no, we "Live Detroit" and love it!!

Apr. 28 2010 07:57 PM
Heidi from Fort Greene, Brooklyn

I love Detroit because of the opportunity there. These blogs explain it better than I could:

Apr. 28 2010 07:38 PM
JuAnita

I moved here from Georgia and found the people to be very welcoming and kind. This city and the surrounding areas are full of endless hope and possibilities. I feel very blessed to have found a home here.

Apr. 28 2010 07:38 PM
dave gebhard from brighton,mich

what i love about detroit is the hometown feeling,the thanksgiving parade,the tigers,the red wings,the lions.some of my friends live here.

Apr. 28 2010 06:32 PM
donna from Grosse Pointe

I wondered why the DIA, the African American History Museum, the Parade Company, The fabulous Restaurants and Clubs , the Fox, Fisher, Orchestra , the Gem Theater were not mentioned at all. It seemed to me that the piece did not want to point out anything great about detroit. He was standing on the new River Front and made not one comment about it. I love the city the is always something to do in Detroit.

Apr. 28 2010 06:06 PM
Marty from Huntington Woods

Despite the impact of the miserable economy that seems to affect everyone's life no matter what you do, I believe that the vast majority of people in the Detroit area are just plain good people at heart and in deed. That we are able to continue in this manner just speaks to the depth of our goodness. I am very respectful of people who figure out how to continue in this spirit despite their obvious hardships.

Apr. 28 2010 05:49 PM
Susan E. Palazzola from Eastpointe, Michigan

The City of Detroit......
Home of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings & Detroit Lions!!! These 3 venues alone bring in 100's of thousands of people into our City for Entertainment purposes! Detroit is a city with some of the most amazing Architecture found in Churches, homes, museums, the Detroit Opera House, Musical Theatres & Universities.
A city with 5 Star restaurants that have waiting lists 3 months out!
Detroit is the birthplace to many who went on to make it Big; On Screen/Behind the Screen, in Music or in Comedy! And yet the city is forever labeled for the homeless, poverty and literacy. Detroit is no different from Chicago or New York even Texas! They all have areas that are poverty stricken and crumbling.
I Love Detroit! I run in every 5K, 10K and Marathon that comes into town. Some 14,000 people ran in the Detroit Free Press Marathon and the energy from the crowd was amazing!
Detroit is a city that should be praised for all of its good and not condemed for the bad!
Yes, it needs work and rebuilding. But so does the South side of Chicago and Harlem!
I am a Detroiter and proud of it! I am going to raise my two young children here and teach them to make something out of their lives! Just like Jerry Bruckheimer, Francis Ford Coppola, Jeff Daniels, Sonny Bono, Tim Allen and Alice Cooper did! To name a few!

Apr. 28 2010 05:46 PM
Jeannie price from Detroit

I have lived all of my life in Detroit. At this point, although I'm not quite a senior yet, I am disabled and live in an absolutely beautiful historical building on the river overlooking Belle Isle and another park. I love Detroit for it's affordable brick bungalow and frame houses for it's working class population and the fact that we have many, many well kept neighborhoods of such homes. I love Detroit for all of its beautiful apartment buildings with high ceilings, maid quarters, swimming pools, exercise facilities and much, much more. I love Detroit for it's fabulous middle class and wealthy homes which are never shown in the media. I love Detroit for its wonderful world class medical facilities. Its drinking water is the absolute best. As everyone has commented, yes we have our problems too but what big city doesn't. Ours just seems to be highlighted more even by our own hometown media. Chris' report was not balanced at all. I'm sick of the Detroit bashing - come and visit - you'll get a very different perspectve.

Apr. 28 2010 05:42 PM
Van from Farmington Hills

Detroit has a fantastic river and water access to Lake St. Clair and the Great Lakes. We have the BEST freshwater boating and sailing in the world. The view of the City as well as Canada from the water is delightful. Add some of the best fishing opportunities in the country and you have the freshwater boating capitol of the world.

Apr. 28 2010 05:21 PM
Ulysses O. Hollowell, Jr. from Eastside Detroiter

Even though Detroit is in the throes of depression, the indomitable spirit of the people will sustain us, and we will see brighter days ahead. A vital part of this indomitable spirit is the work of artists, residents and community arts programs oftentimes lead by professional artists who are working alongside each other to create and recreate communities through art projects. Professional artists Tyree Guyton, Hubert Massey and Chazz Miller along with the Russell St. Industrial Center comes to mind as people and places where the synergy of people who love Detroit is helping to tranform and reform the city one arts project at a time... now if only our newly elected public servants will catch the vision and get on board, even greater things can happen in Detroit.

Apr. 28 2010 05:12 PM
Michael Shannon from Dearborn - Detroit

There is just SO much to do. Detroit has a never ending selection of activities, Eastern Market, music festivals, museums, theater, concerts, art festivals, fairs, food festivals, boating, eating out, dancing, clubs, shopping, city parks, water parks, never a dull or boring minute of course, unless you are...23 years as a resident and loving it.

Apr. 28 2010 05:02 PM
Jeff from The D

Lafayette Coney Island, Faygo, and a list of great musicians that's longer than the Great Wall of China. Oh, and Opening Day baseball and football on Thanksgiving!

Apr. 28 2010 04:53 PM
Joe Warren from Eastside of Detroit

I love being a part of the Parade Company and being a part of Detroit's best times! The Parade, the fireworks, Tigers, Redwings, Riverdays and all of the other great times that bring us from the metro Detroit area together as one!

Apr. 28 2010 04:51 PM
Sarida from Detroit

I have lived in Detroit most of my life, leaving only to attend school. There are so many things I love about my city. I love the beautiful homes in my neighborhood. I love Motown music. I love Belle Isle - it's where I trained for the marathon, where my wedding reception was held and where my family and I go every Labor Day. And I love the annual (used to be Montreux) jazz festival at the end of the summer. If you have never visited, please come. All of my visitors have a wonderful time here!

Apr. 28 2010 04:51 PM
James

I like that Detroit gave to me...a church home; the Shrine of the Black Madonna, my High School; Murray Wright Class of 1977 and the 1977 Pal Leadership recipient, Wayne State University; Class of 2000 and my Masters in Community Development from U of D/Mercy. I worked 12 years with the Detroit City Council, 4 with Councilman Clyde Cleveland. Today I am an Economic Development Specialist working with Michigan State University. I live in Detroit on the eastside. I want to give back to the city that made me the MAN I am today. James Ribbron

Apr. 28 2010 04:48 PM
Pam Turkin from Farmington HIlls

I opened a small business Just Baked in November of 2008 in Metro Detroit(Livonia). It was the worst time to do this but I believed in the city and wanted to stay here and engaged witht the area i grew up in. Not only did the city embrace us but they made sure that we thrived. We now have four locations and we know what a wonderful spirit the people in the Detroit area have. That Dateline was slanted and so far removed from the Detroit I know and Love...I have traveled all over the country for my previous jobs and there are "war zones" in most metropolitian areas. I am proud to be a business owner in the Detroit metropoltian area!
Pam

Apr. 28 2010 04:47 PM
Margo from Detroit Eastside

I love Belle Isle, downtown,and all of Detroits' sports teams. Detroit still has alot of people that mow their lawn, plant flowers, paint their house and volunteer to help public landscapes.

Apr. 28 2010 04:39 PM
Maria DeKimpe from Macomb

I am a Detroit Parade Volunteer and I love being involved with such a great group of hardworking people. I love that I was born and raised in the big "D"! When our sport teams are down we rally with them, when their up, it's party time.
I like that there are so many people willing to come together no matter what the cause. Detroiters love to volunteer and help others.People from Detroit are strong, resiliant and proud.

Apr. 28 2010 04:33 PM
Nick from GPF

I love the DIA, the theatre district downtown which always has a hum going, Comerica Park, the magnificent buildings and architecture, the Fisher Theatre and the building that houses it, the MGM Grand

Apr. 28 2010 04:31 PM
Sara

I love the people, we share our joys and pains with each other, we share information and we all work to help one another. I love all the hidden secrets of the City, all the great things that people do on their own to make this city great. I love the history, I love the trials, and I love all the great music that this city has bred. I love the DIA and my memories of eating rock candy at the Historical Museum. I love the great middle eastern and polish food! I love our diversity across the metro area.

Apr. 28 2010 04:26 PM
Deborah In Metro Detroit from Metro Detroit

I have lived here all my life. Detroit has many hidden treasures. We have Greektown and Mexican Village. We have our theater and cultural district. Although we lost the aquarium, Belle Isle is still a hidden gem and I have listened to people who have recently visited Belle Isle and loved it. We still have some beautiful neighborhoods where people take pride in their property and their neighbors. I have friends in other states who had left but are returning and wanting to start new businesses. We have Comerica Park and Ford Field. There are many parks down by the river and you can take a stroll along the River Walk. I can go on, but it is up to you to take in what Detroit has to offer. Detroit will be back stronger than ever.

Apr. 28 2010 04:22 PM
Joseph DuMouchelle

I love the people of Detroit. There are so many good people, on every street, and in every neighborhood. I love the food, the boat races on the river, the sports, the music, and the concerts. I love the history we've created and how Detroit has helped the country. I love the strength, and resiliency, Detroiters have. I love our Canadian neighbors. I look forward to Detroit being a strong city in the future with good leadership.

Apr. 28 2010 04:21 PM
Victoria from Metro Detroit

What I love: I’m noticing something interesting in these blogs…”a regional voice of pride” folks from all over Metro Detroit regardless of their zip code are speaking up in support of THEIR city…ummm seems a bit different from how we’ve been perceived and portrayed by outsiders. The thing is…this Dateline report is nothing new… it’s not some revelation… we’ve been kicked around by outsiders for years. For decades, we have had to defend our city and find ways to sing our own praises…and little by little that situation has built a resilient and fiercely loyal Detroiter. We are bonded to our city and more importantly each other and that’s powerful!

Apr. 28 2010 04:11 PM
Roy from Saline, MI

I moved here from Indiana 10 years ago, and I LOVE this region. Such diversity of thought, opportunity, experiences, culture. But, mostly, I like that people are REAL here. Unlike some metro areas, there is very little pretense here. People are rugged, tough, funny, and accepting.

Apr. 28 2010 04:00 PM
Cathy Sullivan from California

I love the MGM Grand Hotel in Detroit, especially the desserts!

Apr. 28 2010 03:36 PM
Jen from Metro Detroit

Having been in Metro Detroit for a year, I’ve found a big city with a small-town feel: Everyone knows everyone, and happily embraces newcomers. There is an incredible entrepreneurial spirit in the business world that’s also visible culturally and civically: People making something out of nothing, wanting to see change, and willing to invest money, time and talent to make it happen. It’s a proactive energy that’s contagious. We don’t want to hide the negative. We want to convert it to the positive.

Apr. 28 2010 03:35 PM
Ann Wood from Ann Arbor

Do not forget the fabulous airport that we have these days.

Apr. 28 2010 03:31 PM
Patti from Birmingham, MI

Having grown up on the west side of the state with a lack of things to do, I appreciate the big town atmosphere without the big town feel. I love the fact that we are moments away from a world-class orchestra, art museum, science museum and a complete plethora of sports teams. Yes, you sometimes have to look past the blight of the city, every city has it. But we are a city of warm, caring people with open hearts- ready to share with the world. They are missing out by not visiting the Detroit that we know and love.

Apr. 28 2010 03:17 PM
Dichondra from Lansing, MI

Simply put, Detroit put the world on the map. It has great people, great buildings, cool history, and wonderful arts and culture. Underneath the grit and grim, is an vibrant underground vibe that cannot be put into words. Very telling is the Annual Electronic Music Festival attracting people from all over the US and the world each year, despite reports of crime and dispair ( and the higher admission price). Last year at a festival after party, I spent time with a large group of New Yorkers until 5am, they all had an amazing experience. They marvelled over the fact that I was a "real" Detroiter with "real" Detroit stories to share. This fall I met up with some of them again in New York...all they could say is that is the Detroit girl and I was the hit the party for there is a respect that comes with being from Detroit that many people underestimate. I just had to leave Detroit for work and I am missing the city life terribly.

We need to look at ourselves in the eyes of others, we are much better than we think we are. But if you cannot see your own greatness, then why should anyone else?

Apr. 28 2010 03:11 PM
Shelley Rose from Oakland County

As a native Detroiter whose family moved to Southfield in 1966, I love my memories of a vibrant city and the memories I later made with my daughters through visits to the DIA, Science Center, Wright Museum, Historical Museum, Fisher Theater, Opera House, Greektown, and more. As young adults, my daughters are now Detroit enthusiasts who enjoy all that the city has to offer while they join me in supporting efforts to try to restore the city's lost luster and vitality.

Apr. 28 2010 03:10 PM
Paul P. from Houston, TX

My wife and I left the D for Houston because of the negative mentality, self-defeating attitudes, desperation and downward-spiraling society. We haven't looked back since, and never will.

There are good things about the city, but when so many slices of the loaf are so bad, does that make the slices not turning to mold any better?

Apr. 28 2010 03:05 PM
Deborah Schultz from Plymouth

What's not to love about Detroit. There's so many facets to the city. Yeah, we have our sections of the city that need renovating but doesn't every city. It's sad that's all that's focused on when we have so many wonderful pieces of history that make up the charm of Detroit. The Riverwalk, the DIA, the Detroit Science Center, Wayne State campus, Comerica Park, the vast number of wonder restaurants from the posh eateries in the casinos to the restaurants that have withstood the economy like the Chop House and Pontchartrain Hotel. Not to mention those events such as the St. Patrick's Day parade, the ice skating downtown and Jazz festival. And I wouldn't hesitate to mention Lafayette Coney Island downtown where numerous friends have stopped off there after their weddings to grab a coney on the way to their reception. I think they missed the point.

Apr. 28 2010 03:03 PM
Stephanie from Detroit

I choose to live in Detroit. I choose to live in downtown Detroit where I walk out my front door to Campus Martius, the best ubran park/public space in the country, where I can walk to over 100 restaurants, bars, and clubs in less than 1 mile, where I can go to the second largest theatre district in the country, where I can walk to three sports arenas, where I can walk on the most beautiful riverwalk overlooking Canada, Belle Isle, and the amazing Ambassador Bridge, where I can go to a different and diverse festival every weekend in Hart Plaza in the summer, and where my friends from the suburbs want to come and visit (and secretly live).

Someone made the comment about preaching the gospel of this city, and they hit it right on the mark. I feel like I am a disciple to this city; I venture out and speak the truth about our beloved Detroit and what it truly is; beautiful, welcoming, humble, growing, diverse, and proud, just to mention a few adjectives. We all need to be disciples, spreading the good word about Detroit and all it has to offer. We do ourselves and our city/region a huge disservice by allowing others to badger us and bring us down. Rather than let them spread hate and lies, we need to fight back with truth and media relations that speak to the sincere nature of Detroit.

Apr. 28 2010 03:00 PM
evelyne mosby lundberg

I love Detroit's soul and spirit. I do not like its divisiveness and the various racial tensions we are constantly feeling here. There is more racial tension in Detroit than anywhere else !! I moved away from Detroit a few years back as I realized that I could not do anything any more. Coleman Young did incredible things in Detroit, it looks as though Dave Bing will as well. Many of Detroit's politicians have been less than "honest" and that is the tragedy of Detroit . Too many people putting their personal agendas first, instead of thinking of the residents of the town. Detroit needs to improve its schools, and then maybe people will return, after all, what parent wants to put their child in harm's way?? But a new dialog needs to open among Detroit's residents. The divisions and mistrusts are appalling.

Apr. 28 2010 02:56 PM
Michael from Detroit

There are a ton of great examples of people, businesses and organizations that are working together to raise up Detroit and to make it a better place to live, work and raise a family.

I suggest checking out programs such as Luther Keith's ARISE Detroit, the New Detroit Coalition, the Detroit Parent Network, The Family Place, 4C, the Boll YMCA, or even the place that I work for: YouthVille Detroit.

Chris Hanson and his producers didn't do their homework. Had they done a better job of pre-production, the wouldn't be facing this onslaught of post-production angst.

Apr. 28 2010 02:52 PM
Dave from Huntington Woods

Joe Louis Arena, Tiger Stadium, Comerica Park, Ford Field, Fox Theater, The Gem Theater, DAC, MGM Casino, Greektown Casino, The Ambasdor Bridge, The Tunnel to Canada, Ford Motor Company, Dave Bing, The Henry Ford Museum, Pewabic Pottery, Detroit Science Center, The Belle Isle Aquarium to be reopened, Eastern Market, Royal Oak Farmers Market and The Suburbs.

Apr. 28 2010 02:48 PM
Michael Kuentz from Dearborn - Detroit

As for the Dateline report, the reporting and accuracy of it was correct to a point. The point that the program failed to miss was about the Phoenix effect that Detroit and local businesses are experiencing now. There is great growth and revitalization that was never mentioned in the news story.

As for the inclusion of Sam Riddle in the package, ... See Morethat was a direct result of poor planning and producing on the producer's side. He or she simply looked at a newspaper headline and determined that Sam Riddle represented the pulse of the City. There are far greater people in this city who can accurately represent both it and people better than Sam Riddle: Luther Keith and Jack Kresnak come to mind. So does Judith Jackson, Marge Sorge, or even John George of Motor City Blight Busters.

Lastly the inclusion of the Coon Man was a low blow to the City and a vicious Michael Moore inspired move. If you remember, Moore used the "Rabbits for Food" tactic in "Roger and Me" to demonstrate how down on their luck and low people in Flint had sank since GM left town. Both the Coon Man and Rabbits For Food were a gross mis-representation of the people and cities they represented.

I am a Detroit transplant. I met my wife here, raise my two kids here and I work and live here. I work for a non-profit youth media educational center and meet and work with incredible, wonderful and motivated people each and every day. I love Detroit and think it is a fascinating, revealing and unique city to live in.

Apr. 28 2010 02:46 PM
Ron from Orion

I love that Detroit was a great city in the 1970s- the 5th largest and that we now if we desire can remake it into something remarkable. We just need to decide to do it.
Detroit can become cooler than Seattle, more hip than NOLA and the place you want to come to. Diverse, cool, hip, sick, we can make it here. All with in sight of a great river front and remarkable people and sports teams.
If we want it bad enough and if we come together...I love that.

Apr. 28 2010 02:46 PM
David from Ferndale

I love Detroit because it represents opportunity. If you have an idea, you can make it happen here. Yes, the economy is bad, but that means that buildings and land are cheap and there are plenty of people looking for work (low cost of entry!). There is a tight knit community of entrepreneurs and people in Michigan like to support local businesses. It's a place where one person really can make a difference.

Of course, the other things that people have said are true. We have a metro population of ~5 million, which helps support a very good arts scene, a ton of excellent (and usually reasonably priced) restaurants, great outdoor activities right at our doorstep, and (usually) competitive professional sports teams. Furthermore, we’re in a part of the country that doesn’t have major natural disasters and we have plenty of fresh water!

Apr. 28 2010 11:00 AM
Kevin Krease from Grosse Pointe/Detroit

After college I moved to Portland, OR. Great place, but too small and too far away. I moved back home to Grosse Pointe, magically landed a job in the city, and just moved to midtown.

What I love is that whenever I travel and strike up a conversation with my barista, and tell her I'm visiting, she asks where from, and I say "Detroit", she hesitates, and says "are things alright there?"

I LOVE THIS. I love living and supporting and preaching the gospel of a city who is undervalued, overlooked, and historically amazing. I love living in a city that everyone in the world thinks has turned over and died. I love being in a massive metropolis but being able to easily connect with the movers and the shakers that are transforming this place. I love rich history and forging a path to the future, cognizant of our past.

Simply put, I love living where no one else could imagine living.

Apr. 28 2010 10:12 AM
Amyre Loomis from NYC

Please visit Palmer Woods Celeste (7 mile & Woodward), the most beautiful and enchanting neighborhood in the world. I grew up there, and the trees are so old and tall that they create a roof over the neighborhood. The architecture is stunning - every house/mansion is an orginal. The field in the middle of the hood is where the kids played baseball everyday (trees were bases). My fam still lives there; younger sis followed in my parents footsteps raising her family on other side of magical Palmer Woods. I'm a Brooklyner now, and visiting MI is going on vacation for me.

Apr. 28 2010 10:03 AM
Jan Anderson from eastside of detroit

there is a place for everybody in Detroit - even the least among us - and all of our lives are equally elevated or degraded by the actions of every other. every day living here, i know exactly who I am, how much better of a person I could be, how much i really do need my fellow man. i just think we need more of this. and i just worry what happens if every single thing in this culture (including people) is expendable.

Apr. 27 2010 11:42 PM
Joaquin Whelan from SW Detroit

Love Detroit? Don't like when people highlight the negative things? Fix it. That is what we are doing:
www.greenplacedetroit.com.
We are teaching kids how to build a house out of recycled shipping containers. Want to see us in action, another meeting Wed 4/28.

Apr. 27 2010 09:22 PM
Betty Risher from Warren, MI

I Love Detroit. It has great Sports teams, including the new Detroit Derby Girls. It has a world Class Art Institute, a the DSO and MAX where we here music from Clasical to Jazz, the Detroit Jazz Festival on the River, Motown, Teckno, Salsa etc. I love the diversity of cultures and relegion. My Church Sacred Heart is the oldest black Catholic church in Michigan with a true Gosipal Choir and a true Sheppard of the people. And you really can see Canada from our shore and visit it often.

Apr. 27 2010 08:29 PM
George Gardiner from Ferndale MI

Culturally, Detroit really has everything and if you are willing to drive a little, you can get to it pretty easily.

One of our hidden gems is our salsa dance scene. Not many would think of Detroit as a salsa scene, but we have a very unique multi-cultural scene where people from all walks of life and every country on the planet dance together in the clubs and dance halls night after night. Every time I leave Detroit and dance somewhere else I appreciate what we have in Detroit that much more.

Apr. 27 2010 07:58 PM
Mimi Helveston from Detroit

I love my wonderful English tudor home in the middle of Detroit's historic Palmer Woods, the flowering trees and tulips in bloom now throughout my neighborhood, the architecture of the lovely, spacious homes of my neighborhood, the diversity of the interesting people in my community--artists, musicians, doctors, lawyers, politicians, educators, former college presidents, etc, the political and social activism of my neighbors, and the strong community bond between us. I love the idea that the neighborhood association sponsors a concert series in our homes with performers like Spencer Barefield, Thornetta Davis and DSO musicians, that we open our homes to the public during the Christmas holidays to raise money for COTS and community beautification ,that we have a group of professionals who live in the neighborhood who volunteer their time to watch and protect the few houses in the neighborhood that have fallen into foreclosure and that we have a police horse named Wyn who started patrolling our streets last February.

Apr. 27 2010 06:30 PM
Zombo from Your Nightmares

Two words: Theatre Bizarre

Find anything like this anywhere else in the world and then say that Detroit is broken. It isn't broken. It's a playground.

Apr. 27 2010 02:37 PM
Joyce Cusmano from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

I tire easily of the pessimists and those who continue to spotlight the dark side of Detroit. Detroit, like any other major urban metroplex, has crime, broken neighborhoods, unemployment and its own personal warts. That’s a given, and it makes sensational TV and sells newspapers. All we ask for is a balanced report to show the resiliency of our City and its people and the multitude of positive quality of life offerings we enjoy every day. There is an amazing force of young Detroiters who are becoming the new heartbeat of this City. I am impressed by the commitment and energy of the grassroots group, Declaration Detroit (http://declaredetroit.wordpress.com/) – here is where our future is embedded and where new leadership is emerging. I can list dozens of Detroit’s attributes and amazing treasures that dwell in our diverse downtown districts and neighborhoods. Anyone who thinks Detroit offers little, book a tour with a group like Inside Detroit (http://Insidedetroit.org) and get a fresh perspective. Our cup is more than half full, not half empty. I was born and raised in Detroit and lived in the city for more than 30 years and have been working in Detroit since the late 60s. This is my turf and I promote it with zeal, heart and soul.

Apr. 27 2010 12:15 PM
Denise from Detroit from Detroit area

Something I've been noticing: the negativity about our town has been the impetus for us Detroiters to start seeing the positive aspects we're surrounded by, including each other, not just the great art, architecture, music, food, etc., that we all know exist and that we enjoy in Detroit. We're smiling at each other more, we're taking the message that we like who we are with us--wherever we go, whether we are actual residents of the city or suburbanites. This attitude of liking who we are and where we're from is something that's been missing in Detroit for a long, long time. So, knock the Dateline story for its blatant imbalance, knock Time magazine for the poverty porn--they've driven us to begin waking up and finding pride in who we are and what we want to be here in Detroit--I see it in the comments I'm reading here. We have unlimited potential and all Detroiters have the spirit and work ethic to fulfill it.

Apr. 27 2010 10:52 AM
RARP from Detroit, MI

As quoted in Loren Estleman's book "Jitterbug" which was set in Detroit: "Detroit was a pretty good old place, ugly as a ticky old hound dog but just as friendly, if you knew just where to scratch it."

I've lived here my whole life, and I can't really imagine living anywhere else. That quote is an absolute truism.

Apr. 27 2010 10:42 AM
bud liebler

I love that so many people care so deeply about this place. Despite the warts and problems, there is so much more good here than bad and the future potential is almost unlimited. Take off the blinders and you can see it.

Detroit is a unique, gritty, hard working, hard playing, caring town. Look around and you can find anything. Get involved and you can have an impact, make a difference.

For the first time in my 40 years here, I'm starting to see people in the metropolitan region really want to pull together for the city. If that happens, watch out! There will be a whole new Detroit story to tell a decade from now and people will be flocking here to see how we did it and to become a part of it.

We've fallen hard. I think we're positioned now to make a U-turn to a much brighter future.

Apr. 27 2010 10:14 AM
jeff from Birmingham

The best place to get a true perspective of Detroit is by visiting Cass Tech High School and looking out from the 7th level Media Center. One of Detroit's true gems, Cass Tech has some of the areas brightest and talented students. The building is light- filled and inspiring to the students and staff in contrast to its location in the poorest area of the city.
There is a strong sense of optimism inside Cass Tech that needs to be shared with the outside world.
Listening to the students sing or watching the dancers dance would go a long way too!

Apr. 27 2010 10:08 AM
Sara from metro detroit

What I love about Detroit is that it is like no where else,

There's a scene for everyone. We have great culture, history, arts, diversity, restaurants, music, sports ...

It is truly a unique place. For every abandoned building and sad story there is a beautiful historic building and a great story about people pursing dreams big + small, finding success and making a difference in their community.

What I really love - is that people are finally starting to talk with each other and are facing the challenges, instead of just ignoring the problems.

We have great problems - but we also have great people. The time is right to shine a light and embrace all the good things that are happening: the small businesses, the strong neighborhoods, the community leaders and activists and move the city forward.

Apr. 27 2010 09:44 AM
Anita M. Twardesky from Wyandotte Michigan

We just love the great natural resources! The Detroit River is a gem. So close to the Detroit River, Huron, Clinton, Rouge and Lake Erie...it makes for a great place to kayak! www.riversidekayak.com

Apr. 27 2010 09:39 AM
Treena from Detroit

One of the things I love most about Detroit is its vibrant arts community and how artists and organizations work together to support and promote it--The Scarab Club, Detroit Artists Market, CAID, Work Detroit, Springfed Arts/Metro Detroit Writers--the list goes on and on. There's a real dedication to the importance of art in strengthening the community.

Apr. 27 2010 09:21 AM
L. Ellis

There is so much to love about Detroit! The city is full of art and music; the area is diverse, with all kinds of delicious food; there's history; there's beautiful housing stock; boating on the river; it's inexpensive; you rarely have to wait for a table at a bar or restaurant; the roads are rarely crowded; and we have great sports teams. Plus, people are down to earth.

Two more things:

-- Earthworks Urban Farm (http://www.cskdetroit.org/EWG/) and all of the other wonderful community gardens throughout the city. Urban agriculture has really taken root here and is a positive force.

-- Good Girls Go to Paris Crepes (http://www.goodgirlsgotopariscrepes.com/) and all of the other new businesses in the city started by young people who have vision and hope and are able to move past the past and take action to build a better future. There is a lot of momentum among young people to make change and that is exciting!

Apr. 27 2010 09:04 AM
Robert Brincheck from Southfield

So many things to love and enjoy about the city.

The DIA is a gem and one of the top 5 museums in the country.

The architecture is also something that is under appreciated.

But the best thing about the city and the area are the people that care deeply about their community.

People like architect Michael Poris and his efforts to preserve the unique buildings in the city for future renovation while improving the look and safety of the city at night.

Here is a story about his efforts: http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/23154405/index.html

This would be a great topic for Celeste's visit.

Apr. 27 2010 08:07 AM
Violeta Donawa from Everywhere and anywhere

Detroit is a stamp of what this country represents, presently and historically. It is one of the most segregated cities in the nation - if we delve deep into that, we will be able to uncover the racial politics that have shaped each of us whether we realize it or not, whether we like it or not. It is a site of knowledge - not simply because it is home to a great university like Wayne State or because of our amazing museums, but because the city itself, within its social fabric carries a story in the air. Many of us have roots in the South and in the Americas - seemingly disparate communities but sharing one space - that yes, can still be worlds a part (e.g., eastside, westside, southwest). Either way, I love the residents who know the value and richness of this city.

Detroit has some of the best hip hop artists , people who should also be considered as storytellers and recognized in a larger light, such as Invincible, Stryfe, MaeDay, and more.

I love the festivals during the summer - the Caribbean & African World festival, the Jazz festival - the events bring people together allowing us to highlight our talents, ethnicities, race, and prosocial contribution as Detroiters.

There is no doubt that we have our troubles but we also have our successes which need to be shown in the media.

Apr. 27 2010 12:52 AM
Kris & Renee from The Hand

Detroit has more to offer than most can imagine if you're just willing to look , vacationing in my hometown has become a weekly activity ....

A walk at Heidelberg , Eastern Market , Riverwalk , Elmwood or Palmer Woods , all great on a sunny day . Check out the Scott fountain or the Conservatory on Belle Isle .

Lunch on the roof at Motor City Brew works , outside Slows , or a table at Forans .....

How about a trip to Southwest for some dessert at La Gloria or a coffee at Cafe con Leche , maybe a burrito from a street vendor on Vernor or some tacos at Mi Pueblo !!

Taking in some historic architecture at the Fisher , Guardian or Penobscot , a home tour in Corktown , Indian Village or Boston Edison .

Then there's the amazing Theatres , the Fox , Gem , Orchestra hall , Opera House , Music Hall , or catch a great film at the Historic Redford Theatre or Detroit Film Theatre .

In the mood for Italian ?? Roma ,Giovanni's , Vince's , Mario's , they'll satisfy . Some great German food at the Historic Ratheskeller , a trip to Greektown for some Saganaki or perogi at Polish Village or Polonia !!

Lions , Wings , Tigers , yeah , we have Pro sports . From Hydroplanes & Airplanes racing the Detroit river , to the Hard hitting Detroit derby Girls at the beautiful Masonic Temple , we've got sports covered .

Music your bag ??? Detroit has top quality Symphony & Opera , Jazz at historic Baker's Keyboard or the art deco Cliff Bells & enough great local music filling the Bars in Hamtramck than you'll have time for....

Art , Science , Motown , Historic , African American , we've got museums .

Good eats , you're covered , Mudgies , Good Girls , Shangri La , TJ's , Majestic , Union Street , La Petit , Xochi's or maybe something higher end at the Whitney , Opus One or the Rattlesnake .

Feel like making you're own ?? Shop at the amazing Eastern Market , stop by Avalon , maybe pick something up at Honey Bee , E & L Supermercado , Bozek's , Polish Market or New Palace !!

No wonder Dateline neglected to mention the good things about Detroit , there are just too many to list ......

Sorry if this reads like a travel guide , I meant it to , suburbanite or out of towner , plenty to Love about Detroit , come see for yourself !!!

Apr. 26 2010 11:54 PM
Daniel Carron from Berkley

I love everything about Detroit. The culture, the music, the history, the scenery, the sports, and most importantly, the people. Detroiters are proud. We represent the Olde English D everywhere we go.

Apr. 26 2010 10:39 PM
Richard from Detroit

I like that Detroiter's usually come through when needed. We often create bad situations ourselves through neglect or corruption. But when the time comes to help, Detroit come through.

Apr. 26 2010 10:07 PM
Joe from TwoHungryDudes.com

The food (and beer).

From Middle-Eastern to Mexican to Vietnamese to Greek to Italian to BBQ to our Detroit-style Pizza, Detroit has any type of cuisine you could want and we do it all well. Our food scene is thriving - artisans are opening new places focused on handmade, locally sourced food.

Detroit also has an incredible beer scene - Motor City Brew Works, Detroit Brewing Company, Atwater Block Brewery & Traffic Jam & Snug brew some great beers.

Apr. 26 2010 09:24 PM
Donald E. Phillips from Detroit, Michigan-(Eastside)

I love Detroit! We have a great history, and present. If you work and know the great people like I do you know what's really makes Detroit Great and Special is its people. We have a great future. Because we have people working in all sectors of our community making things happen. Keep you eyes on Detroit-some more great things are in the works and will be coming soon to make a positive difference in our community, city, state, nation and the world!

Apr. 26 2010 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the great comments! We'll read as many as we can throughout tomorrow's radio show and later in the week.
-Jim (digital editor).

Apr. 26 2010 09:22 PM
Brian from Detroit, MI

I love that Detroit is one of the few cities in America that is thinking critically and rethinking what a city is and can be. You'll find some of the most amazing thinkers and people in the world right here in Detroit redefining what the word "city" means: Tyree Guyton and the Heidelberg Project, Gina Reichert & Mitch Cope at Design 99, Grace Lee Boggs, (and I could go on and on...). They're not trying to make Detroit be like some place else, they're trying to help Detroit come to terms with what it currently is and to celebrate what it is. Other towns may uncritically follow the path of urbanism, but Detroit is thinking very critically about what it means to have been the epitome and height of Modernity and to have followed Modernity to it's logical end.

Apr. 26 2010 08:48 PM
Tom from Ypsilanti, MI

One of the many best reasons to love Detroit is for the incredibly innovative music it continues to offer the planet. Detroit is home to the late J Dilla, one of the greatest musical minds of our time. His music continues to inspire musicians in Detroit and across the globe. In Detroit, Waajeed, Dabrye, Invincible, Finale, 5 Ela, Starlet Lee, Kyle Hall, and so many others continue to carry the torch.

Apr. 26 2010 08:26 PM
John Biggar from Detroit

The cool old buildings that have been restored

The Guardian Building for offices for Wayne County

The Book Cadillac for the Westin Hotel, restored to its former glory and great restaurants

Research Lofts for former factory to loft conversion, its a real loft done really well

The Centaur Bar in the Iodent Building, an abandoned building turned into the coolest bar in Detroit

Apr. 26 2010 08:07 PM
Jean Alicia Elster from Detroit

I was born in Detroit and my husband and still live in the city. We raised our two wonderful--now adult--children here. What I love best--Detroit is home to some of the finest cultural and educational institutions in the country.

Apr. 26 2010 07:41 PM
Lori Jo Vest from Troy, MI

I LOVE Detroit. I was born in Detroit, live in the suburbs and will live here the rest of my life. I always say that they may have great weather in California and incredible culture in NY, but we have the best people here in metro Detroit - unpretentious, hard working, caring and incredibly resilient.

Apr. 26 2010 07:13 PM
Adam

I love the past, present and future of this city. It was the Arsenal of Democracy, the beginning of the global automobile industry, and it has great potential for new investment and clean, green industry.

I love WSU, Eastern Market, Hart Plaza, and many neighborhoods in between. The music scene was and still is incredible, from Alvin's Bar on up to the Fox Theatre.

Outsiders often see only a decaying mess, but that's because they rarely are shown the culture, arts, and history of this city. More importantly, they are rarely shown the hope and planning that we are taking to turn this city around.

It may never again be as grand as it was in the 1920s, when millions flocked here for jobs, but we are proud people, and we want our city to get a fair shake.

Apr. 26 2010 06:56 PM
annie K from metro Detroit

This is a city/region of nonconformists. You can be yourself. It also has the ability to surprise. Despite all that's been said about the decay, there are some areas that look better than ever. Put a bunch of small entrepreneurs on a block and prepare to be amazed.

Apr. 26 2010 06:50 PM
hadi from rochester hills

metro detroit is a place of incredible potential, limitless possibilities, and growing positivity. it's an area full of people who are not waiting for someone else to give them anything; they're taking action in various forms to reach tangible goals - in the name of their community. and metro detroit is home to an impressively rich diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, values, culture, style, the arts, entertainment, and industry.

detroiters are friendly, open, hospitable, industrious and ambitious; detroiters are serious about improving the lives of those who live, work, and visit here. we know there's work to be done. and as a community, we're on it. but in the meantime, there's already plenty to love.

Apr. 26 2010 06:34 PM
Melissa from Detroit

What I love: The arts, the sports, the history, the architecture, the entrepreneurial spirit, the Eastern Market, Belle Isle, the lasting cultural contributions from the wide variety of immigrant populations, and the many distinct and vibrant neighborhoods.

What America needs to know: While the Dateline story was not inaccurate, it was unbalanced. We are a city facing a great many monumental problems but many Detroiters prefer to have a more optimistic point of view. There is already great change under way. Detroit is full of possibilities.

Apr. 26 2010 06:32 PM
Anne from Ferndale

I love the creativity of Detroit's people. I love the school I teach at in Detroit. I love my students who are the future of Detroit.

I love Detroit music.

I love the urban agriculture movement in Detroit.

I love the colors of Detroit. The faded paint and the gritty brick and the vibrant city lights at night.

I love the toughness of Detroit and of its people.

I love Detroit!

Apr. 26 2010 05:43 PM
Ann Slawnik from Detroit

I was born in the city, raised in the suburbs, and then raised my own family in the city in a great neighborhood -- a real community. The Detroit region overall has so much to offer and we need to work harder to tell our own stories -- to our neighbors, coworkers and friends. Reach out and react and engage in the difficult issues when needed, but also promote some of the great things that are going on.

Apr. 26 2010 05:34 PM

I was born in Detroit on November, 27 1954. I like going to the see the Tigers play. I will be going to a game May 29, 2010.

Gary

Apr. 26 2010 05:31 PM
Curtis from Royal Oak, MI

I moved to Detroit from LA just over 2 years ago to pursue a job in the auto industry and have fallen in love with this city. You get spoiled in big cities; having anything and everything at your fingertips. Detroit is a greatly rewarding city for those who are willing to find it. There is a sense of being right on the cusp of something great here. A spirit that has never died. Detroit is a city with opportunity for creative people willing to take a chance on it.

Apr. 26 2010 05:30 PM
Jocelyne Ninneman from Detroit > New Orleans

Love the genuine nature of Detroiters. Love that it is the Music Mecca of the World.

Apr. 26 2010 05:24 PM
Kristin Getchell from Detroit

Lafayette Coney, Motown Museum, Baker's Keyboard Lounge, Cliff Bell's MOTH Story Telling Nights, Eastern Market (it's the "largest historic public market district" in the United States), Avalon Bakery's Breads and sweet treats, The Diego Rivera Mural at the DIA, The Scarab Club's names of famous artists scrawled on the ceiling beams, foreign films at the Detroit Film Theatre, John King books (HUGE used book store), the Guardian Building and it's giant Michigan Mural and ornate Aztec Art Deco tiling inside. The Bronx Bar and the Old Miami- best dives in Detroit! Jacoby's Biergarten, an old favorite for potato pancakes and great German beer...the list goes on!!!

Apr. 26 2010 05:16 PM
Courtney Velasquez from Detroit Mommies

I love the hospitality and the passion that Detroiters possess! We chose to move from S.CA to Metro Detroit about a year and a half ago and LOVE IT! I've never seen such positive attitudes or such drive as I see in the hearts and on the faces of the people of Detroit!

Apr. 26 2010 05:15 PM
Nikki Stephan from metro Detroit

I love how Detroiters are resilient and show passion for the city and all Michigan has to offer, regardless of the negative stories national media continue to tell.

I also love how Detroit has some amazing venues for entertainment (Fox Theatre, Detroit Opera House, Gem Theatre, etc.) and restaurants that are comparable to those in New York City or Chicago (Saltwater, Roast, Coach Insignia, the Whitney, etc.). There is SO much to do in the city and its surrounding suburbs.

Also, Detroit's interactive community is letting its voice be heard loud and clear to let the world know we're making things happen. There are so many creative and talented people in Detroit who are starting businesses and investing in this region. We recently held FutureMidwest (www.futuremidwest.com) in a Detroit suburb, which was the largest technology/knowledge conference in the Midwest that focused on using the social Web to communicate and grow a business in new ways. Here's a great overview: http://pulse2.com/2010/04/26/futuremidwest-2010-fmw10-inspired-a-social-media-revolution-in-metro-detroit/.

I may be biased because I was part of the internal conference team, but it was a huge success for a first time conference. And it happened in metro Detroit.

Detroit has so much to offer, and I really hope the rest of the world starts to realize that soon!

Apr. 26 2010 05:06 PM
Judith Bursott from Roseville

I love how diverse it is.
Belle Isle is a great place to sit and watch the boats go by, go to the nature center, & check out the flower house.
Lots of great places to eat.
Eastern Market with it's fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, herbs, plants shrubs, flowers.
Bert's for some great catfish or ribs.
Greek Town, Cork Town, & John Kings Used Books.
The best Blues at Nancy Whiskey's very close to the old Tiger Stadium.
Comerica Park-Detroit Tigers
Red Wings.
Traffic Jam Resturant
The best Breweries

Apr. 26 2010 05:00 PM
Kristin from Oxford

Despite the very public shortfalls, Detroit is a city with determination like no other. Detroit residents never give up, no matter how insurmountable the odds.

Though many residents battle unemployment or underemployment, they still rally together to help one another when in the clutch. This is especially evident in the area's nonprofits, like Forgotten Harvest, based in Oak Park.

Forgotten Harvest picks up surplus perishable and prepared foods from places like grocery stores, farmers, restaurants and casinos to deliver to people who need to eat. They recognized early on that it's not just a matter of the area's most destitute who need assistance, it's people who are choosing between paying bills and feeding their families. It's people who were affluent one day, and seeing pink slips the next. Forgotten Harvest has amped up it's efforts to meet this need. While they know they cannot feed everyone, they are doing everything they can to help as many as they can.

It's representative of the hearts and souls of people throughout Detroit. Detroiters are tough. Maybe not always because they want to be, but because they have to be. And they will continue to be for as long as it takes.

Apr. 26 2010 04:54 PM
James Melton from Detroit

This town has some of the coolest old buildings in the nation. It also has a great arts scene and a 'never day die' attitude. OK, so, the car thing isn't working out as well as it did in the past... but, hey, NO problem! We have TechTown (near Wayne State) and loads of small-time entrepreneurs. Coming soon: urban farms. Have money to invest? Invest it here. This is where city life is being reinvented.

Apr. 26 2010 04:29 PM
Brenda from Westland

Detroit is like that crazy uncle every family has.
No one asks too many questions about how he makes a living.....the answer would make us uncomfortable.
He's great to hang out with....new food, drinks, hockey games, fancy cars, etc. But in the end, he's kind of sketchy and not a good influence, so you limit your visits to a few times a year.

Apr. 26 2010 04:28 PM
Erin Rose from Ferndale, MI

Below is the link to an article I co-wrote with Ashley Woods that was the cover story for the Valentine's Day issue of Real Detroit Weekly that sums our love for Detroit up quite nicely:

99 Reasons to Fall in Love with Detroit

Apr. 26 2010 04:14 PM
Todd Abrams from Ferndale, MI

The Food!

From swanky downtown joints to hole-in-the-wall Coney Islands. Hamtramck’s diverse restaurants and marketplaces. The concentration of Asian establishments in Madison Heights.

And especially Detroit’s Eastern Market. Full of people and stories and great local food.

Apr. 26 2010 03:56 PM
Lish Dorset from Plymouth

As a part of Handmade Detroit and the Detroit Urban Craft Fair, I love being a part of the crafty community here in not only the city but our state overall. We have some really talented people here reminding folks every day that Detroit is packed with creative minds.

Apr. 26 2010 03:51 PM
Denise

The Community Health and Social Services (CHASS) Center. CHASS is a community health center provides quality, affordable health care to thousands each year. It is not a free clinic, but provides services based on ability to pay. The advantage - CHASS keeps people coming in for preventive care and reduces the number of inappropriate emergency room visits. Multiple generations of families come to the clinic to receive care and the waiting room is more of a community center, than a doctor's office. CHASS celebrates it 40th anniversary this year. Quite an accomplishment. As a disclaimer, CHASS is also my employer but a great place to work knowing that we've made a difference.

Apr. 26 2010 02:34 PM

I love the fact that it's so escapable by expressway once the Wing's game is over -- provided there are no construction detours. Then it kind of sucks.

Right suburbia?

Apr. 26 2010 01:42 PM
dave from detroit/ferndale

Detroit is a city filled with creative, friendly people. I love the people, the art and music, the gardens, kayaking on the river and lake st. clair. Windsor and Essex county are right here too.

I also love that Detroit has its own unique history, and does not look like other cities, and does not feel like other cities. i love the classic architecture, the ruins of the awesome past and the wide open spaces. people have freedom here that can't be found in other places.

Apr. 26 2010 01:03 PM
John from Detroit

The Boll Family YMCA; the Dequinder Cut; the Milner Hotel Lunch Counter

Apr. 26 2010 12:25 PM
kb from ferndale

The best thing about Detroit is the life altering experience of being a Detroit Derby Girl, through which you become immersed in the city and what it means to make a change. I've spent five years of my life devoted to the league because the impact on women in and around our city, as a direct result of the org (DDG), is palpable and an integral part to shaping the epistemology of our city.

Apr. 26 2010 12:25 PM
Michael Peacock from Lincoln Park MI 48146

Good:
Open mic jazz night at Bert's Marketplace. The SBH Trio (Piano, bass, and drums) plays the backdrop while people sing and/or join in on their instruments. This is the most incredible showcase of the talent in the city. It is located in the heart of Eastern Market (sort of like Detroit's version of Pike Place Market in Seattle), which is a fantastic shopping experience for fresh produce and the like.

John King Books is a gigantic warehouse of meticulously organized books on any subject imaginable. The staff is overwhelmingly knowledgeable and can help you find whatever it is that you could want.

Detroit Artists Market consistently displays terrific art and frequently has scholarship exhibitions for art students in the area.

The Belle Isle Conservatory (est. 1845) is an amazing and free place to roam and explore generations of plant growth. One of the most awe-inspiring places I've ever been.

The Detroit Institute of Arts contains a fine collection of art. I would rate it on par with the caliber of the collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

Bad:
You have to know your way around Detroit to find the best spots. There are pockets of the city that are now clearly marked (e.g., Cultural Center, Greektown, Mexicantown, etc.), but parking can sometimes be insane to find.

Ugly:
Obviously the crime is an issue. A friend of mine had his car stolen from in front of his house twice in a several month period. I witnessed a shooting once very late at night. My partner was carjacked in the city. However, in walking around the downtown, Midtown, or Mexicantown areas (which have their nasty, decrepit pockets, but high police presence), I've never felt unsafe.

The public transit system is shaky, especially if you need to go to inner ring suburbs or the major airport. I've ridden the bus in other cities where I've lived (e.g., Fairbanks, Seattle, Minneapolis) and had no problems getting around. Where I live now (about 2 miles south of Detroit) it would take me over 2 hours to get to the university where I received my undergrad, but is only a 25 minute drive from my house. I absolutely hate driving, but there really is no easier way to get anywhere in the metro area.

The condition of the homes in the city can be saddening. I often wonder how people live in the squalor they do. Nevertheless, there are some gorgeous properties (in the Indian Village historic neighborhood) with 5+ bedrooms that you can pick up from about $180,000, which is insanely cheap!

The disparity of the physical conditions and racial segregation within and outside the city can be dumbfounding. Bloomfield Hills (ranked #27 in the highest-income cities in the U.S.) is a half-hour drive from the city. Grosse Poine Township and Grosse Pointe Shores (ranked 76 and 78 in high-incomes, respectively) are less than 10 miles from downtown Detroit. It's really quite sickening.

Apr. 26 2010 11:38 AM
Terri from Grand Rapids!

I love strong network of committed people in Detroit. I did a year of AmeriCorps service in Detroit through City Year, and I was amazed by all the people doing great work in the city. Keep it up!

Apr. 26 2010 11:32 AM
Jane from Detroit

My husband and I went to hear the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Saturday night; the program culminated in a performance of Mozart's Requiem that received a standing ovation. Afterward, we went to local restaurant Traffic Jam & Snug for really spectacular desserts (blueberry Grand Marnier bread and butter pudding). It was a pretty awesome evening.

Apr. 26 2010 10:41 AM
Tom from New Hampshire

The honesty of the people. Arriving in Detroit for the first time on a business trip at the airport a few years ago, I approached a very friendly person at the Information/Welcome Desk. I inquired as to whether there was a public transportation option to downtown. She replied, with a smile, "Do you think this is one of those cities where we know what we're doing? It would be great if there was a train, but, unfortunately, your best option is to rent a car. That would be half the price of a taxi. Enjoy your visit!"

Apr. 26 2010 10:21 AM
Jeff from Detroit, MI

First off, his name is Joe Louis. L-O-U-I-S. Second, the Joe Louis Fist is a vulgar obscenity. Not because of the supposed black power implications, but because of what it says about Detroit's relationship with one of the city's most storied sons.

If Detroit loved Joe Louis as much as we like to claim, he wouldn't have spent the last half of his life broke and addicted to street drugs to deal with his chronic pain, he wouldn't have had to risk his health fighting years after his prime, he wouldn't have had to accept charity from gangsters like Frank Lucas. Maybe if we had actually given a damn about Joe Louis, his funeral wouldn't have had to be underwritten by Max Schmeling. Once Joe Louis' mighty punch was past its prime, Detroit was happy to discard Joe Louis. Fitting that our civic monument to Louis reduces him to only his punching ability. That's all we cared about.

One thing I don't like about Detroit is the self-satisfied haze the false nostalgia that prevents us from dealing with the serious problems that continue to hold us back. What the hell, the brisket at Slows is tasty. Yay Detroit, now get me back to Farmington as fast as possible. Right?

Apr. 26 2010 09:59 AM
Jim from Detroit

I like that Detroit is so empty I never have to deal with a certain type of people who live in the suburbs (or other big cities) unless there is a baseball game or something.

I like seeing pheasants and foxes.

I like that trendy Europeans vacation here and yet there are people who grew up 20 miles from downtown who've never been there.

I like that there are no chain grocery stores or big box stores and that generally the homogenizing corporate forces that have ruined the rest of America have been too scared of the city of Detroit to ruin it.

I like my neighborhood and my neighbors.

There is a lot I don't like about Detroit, but there's enough I like about the city to keep me here.

Apr. 26 2010 09:34 AM
Lisabeth Hock from Detroit/ Pleasant Ridge

What is there to love about Detroit?

I'm biased but would definitely say the German program at Wayne State University and our 50+-year-old Junior Year in Munich Program. We give students a home at our big university, we help them to combine their love of language with their professional goals, and we send students abroad for a year--usually with scholarships--many of whom haven't been outside of Michigan before that. The best way to fix things at home is to get a sense of what people are up to in the rest of the world.

The DIA: the art (see: Kiki Smith's "Lot's Wife"), the Friday night music, the exhibits (check out: Europe through African Eyes), the film series. A year membership is the one of the two best entertainment deals in town--the other one is a zoo membership.

The music--live music all over the place, all sorts of genres and venues. Some of my favorite performers/groups: Audra Kubat, Blanche, Thornetta Davis. My favorite DJ: Ann Delisi on WDET.

The Woodward Buses--believe it or not, there is public transportation here that usually works. And the Rosa Parks transportation center downtown is beautiful.

The Joe Lewis Fist. It is so wonderfully in your face, it is tough, and it commemorates a moving moment in history. Very Detroit.

Avalon Bakery. Their bread beats Zingermann's hands down and the owners are involved in the community.

Arab grocery stores.

Noel Night.

Detroit has an international border and is in a state surrounded by four truly great lakes. That beats being landlocked in Kansas any day. It also has a beautiful airport terminal with direct flights to lots of other places. Again: The best way to fix things at home is to get a sense of what people are up to in the rest of the world.

Apr. 26 2010 09:18 AM
Karl from New York, New York

Grew up in Farmington Hills, MI, now live in NYC, but miss Detroit. Saw my first concert at the State Theater, went to the Nintendo World Championships at Cobo Center, Bell Isle Aquarium, the Detroit Grand Prix, Devil's Night, and the Joe Louis fist.

Apr. 26 2010 09:09 AM
Jennifer from Sterling Heights, MI

Detroit Derby Girls and concerts at The Shelter

Apr. 26 2010 08:33 AM
Woodward's Friend from Detroit, MI

I love the city's $400,000,000 structural budget deficit, 50% illiteracy rate, and 30% unemployment.

I love Detroit enough to say we need to stop pumping sunshine, and get serious about fixing the real problems that hold us back. Then again, that attitude probably doesn't move tote bags.

Apr. 25 2010 02:41 PM
Judi from Eastpointe

The DETROIT DERBY GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As much as Detroit is Hockeytown (and I love my Wings too) the most fun sport to watch or be involved in is roller derby, and the Detroit
Derby Girls put on a fantastic Saturday night of entertainment!

Apr. 25 2010 08:12 AM
Lisa from Westland, MI

Mudgie's in Corktown. Honest John's & Cass Cafe. Eastern Market. Campus Martius. The Heidelberg Project. John King Used Books. The Michigan Theater parking structure. Boston Edison. I could go on all day.

Apr. 24 2010 09:34 PM
Bee from Dearborn, MI

Detroit Derby Girls!!!

Apr. 24 2010 04:36 PM
Tony from Detroit, MI

There's really so much to love about Detroitr that keeps its natives running back whenever they leave.

There's the dee-li-cious Faygo Pop (who doesn't love a bottle of Redpop or Rock & Eye!?) and the tasty Better Made Chips (you can't find those awesome rainbow chips anywhere else on this planet). Not ot mention Detroit has hte best pizza in the world with Buddy's & Loui's. Then there's the Coney Islands all over town as a more unique alternative to the clique fast food restaurants you find everywhere else. Most importantly I persinally appreciate the fact that we have conveniece stores on every corner. In many cities you have to drive for miles to find the nearest one where as all of ours are in walking distance.

Apr. 24 2010 08:01 AM
Sue Steinhauer from Detroit

Quite simply, I am a middle aged white lady. I grew up in Detroit and am still a home owner and resident. The people in Detroit are amazing. Everyone (including the seriously down and out) have great stories to tell.

I live in a fantastic neighborhood (EEV) but plan on moving to a neighborhood that is challenged. A close dear friend died and left us a 101 year old home. It needs a little TLC and can't wait to move there.

We have been involved in many non profit efforts to restore the city. In fact, I am a founding member of a Detroit based historical org.

Warts, pimples and all that, Detroit and Detroiters are an amazing bunch of folk.

Apr. 24 2010 07:20 AM
Christine from Warren,MI

I Love the city's resilience, whatever blow the city is dealt it picks itself up and keeps moving.

I Love Detroit's complex history and that its a living breathing version of a history or Social Studies text book.

I adore Belle Isle and all the picnics my daughter and I enjoy there on lazy summer weekends. We also love Eastern Market, DIA, the History Museum, African American museum, the Riverwalk & Dequinder cut, eating a good coney dog while drinking some Vernors or Faygo pops, Ice skating at Campus Martius, the fireworks, watching the ships go up and down the river....I could go on and on I have too many loves to name and we never seem to run out of things to "discover"

I will end this by saying I also love all the unsung heroes who strive everyday to make their neighborhoods and the city better. Check out Focus hope,Alternatives for girls, COTS, Georgia Street garden, Friends of Fletcher Field, Friends of Belle Isle, if you seek it you will find there are good things and good people everywhere

Apr. 23 2010 10:45 PM
Karen from Ann Arbor

What I like about Detroit:

substance over style

pretentiousness doesn't play here - you will get smacked down

the understanding and valuing of hard work and a strong work ethic

our proximity to and understanding relationship with our Canadian neighbors (even though tighter border rules have crimped things - BRING BACK OUR UNITED FREEDOM FESTIVAL along with River Days!)

history, history, history and the people's interest therein

the classic architecture, the rivers and lakes, the sports teams, the historical and cultural institutions and arts and entertainment festivals (sadly under financial stress)

the mosh pit of ethnicity

the interest in and pursuit of better processes, products, and ideas instead of just the bottom line ==> the realization that money isn't everything and having it doesn't mean you're a better person than anyone else

"One foot in industry and one foot in the soil" ~ Henry Ford

Apr. 23 2010 09:50 PM
James Voikos from Port Huron

Its the people. Friendly place to visit, around the state. No atitude where ever you visit.

Just good working class people who know, and care how the other guy is doing.

Apr. 23 2010 08:13 PM
James Polk from Detroit, MI

www.georgiastreetcc.com
www.georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com

These people are what I like about Detroit!!

Detroit's Diplomat

Apr. 23 2010 06:28 PM
Karen Davis from Detroit

I came to Detroit from Cincinnati in the 1960s for college, and have never looked back! While I might, given a greatly increased income, consider moving to Arizona or San Francisco, Brooklyn or Paris, Jacmel (Haiti) or Buenos Aires, I love this city and its people, its trees, its old houses & farmer's market, its young artists and urban farmers, its jazz and hip-hop, its great ethnic mix and lively weekend events, its river and Belle Isle, its low costs, and the ease with which groups enfold newcomers. Viv Detroit!

Apr. 23 2010 03:22 PM
Leah from Brooklyn

I grew up in metro Detroit and now live in New York. Here's a rundown of what I miss most: Vernors pop, Coney Islands, Motown music playing everywhere, the Ambassador Bridge, Greektown, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, Woodward Avenue, the Eastern Market, Hamtramck paczki, and my family.

Apr. 23 2010 12:12 PM