'Kick Ass' Creator on Watching his Characters on the Big Screen

Friday, April 16, 2010

We talk with John Romita, Jr., co-creator of the "Kick-Ass" comic book series, and regular illustrator on "Daredevil," "Iron Man," "Wolverine," and "Spider Man." Romita tells us how it feels to see his characters make the transition from print to screen; what it was like producing "Kick-Ass" and directing its animated flashback scene; and why fans seem to identify so strongly with the self-made superheroes Hit-Girl, Red Mist, Big Daddy, and, of course, Kick-Ass.

And we want to know, If you could be any super hero, who would it be?

John Romita, Jr.

Kristen Meinzer

EvelynC from WA state

My super-heroine personna would have the ability to restrict titles like "Kick-Ass" from ever getting off the drawing board. If it's such a great movie, let them come up with a title that doesn't include language some (not limited to aging baby boomers like moi) don't want to routinely hear/read or to hear their 5 y.o. grandkids sounding out from billboards and print ads.

Apr. 17 2010 01:58 PM
Rachel Melat from Bristol, RI

I don't know if I would want to be this superhero, but I think it would be funny if there was a superhero called "pity-man" who had the super power of being so phenomenally self-absorbed and despondent that just being in pity-man's presence would cause others to instantly drop what they are doing in order to console and coddle him...

Apr. 17 2010 10:40 AM
Jenny from Miami, FL

I was so glad to hear David Alan Grier and others on your show say that their superpower of choice would be invisibility. Some time ago, I remember hearing a discussion on the radio (I think it was on NPR) during which the question was asked, "If you had the choice, would you prefer to be able to disappear, or to fly?" According to the panelists, your answer says a lot about you. It was an intriguing conversation until it became apparent that the flyers were getting a lot more respect than the disappearers. People who would prefer to fly, the panelists agreed, are confident, strong, adventurous. People who would prefer to be invisible, on the other hand, are basically dishonest. These are the people who'd sneak into movie theaters so that they wouldn't have to pay the admission, and who'd get their kicks by listening in on other people's private conversations. As someone who would prefer to be invisible, but who doesn't consider herself to be dishonest, I was a bit dismayed by these generalizations. I think it takes a lot less courage to fly than it does to hear what people are saying about you when they don't know you're in the room.

Apr. 16 2010 02:24 PM
Cynthia from Detroit

I would be the Incredible Sleeping Woman with the power to sleep through hot flashes, corporate deadlines, income taxes, whiny teenagers, crabby parents, cats who want out, grocery shopping and long commutes to wake up refreshed and looking ten years younger. I don't know if this power would improve humanity, but it sure would make my life a whole lot easier. My motto would be: Making the World a Better Place One Woman at a Time.

Apr. 16 2010 10:30 AM
BadExampleMan from Hawaii

I'd like to be Gay Abortion Man, with the power to make wingnut and teabagger heads explode.

Apr. 16 2010 09:08 AM
Ellis from Harlem, New York

Mister Terrific

Skills, powers and equipment:
* Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes"; picking up complicated skills quickly and retaining them, such as performing emergency surgery on teammate Alan Scott after reading about the procedure in a medical text book and subsequently becoming Dr. Mid-Nite's assistant. As Holt himself put it, "everyone has a talent... Mine is learning."[20][21]
* Holt has described himself as the third smartest man on Earth.[7]

Apr. 16 2010 09:07 AM
Ricky from NY

John Romita Jr. is awesome. It's too bad the co-creator Mark Millar is a racist (I've thrown out three different books he's written and I won't be giving him another penny.) google racist, mark millar and see for yourself.

Congratulations John!

Apr. 16 2010 08:55 AM
Nick Bacon from Manhattan

My Superhero persona would be:

Pedantic Man

Flying around, correcting bad grammar on signs and notices.

Apr. 16 2010 08:44 AM
Jonathan from NJ

In response to your Super Hero question and at the danger of eliciting a bunch of "ughs and yuchs", I'd like to be Green Hedgefund Man, the character who invests huge sums in green, world and climate improving projects that, in the process, allows me to pay off my kids' college debts, have a cool apartment in New York City, a home in Paris and unimagineable sums of money that does me, my family and my community so much good.

Apr. 16 2010 07:26 AM
george from Columbus, Ohio

I'd be Treble Man. Every time a car went down the street with the bass rattling nearby windows, I'd cause the quarter panels and bumpers to fall off.

Apr. 16 2010 07:13 AM

Without a doubt, I would be The Shadow. All heroes fall into three motivations: Order, Justice, or Redemption. And the Shadow is all about redemption.
We could use more of that, really.

Apr. 15 2010 10:18 PM
Aramis from West Palm Beach, FL

Ice powers, duh! :)

Telekenesis would be cool, too if Ice powers aren't available.

Apr. 15 2010 03:08 PM
librariantom from wpb, florida

I've always wanted to be Belt & Gasket Man, so I can melt the belts and gaskets of cars that cut me off in traffic.

Apr. 15 2010 02:35 PM
Terry from Florida

I'd like the power to make it rain Benjamins.

Apr. 15 2010 02:20 PM