Gun Owners React to Senate's New Proposals

Thursday, April 11, 2013

gun shop store (Curtis Gregory Perry/flickr)

Today Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Democrat from Nevada, will hold the first procedural vote on major gun control legislation since 1993. Compromise seems to be in the air, as Senators Pat Toomey (R-PA) and Joe Manchin (D-WV), indicated in a joint press conference yesterday.

"I’m a gun owner, and the rights that are enshrined in the second amendment are very, very important to me personally, as I know they are to so many people across Pennsylvania," Senator Toomey said. "My record shows this, but I gotta tell you candidly, I don’t consider criminal background checks to be gun control. I think it’s just common sense."

Senator Manchin echoed these sentiments. Gun owners in West Virginia, he said, "understand this is common sense. This is gun sense. We’re not infringing on your rights as an individual citizen. But, basically, if you’re going to go to a gun show you should be subjected the same [background checks] as if you went to the gun store."

Both Toomey and Manchin have earned an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association, but for Steve Onufrey, a Pennsylvania gun owner and member of the Concerned Gun Owners of Bucks County, that "A" isn't enough to earn his trust on Toomey's proposals.

Steve Onufrey

Jillian Weinberger

Bill from Dallas, TX

Sounds like you are a commercial for the gun industry.

Apr. 11 2013 12:26 PM
Courtney Flowers from Orlando, FL

Even if we were to implement programs or require gun owners and users to take gun education courses or something of the sort, that would probably not make a difference in or impact on gun violence incidences. Psychopathic or mentally ill individuals are going to get a hold of these guns and weapons to kill others. We have to regulate the sale of these weapons so that less guns will get into the hands of dangerous individuals. Education will not change the minds of mentally ill people.

Apr. 11 2013 12:15 PM
Ted from Seattle, WA

Seattle,

My fist gun story:

Even New Jersey's strict 1984 guns laws could not keep and air rifle out of my fourteen year old hands. At the time, an air rifle was, and probably still is, considered a firearm in New Jersey. I begged my parents to buy a gun for me but they never did. So I solved the problem myself and found someone who would sell one to me. My parents immediately found out and insisted that I get rid of it. But it was too late for that. I now had a gun and the balance of power within the household had clearly shifted. They soon realized that I was smart enough to handle it responsibly and their worries subsided. After that, the arms race began and continues to this day. I love guns. I derive happiness from them. Some are ingeniously designed, others less so. Guns have been instrumental in shaping my way of thinking as an engineer and have taught me a great deal about manufacturing technology. I can't have enough guns.

The facts about guns are important.

Guns are not designed to kill things. As an engineer who actually designs guns, I can promise you that killing is in no way a part of the problem statement one establishes before designing a gun. In truth, it is some, not all, projectiles that are designed to kill. Projectiles designed for target shooting fly accurately and efficiently downrange in order to hit an inanimate target and generally have have poor terminal ballistic performance. In other words, they are ineffective at transferring lethal levels of their kinetic energy to a living target such as a mammal. While it is true that under the right circumstances, target projectiles can be lethal, projectiles specifically designed to efficiently transfer their kinetic energy to a living target are far better at killing. Such is the case with bullets designed for hunting big game and for personal defense. When hunting and defense bullets hit living tissue, they expand which aids in the transfer of energy to said tissue.

Why should people buy guns today? To derive happiness from them.

Why do people need guns, especially assault weapons? Ultimately to defend freedom.

Freedom can only be taken by force, usually at the point of someone else's gun. There is no other way to take it. Defending it requires the use of equal, but preferably greater force.

Ted

Apr. 11 2013 12:05 PM
Domi Schutz from Austin, TX

At my first encounter with a gun, actually two, they were pointed at me and I am lucky to be telling you this story today.
I don't think anyone who has ever seen a gun from that angle "likes" guns. They are tools for killing, if you like killing then you like guns. I truly believe the ONLY reason why I survived that incident is because I did NOT have a gun on me. Had I tried to "defend myself" with a gun as people say here they would, I would be dead today. If nothing else, they would have killed me to take my gun away - that's how bad guys get guns! Later I learned I had been approached by drug warlords who control the tunnel I, naive, had attempted to cross.

Apr. 11 2013 11:47 AM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

I wonder how many people who carry guns think of themselves as potential heroes; they are the good guy who is going to save the day, when they gun down the bad guy. The problem is, I bet a lot of the bad guys think of themselves as good guys too.

Apr. 11 2013 11:32 AM
maria i. from norman, oklahoma

oh c'mon...expletive expletive expletive!!! stop saying "law abiding citizen" and protecting their rights. wasn't adam lanza a law abiding citizen before newtown? apparently, he had no "known" criminal record. unfortunately, even law abiding citizens have personal problems and can snap. it's even become a catch phrase in popular culture, after a so-called law abiding good american shoots his neighbor, his pregnant wife, etc..."he was a quiet good church going family man." and "we never saw this coming." so to all the pro-assault weapon 2,000 round clip freedom lovers, come up with a new catch phrase to sell your unreasonable logic. thank you.

signed,

a law abiding citizen

Apr. 11 2013 11:01 AM
corey from oklahoma

A big problem us how disconnected so many people are from each other. Gun advocate groups blame everything buy guns for violence. If I hear one more unsupported arguments about first person shooter games and my generation and younger I may shout. I am in my early 30s one of the first groups to grow up with home game systems, cable tv and unlimited internet access. I play violent games and have no more issue separating real life from a fantasy world than people that grew up with western movies, dirty harry, and death wish. Tons of guns on the streets and I could have an assult rifle by this afternoon with no background check and no education on the gun.

Apr. 11 2013 10:24 AM
listener

If there is such a ground swell of support for this
common sense law then why not change the
the Second Admendment of the Bill of Rights
the proper way as the US Constitution permits?

Apr. 11 2013 09:45 AM
Zoe from New York City

I am a part of one of these so-called generations that are "destroying the fabric of society" and I still am in full support of the Second Amendment. I do not understand how guns in schools helps progress American society and I do not believe that the shifting American paradigm has any fault with it. As time goes on, society and culture change. The fact of the matter is that the technology of weapons has advanced and an Amendment that was ratified over 200 years ago needs to be re-evaluated to better protect and serve the American people. No one wants to take the guns away, we just want to make sure they do not get in the wrong hands, because as said on the program, they are meant to kill things.

Apr. 11 2013 09:26 AM
art525 from park Slope

1)This guy is not in the gun slaes busiuness he is in the self protection business. 2)Tell us about your first gun experience. 30 A little while back Mr Hockenberry proclaimed his gun ownership. OK that's all I need to hear. Bye bye.

Apr. 11 2013 09:22 AM