How the American Invasion Shaped Iraq

Monday, March 11, 2013

President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama greet troops following remarks on the end of America’s war in Iraq, at Fort Bragg, N.C. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

On the 10 year anniversary of the American invasion of Iraq, the war that defined the start of the 21st century continues to exceed resolve for many Americans.

It was sparked by an attack in our country’s own backyard, but the war was quickly moved thousands of miles away.

Well over 1 million U.S. citizens served over the course of the decade-long conflict, where progress was often clouded by uncertainty and devastation. Ultimately, victory was declared, but for many, the ramifications of the Iraq War are still struggling to be understood, even after our troops have returned home.

Alon Ben-Meir is an Iraqi-American and a professor of Middle Eastern Studies and conflict resolution at the NYU Center for Global Affairs.

Alon Ben-Meir

Ellen Frankman and Megan Quellhorst

Jim Lommasson from Portland

I've been working with Iraqi refugees who have come to the U.S.
Here is a link to there stories in a collaborative project call: What We Carried: Fragments from the Cradle of Civilization. The link is from the Portland Oregon version. I'm just finishing up a Boston version that will go on display next week at the Arsenal Center in Boston.

Here is a link: http://whatwecarried.blogspot.com/

Mar. 11 2013 08:23 PM
Tim McCorry from The Jersey Shore

The Iraq War, to me, represents the low point in the history of US foreign policy. We descended from the nation that helped to end WWII to the nation that started a totally unprovoked war that consumed hundreds of thousands of lives.

Mar. 11 2013 03:25 PM
Fred from Portland, OR

I retired from the US Navy in August of 2003, but by March of 2003 I'd had my retirement approved, accepted into a university, and when some of the officers found out that I'd planned to leave the Navy, they resorted to threats to try and keep me in. Though every time I asked the question "Why is 20 years of service not enough?" it stopped them cold. That's what I remember about the time of the Iraq war; regardless of how much or how long one served their country, it wasn't enough for some people.

Mar. 11 2013 02:04 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

I have seen Club Security guys in create bar fights when disagreements between patrons could have been resolved with conversation. Some Security guys like to fight.
I bring this up because I feel Americans have in the past navigated with the idea that War is the best option. War has consequences, even if you "win."

Mar. 11 2013 01:34 PM
Galen Brownson from salem, oregon

from the iraq war, i learned that my government cares nothing for me or other humans anywhere on earth; i learned that the dollar is the god in which we trust.

Mar. 11 2013 01:31 PM
Adam from NYC

I thought the program was a very well produced show regarding our ineptitude with IRAQ. My father who was then a practicing physician said he had a patient who was involved with counter insurgency stuff tell him that the US military has no idea what they are doing there. If Brennan was smart he would have kept most of the Sunni beauracrats and paired them with a shia partner. Then he should of said your lives are forever linked because if something happens to your colleague then you are out of a job. This method would have potentially done more for nationbuilding then the all out debathification process in of itself.

Mar. 11 2013 12:49 PM
Lloyd Cata from Miami, Florida

The lady talking about her husband is certainly correct. The VA 'marketing' does not reflect their 'care', ...and the 'proof' is that 22 vets/day are the 'victims' of suicide. These vets find more honor in the grave than continued 'care' from the VA.

My brother is an Agent Orange 'victim'(Vietnam/1969). He has Parkinsons Disease, Cardiac Defibulator, PTSD, and DVT. He never got 'care' from the VA until 2006, when a Miami City worker got him some help. Now he is 100%-service-connected, but he still goes to the end-of-the-line for service at the VA. His defibulator is now faulty(4 years old) and now the VA just tries to 'ignore' it until it kills him.

Wall Streeets get 'benefits', veterans get whatever is left. We know it, and now you do too, ...22/day!

Mar. 11 2013 09:34 AM