The Declining Value of an MBA

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

As more and more individuals pursue professional degrees as a means to a more rewarding career, there are fewer and fewer jobs waiting on the other side of graduation.

And when it comes to MBA programs, changes in technology and in the economy have accompanied a shift in the job landscape that doesn’t necessarily align with the dated design of the degree.

Jay Bhatti, a graduate of the Wharton MBA program and currently an adviser to start-ups in New York, explains how a master's degree in business administration is growing increasingly irrelevant in today's economy.

Jay Bhatti

Ellen Frankman

Lawrence G. Miller from Austin, TX

A great story, but it reminds me that some of the exact same content can be learned through taking classes (credit or non-credit) at a community college. The expensive MBA used to be all about the networking, but the numbers game does not work out for way too many who have borrowed to get an over=priced degree.

Jan. 24 2013 02:34 PM
Helen from Brooklyn, NY

I earned a B.F.A. in illustration from SCAD. I don't regret my choice (though I know others that do) but I am earning my living with Graphic Design, not illustration. I think there's a big disconnect between the amount my parents and I paid for the education and how much I can be expected to make, ever, even in Graphic Design. Should we have had to pay as much as one does for a medical or law degree?

Illustration is no longer the career that it was, and is now more akin to getting a degree in acting than going to a trade school. A few will be superstars, but most will drop off or always struggle. And still every year thousands of students continue to get this degree from SCAD and other art schools.

It was also disheartening to see how determinedly my school hangs on to poorly performing students. It's all in the name of sucking more cash from their parents or the loan companies.

Jan. 22 2013 04:12 PM
DickeyFuller from DC

Joe -- so surprised to hear you say that. I much prefer John alone than John + either of his co-hosts.

Maybe you should get satellite radio. That way you can listen to back-to-back Car Talk reruns instead of John's show.

~

Jan. 22 2013 01:20 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

MBA is still a great place for lower level criminals to get ideas and improve their risk of getting caught and going to jail.

Sorry, I'm still a little riled up about the previous Takeaway segment about how nobody went to jail during the sub prime mortgage fiasco.

I know there are good people who went for the MBA with good intentions...(what were you thinking?)

Jan. 22 2013 12:55 PM
Luke Freeman

I'm just finishing a masters in Organizational Dynamics at the University of Oklahoma, and am so glad I didn't go the MBA route. My degree is technically in the industrial psychology field, but is very focused on developing practitioners who understand managing the human element of business. I'm in small classes working with real projects from local businesses. Worth every penny.

Jan. 22 2013 11:03 AM
Joe H

I cannot stand the new format, getting rid of Celeste and John H's new forced jocularity is so annoying and unauthentic...I would rather hear top forty that's how disguested I am by this format! Thankfully the NY Metro area does offer Diane Rehm as an alternative and often there is an interesting guest on that show...I hate being denied Fresh Air when I drive home (3-4 pm) and being forced to listen to the Takeaway if I want NPR, it is such a smarmy show unworthy of the network.

Jan. 22 2013 10:12 AM