2013: What's in a Number?

Friday, January 04, 2013

Numbers Numbers (kvanhorn/flickr/CC-BY-2.0)

The new year -- 2013 -- marks the first time since 1987 that a numerical year contains four unique digits: no number repeats. Takeaway host John Hockenberry discusses the significance for a numbers man like himself.

Hana from Great Barrington, MA

Hey! Love catching when you're on, John. Heard your bit tonight about 1987 being a bad year and all, but at least one good thing happened then... I was born! Here's to another great cycle of 26 years, repeat numbers or not. And to those who comment, even when you say they probably won't. Be well!

Jan. 05 2013 01:03 AM
Jane Nighbert from South Florida

I really liked the segment on years without repeat numbers, like 2013. You also asked if anyone was interested in math oddities, etc. Not only is the answer 'yes', but also I believe that more coverage will lead to greater interest and help improve the problem of 'innumeracy' in the US. That's a term that is the title of a book of years ago which discusses this issue as analogous to 'illiteracy'. I.e., such coverage is important as well as fun; keep it coming!

It could even lead to a program just about math and popularize many issues that the public doesn't understand or know how to evaluate because of lack of knowledge on how to use math, what statistics mean, how to analyze numerical information, etc. Thanks again.

Jan. 04 2013 11:49 PM
Molly from SoFLa

I am just so happy to hear that there is another "number person" out there! I wasn't aware of all the significant numbers you mentioned, but, although I have a PhD in language, I am a closet number person, seeing patterns and other "neat" things. Loved this segment and happened to hear it twice today -- great! and thanks!

Jan. 04 2013 11:41 PM
Matt from Pound Ridge, NY

I was concerned that 2013 was a prime number but after some research my friends and I found that it is divisible by several integers. 671 times 3 works to my satisfaction and I'm grateful. I don't want a year to be a prime number. When is our next prime number year?

Jan. 04 2013 08:05 PM
VH from Oklahoma

Loved this segment. AND I would like to note that 2+0+1=3. That doesn't happen very often either.

Jan. 04 2013 05:03 PM
John Maddocks from Pound Ridge, NY

late comment on 2013:
I noticed that we have no doubles for the next SEVEN years!
If seven is a "lucky" number, perhaps this is a good omen for an era of good fortune???
from Optimistic Dr. John

Jan. 04 2013 03:56 PM
Pat cassidy from Orleans MA

Thoroughly enjoyed the segment on numbers. I am not a number person but john's enthusiastic, ironic and at times very funny presentation got my attention so I listened and learned a lot! Also enjoyed the segment on the VAWA. As former battered women's advocate I can say with some authority that most of the people in this field are not doing it for the money but rather because they feel passionate about the work. They may be very concerned about the funding but more so because they are concerned about the victims of domestic violence and sexual assaults and their ability to access services.
Great show today all around.

Jan. 04 2013 03:37 PM