September 10, 2001

Monday, September 10, 2012

Eleven years ago today, we lived in a very different world. Do you remember it? Do you know where you were or what you were doing?

The date was Monday, September 10, 2001. With help from our partner the BBC, we’ve compiled some memories of that day — all gleaned from original television broadcasts. It begins with the day's weather reports and ends with the weather forecast for the following day. And everywhere in between, the people of the world are living through the most ordinary and extraordinary of times.

Kristen Meinzer

Mariko from Gabriola Island, BC Canada

I was standing on the corner of University Place and East 9th and had just missed the first plane hitting the first tower. When it became apparent that this ws not an accident I made my way over to the West Village to check on a dear friend and her son. We went to Tortilla Flats for a stiff drink. Normally a jovial place, the bartender said, "I can serve you, but I cannot charge you today." Long live New York City.

Sep. 11 2012 03:39 PM
Ed from Larchmont

I remember the people who had to jump because of the heat. How marvellous that the towers stood long enough for the people below the crash site to get out! And then that the towers didn't topple over as expected, but fell straight down. There were few injuries, though the emergency rooms were all open and ready, only deaths.

Sep. 11 2012 08:02 AM
Christina from New York City

I remember September 10th pretty vividly - I had just been hired in the analyst program at Chase and it was my first job out of college. Our training was taking place in the Loop in Chicago and it was going to be my first taste of corporate life (an expense account for food/groceries, corporate apartment in a high rise). I had packed up my bags that Sunday with my boyfriend (now husband), then went off to work, where that afternoon, my other colleagues and I were going to drive from Milwaukee to downtown Chicago to our respective corporate apartments.

The next day was an early day, since we had to be at the Chase building around 7:30 and I remember being overwhelmed by the public transit (since I had never taken it before). And then as soon as we settled into our classrooms, building security hustled us quickly via emergency stairwell out of the building and without a word told us all that we had to go back to our homes. My colleagues and I were huddled up in our respective apartments trying to figure out what happened, and I was frantically trying to contact my parents who happened to be in NYC to visit our family there.

Sep. 10 2012 04:05 PM
Susu Bagert from Brooklyn, NY

On September 10, 2001, I flew on a Delta flight from ATL to LGA. The flight path was over the west side of Manhattan, and we flew directly over the WTC. I was in a window seat, and I remember looking down at the twin towers as we flew over them, struck again by how huge they were, and how they weren't even that far below the plane.

Sep. 10 2012 03:25 PM
rose-ellen from jackson heights

september 10,2001. I remember watching the 6:30 news with peter jennings on abc. I was barely paying attention till the very end of the program when peter jennings ended the show with the words- I paraphrase- the pentagon[or was it some other branch of government-i don't remember] is reporting that osama bin laden has said that an attack on the united states is "imminent" .I definitely heard peter jennings say -an attack on the US is imminent-quoting bin laden.He then ended the program with the words= that's the news for today -good night. I recall perking up and thinking -see how the media is feedimg us this anti -arab progaganda-ending the program with those fearful words. The next day when the planes hit -I immediately remembered the words of peter jennings of that show and I thought-wow they were right- and I expectd peter jennings to refer to that report he stated on the sept. 10 program. He never mentioned it. Neither did anyone on abc or any other station.Like he never said it.When I told my husband and he eventully tried to find that sept. 10th program of the nightly news on the abc news internet archives-he found it but that last sentence that nest to last sentence peter jennings made on that 6:30 pm program had been deleted!.Like it never happened-like he never said it. Go check it out yourselves!

Sep. 10 2012 02:32 PM
Janice from Albany, Oregon

My oldest child was preparing to leave home for college. September 10 was her last day at home. I fought back tears as she packed her clothes and favorite things from her room. I prepared her favorite dinner and we had a last meal as a family at home. We did a little singing skit for her, singing "I Believe I Can Fly" on her behalf.

The next day, September 11, she & I drove off at dawn to go to her college, about 600 miles away. We listened to the news on the radio all day long. We never had the visual impact of watching the story unfold... instead we HEARD it. I believe this has been fortunate for me. I have observed that the people who watched the fires, the people leaping to their deaths, the towers crashing down, were much more effected than me.

Sep. 10 2012 02:07 PM
Suzanne from Massachusetts

Hitting the highway from Mass. to Northern NJ early that afternoon to visit my elderly Dad, and primarily, to visit my dying mother in the hospital. We didn't plan on going to the hospital till Tuesday morning (since visiting hours were over)…Vivid memories of the TV on mute in my Mom's room and having an intense surreal feeling like I had never experienced before. She was battling dementia/alzheimer's/cancer and thus had no idea of what had happened.

Sep. 10 2012 12:24 PM
Peter from Woonsocket, RI

My memories of 9/11 are rather unique: I don't have any. I was under general anesthesia and went under the knife about ten minutes before the first plane hit. By the time I was out of surgery and had regained consciousness, the second tower had come down and it was all over.

Post-operative medication kept me very woozy and unclear for the following week or two. Perhaps that's the reason that on some fundamental level, I never really *got* 9/11. I had been to the top of the World Trade Center, and had strong memories of it - although a still stronger memory was of standing at the *base* of a tower, looking up, and feeling as if it were about to topple down on me.

But the wild surge of passion that seized America after 9/11 was something I never understood on an emotional level. And as the years have passed, I've become more and more alienated from what our country has become. When they put the anesthesia mask on my face, I was a citizen of a nation that would never permit torture under its laws; there had been torture, yes, but it was regarded as shameful, immoral, and unquestionably against the rule of law.

But the United States I woke up to was a nation in which many citizens and the leaders of both parties EMBRACED torture, albeit under any other name. Their lawyers wrote incredible, utterly mad justifications for violating every human standard of decency, everything that our nation supposedly stood for. And yet the public doesn't seem to care.

I guess, for me, 9/11 was the day that America died.

Sep. 10 2012 12:06 PM
carl from queens

regarding 9/11... after my sister called to say a plane crashed into the w.t.c, as i put the tv on, i asked a ukrainian refugee neighborhood house painter named ''igor'' to stop painting [my bedroom], telling him a plane hit the w.t.c.... he answers without blinking a eye, ''mybe terrorists''?... my answer [assuming it's a small plane]is, probably a pilot on drugs... had we had a pres. igor [ who never went to high school,let alone, yale], there is an excellent chance the second tower would still be standing, and the pentagon would have had 5 sides on 9/12, along with the countless lives that still would be flourishing today...

Sep. 10 2012 10:48 AM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N.Y.

What I remember most about September 10, 2001 and what makes it such a sad memory is: I remember nothing at all...

I'm sure it was just a day in the life, and that I was sorting Funk records, pricing vintage paperbacks, and dusting old toys from the sixties for my Collectibles store, but because nothing stood out on that day, there is nothing to remember and I like that memory

Sep. 10 2012 09:57 AM
Meaghan Tuohey-Kay from New Jersey

September 10, 2001 was my daugher's first birthday. We had her party the day before (Sunday). I had planned to take the day off and go to the park with her, but when we woke the day was a bit cloudy so I decided to go to work anyway. Later we had dinner at my parents house in Fort Lee, where we could see the skyline of NYC. Of course we barely looked at it that night, not realizing it would never be the same. My daughter turns 12 today and her birthday is forever mixed with that day.

Sep. 10 2012 09:51 AM