Who Wants To Live Forever?

Friday, August 31, 2012

In the 1900s the average life expectancy in the western world was 47 years old. Today it's nearly 80 years old, and in the future, we're set to live even longer.

David Ewing Duncan is a science journalist and the author of "When I’m 164." He asked over 30,000 people: "how long do you want to live?

There were three options:
A) 80 years, the current average western life span.
B) 120 years, close to the maximum anyone has lived, and
C) 150 years.

Sixty percent of those surveyed settled for 80, with 30 percent opting for 120.

While it seems we don’t want to live much longer than we do now, advanced aging is looking more and more like a reality. With improved hygiene, nutrition and medical advances, the United Nations predicts that within the next century, it could be pretty normal to live to 100 years old.

Joe Harkins from Jersey City

Speaking as an 80-year-old who is what my primary-care doctor tells me is "high functioning," I am not yet ready to even consider a departure date.

The party has still not yet reached its peak and I am not leaving until the cake has been carved up and served.

I can still run for the bus (and sometimes even catch it). I am now serving my second two-year (unpaid) term as a Committeeman for my urban neighborhood. Our Mayor just invited me to join (also unpaid) the Board of Directors of the local Historic Preservation Commission. I sing two and three nights a week at local jam sessions. I have a sweet and loving wife who is 23 years younger. I own a business that has been building and hosting web sites for the past 19 years - and publishes an average of one-per week for clients all over the world.

So why would I even think of setting an expiration date? My only hope is that the end comes swiftly, with minimal pain, anytime after I am unable to tie my own shoes.

Jul. 18 2013 01:16 PM
Angel from Miami, FL

Live for 150 years? Not if I look like 75 year old for half that time.

Sep. 05 2012 09:22 AM
Bonnie Cleaveland, PhD from Charleston, SC

Platforms are presumably about the specific issues, for example pro-choice or anti-choice. I suggest a different strategy. Let's focus on the PROCESS of deciding on policy. I suggest we use reason, as our founding fathers did, to decide policy. My party of one is called the Reason Party.

Sep. 03 2012 09:13 AM
Marc from NY Metro

Personally I would like to live forever, so long as that life isn't a burden. But if I had to specify a time I would say 144. That way I would not only be able to say that I lived through three centuries 20th, 21st and 22nd but to also see how that century is likely to turn out.

Aug. 31 2012 03:48 PM
Larry Fisher from Brooklyn, N,Y,

I write everyday in the hopes that I will live forever...

Despite the fact that I am unknown, I see my writing as a message in a bottle that one day will be opened.

My fantasy is that one day, my kids will find all my comments that I write on The Takeaway as well as my blogs, and stories. They will read it and learn things about me that they didn't already know and it will live within them, and they will pass on my experiences.

Sadly, that really does mean something for me and keeps me excited and upbeat.

I don't care how old I am when I die. I die when I can't think and write creatively. I am so boring.

Aug. 31 2012 10:05 AM
Ed from Larchmont

As Jesus revealed, man is made immortal, he does live forever. But not forever in this world.

Aug. 31 2012 06:07 AM