Meet the Delegates: Rick Santorum Supporters

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Republican presidential candidate, former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, waits to speak at the Lincoln-Reagan Day Dinner at Bowling Green State University during a campaign stop on March 3, 2012 in Bowling Rick Santorum waits to speak at the Lincoln-Reagan Day Dinner at Bowling Green State University. (Mario Tama/Getty)

Delegates from all over the country have travelled to Tampa, Florida for the Republican National Convention. Those delegates will choose the next Republican nominee for president. The Takeaway has taken some time to talk to delegates from across the country about the GOP convention and what they think about the future of the country.

Toni Jarms and Emily Jarms are mother and daughter delegates from Oregon. They've come to the convention in support of Rick Santorum.

They tell The Takeaway about Rick Santorum and his speech at the Republican National Convention last night. They also voice their support for Todd Akin and the view that pregnancy from rape is "very rare."

Dr. Andrea Price is an OB/GYN with the Women's Center for Integrative Health.

"The type of stress that she is speaking of is stress that occurs under chronic conditions, for example the stress of trying to conceive, like she mentioned. That stress can temporarily alter the function of some of the brain structures that can interrupt the whole process of ovulation, fertility and hormonal levels and such. But this is a chronic ongoing stress." - Dr. Andrea Price

Toni James and Emily Jarms

Ross

As a resident of Oregon, I would like to know what schools in this state Toni Jarms has been allowed to teach in. I can't imagine this individual even being remotely considered as a source of viable information. She should be barred from all grades in all schools, and any school administration that has hired her should be investigated for signs of human intelligence.

Aug. 31 2012 04:24 PM
Schlies from Pomona N.Y.

These are the type of people who are about to tip our country into a generations-long Dark Age. They are SURE of their view of the world, they will NOT let facts, or science, change those beliefs. They cherry pick one fact, out of hundreds, that support their view of the universe and ignore the rest. They want to impose their beliefs on EVERYONE else- sorry,"want" isn't strong enough- they're determined to impose their beliefs on everyone else. They are American taliban. They live a life based on primitive superstition and myth, and are intentionally misinformed. They have no ability to perceive irony, particularly as it applies to them. On the plus side, they have brought me to a point where I no longer regret the fact that I'm going to die someday.

Aug. 31 2012 10:08 AM
Joe from New Jersey

Hopefully the power of satire will dispel this ignorance.

Although I warn women (or men), who have experienced rape, about watching it, this video is a must see for everyone else. It is hard hitting and should be. Sexual violence is brutal in so many ways and should be taken seriously as the public service announcement reminds us at the video's end. This video is absolute comic genius. By depicting a fake rape, which is not congruent with humor, it paradoxically highlights that rape is a violent and heinous act and mocks anyone that implies otherwise. By parodying pharmaceutical ads including quoting clinical studies, it reveals that Congressman Todd Akin's belief that women do not or rarely become pregnant by rape is based on pseudoscience. It is frightening that he is not the only one who wrongly embraces this as scientific fact.

Aug. 31 2012 09:14 AM
Bojana from New York

I don't think I have ever felt more outraged in my whole life than by the idiotic comments made by Toni and Emily Jarms. The stress that they mention has NOTHING to do with the kind of stress a woman experiences during rape. I am from the former Yugoslavia where rape was used as a weapon during the recent war (and was eventually - finally! - recognized as a war crime at the Hague Tribunal)and where, as a result, many women became pregnant, and the trauma they suffered had even greater emotional and social consequences when many of those mothers, tragically, but understandably, were not capable of caring for their babies and abandoned them instead. I can only imagine how profoundly ofeneded these women must feel when hearing such moronic claims.

Aug. 30 2012 04:08 PM
EF Slattery from New York

Totally outrageous. Clearly these women have never heard of Rwanda, and of the births from rape? They're spewing absolute garbage. The banality of evil in the form of utter ignorance.

Aug. 30 2012 03:46 PM
Gretchen from Not in Tampa

Thank you Toni and Emily Jarms: That's one step forward for you, and one giant leap BACKWARD for Womankind.

Aug. 30 2012 03:13 PM
jen

I have never been so angry. After hearing the Jarms speak I wanted to cry. Everything she said was so false. Thankfully they brought on an educated woman to refute the dangerous rhetoric the Jarms are spreading. The Jarms statements rerape a women all over again!

Aug. 30 2012 02:59 PM
a from oregon

I am a nurse sexual assault examiner and I am outraged to hear what the two Oregon delegates just said about pregnancy and rape. it is absolutely wrong and a very dangerous thing to say. I have witnessed pregnancy resulting from rape more than once. It is written into statute that hospitals are required to provide/offer Plan B for a reason. Ugh. Not to mention historical situations, war rapes etc. I don't care what you believe, scientific facts exist.

Aug. 30 2012 01:57 PM
Sally Driver from Portland, OR

I like to think Oregonians in general show more intelligence than this, but ... what can I say. I wonder how many women educated by this woman during her time as a human sexuality counselor (employed by whom?) have discovered - to their dismay - other errors in her information. The important question to so many of these "facts" from the Republicans is this: What is the source of your information?

Aug. 30 2012 01:55 PM
cheapgruntlabor from Pacific NW

to anna from new york--the personal ignorance shown in your attacks on the "ignorance" of your political oponents isappaling...but, I'm afraid, to be expected of tightie-rightie ideologues, eh?

Here's a simple, factual question for you to research--

APPROXIMATELY HOW MANY PREGNANCIES RESULT FROM RAPE EACH YEAR IN THE UNITED STATES?

Aug. 30 2012 01:55 PM
Matthew from Myrtle Beach, SC

I have never been so angry at the radio as I was listening to this report. The notion that not only women, but a human sexuality counselor at that, could be so ignorant of how the female body works...it's appalling. I use ignorant, because that's the nicest term I can come up with. Literally, the kindest I can be is to say that these women are blissfully ignorant of actual hardship and abuse. At worst, they're completely cold-hearted to those who have experienced it.

Aug. 30 2012 12:46 PM
anna from new york

Ah, these "ladies" are of course absolute morons, but who isn't?
Voting for "Hope, unity, change" is equally idiotic. What can we expect from children when their parents didn't have an hour of history in their lives and love, love, love sloganeering?
This country can only collapse.

Aug. 30 2012 11:30 AM
Charles

What duplicitous set-up bit of phony journalism by John Hockenberry and The Takeaway.

First, whil Mitt Romney has certainly shown himself in the past to not be an ideologue on the subject of abortion (which should help him win the Presidency in a national election), he is at least willing to show the pro-life segment of the country some respect. Which is more than we can say for The Takeaway.

The entire debate began with specific words from Rep. Todd Akin, that even Akin did not endorse. So we can leave out Akin, and all of the official Republican Party that repudiated his choice of words.

So then the The Takeaway wades into the medical science of pregnancy. And naturallly, gets a pro-choice doctor to serve as the one and only voice of science. I actually don't have much dispute with the notion that approximately 5% of rapes might result in pregnancy. But notice what the The Takeaway did; it turned the discussion to a kind of one-note hypothetical where we were talking about forcible rape. Leaving aside things like statutory rape, which might involve consensual sex between underage parties.

I don't think it is at all such a stretch to consider seriously the social outrage of teens using abortion services as a kind of contraception; avoiding abortion laws by calling it "rape."

Naturally, the stilted conversation set up by The Takeaway had the effect of instructing the left-wing public radio audience on exactly what would press their buttons. As we see in this comments thread.

Personally, I have some real trouble with the pro-life point of view. I might agree in principle with getting basically incompetent governmnent out of personal decisions and healthcare. But the difference between me and other Republican moderates is the basic respect that I have for earnest pro-life viewpoints. As opposed to the sneering contmept that is seen from the left. There are a lot of pro-life voters; we'll see who gets their votes in the fall.

Aug. 30 2012 11:07 AM
Laura P from Ft Lauderdale, FL

Mrs Jarms and her daughter left me speechless, but then if they support Santorum it shouldn't be much of a surprise. The ignorance from those two was jaw dropping and Mrs Jarms had ZERO knowledge on the subject apart from all the other nonsense she and people like her claim to have.

Aug. 30 2012 10:37 AM
GlenM from Palm Beach County, Florida

The Republicans keep claiming to be the party that wants small government that stays out of the lives of individuals, but their latest platform pushes items such as bans on abortion in the case of rape which is a direct invasion of the rights of a victimized woman. The two ladies interviewed from Oregon are obviously very ignorant of basic biology. The mother claimed to have been a human sexuality counselor, which considering her lack of education, is very troubling. She believes that "educating" the rest of us will bring us into alignment with her position. I don't want to be on the receiving end of her enforced belief system, which likely has a religious basis of some sort.

Aug. 30 2012 10:14 AM
Peg

Toni Jarms and Emily Jarms, mother and daughter delegates from Oregon -
outrageously misinformed! Another example of holding onto a falsehood after it's been debunked. Do they also believe the earth is flat?

Far too many social conservatives disdain science (except when they think it will help them - antibiotics and flu vaccines for example), much to our Nation's disadvantage.

Why should we expect out children to excel scholastically when we have such blatant adult stupidity?

Aug. 30 2012 10:12 AM
Brie Cokos from Miami

Kudos to the Takeaway staff for airing an OB-GYN's comments following the ridiculous and completely inaccurate comments of those two delegates from Oregon. I appreciate the Takeaway's committment to getting the truth our there to the American public. Shocking that those views still exist!

Aug. 30 2012 10:10 AM

Clearly those two ladies have never SUFFERED in their lives. Only the elitest RICH can have a view so callous and unfeeling that they would even give lip service to such a preposterous thing.

When we were a tribal species and captured other tribes women do they think that those women all fell in love with their captors. What about children born of SLAVES form WHITE masters? African rape camps. Bosnian Rape Camps. Its been a long standing practice to BREED away a group that the group in power did not like. Especially when they cannot be slaughtered whole sale. Guess the spanish conquistadores made sweet love to the natives. Or all those portugese who went to Brazil.....

Republican Ignorance and misinformation knows no bounds.

This is easily the sickest stance I have ever heard. It trumps hate on gays, immigrants, and poor which the republican spawn machine continues to spread.

Aug. 30 2012 10:07 AM
Tim M.

Are we actually having a conversation about whether it is possible for a woman to conceive during a rape?? Seriously??!!! Is this the freakin' 1800's. How can you possibly give these lunatics air time and let their ignorance go unquestioned?

Aug. 30 2012 09:58 AM
Sean from Brooklyn

I want to leave a comment. Except I can not get my head around how a persons can be so ignorant. Maybe they should take a look at Rape Children of the Rwandan genocide. I think that has to be the most stressful situation any one could ever be in. How do Republicans explain away that?

Aug. 30 2012 09:44 AM
anna from new york

Well, Amanda, maybe. I don't have TV and I don't watch conventions.
I do know who elected Obama - only illiterate, depraved any knowledge of history and any sensitivity to demagoguery could vote for "Hope, unity, change."
BTW, why don't you check who actually "gave" you this wonderful leader.
It was clear to me in 2007, that the Republicans who knew that they didn't have a chance in 2008, decided that someone dressed like a Democrat, permanently smiling and able/willing to function on the level "Hope, unity, change" would be loved, loved, loved by bozos who didn't have an hour of history in their lives.
It was clear to me that a disaster, both domestic and international was in the making.
Why don't you check who was running Obama's campaign, among other things.

Aug. 30 2012 09:30 AM
Amanda from Virginia

Mortifying ignorance. It seems unlikely that these delegates can read. Very disappointing for Republicans throughout the US.

Aug. 30 2012 08:02 AM