Anti-Obama Documentary Is a Box Office Hit

Monday, August 27, 2012

There may be a storm headed for Tampa this week, but there’s a different kind of Republican storm happening at movie theaters right now. "2016: Obama’s America," a documentary by conservative writer Dinesh D’Souza is set to break box office records for political documentaries.

The anti-Obama film includes an interview with the President’s African half-brother, George Obama.

Rafer Guzman is film critic for Newsday and co-host of the Movie Date podcast.

Angel from Miami, FL

Anna is proof that conservatives are a fringe group. Only fringe groups have that many conspiracy theories about everything and nothing at all. In Anna's case she's claiming to be even more fanatical than D'Souza himself. The American Conservative is a Taliban of sorts: funding and arming themselves by whatever ammoral means necessary whilst forcing backwards religious and cultural beliefs upon everyone in the country.

These folks are so blindingly in lockstep with the RNC's idiosyncractic platform that they are willing to elect a cult member for president.

Aug. 28 2012 10:51 AM
Angel from Miami, FL

The aforementioned movie grossed $2.2 million (Hollywood Reporter) to beat Premium Rush, Hit & Run, and The Apparition. Fahrenheit 9/11 went from $8.5m its first Friday to $23m for that weekend. Does Fahrenheit count as a political documentary? If you say no, then D'Souza's movie might just be "set to break box office records for political documentaries". Otherwise The Takeaway is just forwarding someone else's hype... like some retiree who spends way too many hours on the Interweb.

Aug. 28 2012 10:17 AM
anna from new york

Larry, why don't you do everyone a favor - disappear for a couple of years, study something (something basic) and come back. Maybe then some discussion will be possible. Your marching zombie style is truly irritating.

Aug. 27 2012 02:03 PM
Adam Dawson

I remember Fahrenheit 9/11 was released in 2004. It made tons of money, and ultimately no difference whatsoever when people went to the polls.

I think a smart business plan would be to start a publishing company that releases books that claim to tell "The True Story of (Whichever Politician)," and to always use tag lines like "The Story THEY Don't Want You to Read!"

There are always enough teeth grinding resentment junkies to make a buck or two off that sort of action.

Aug. 27 2012 01:17 PM
larry fisher from en

. I love the way conspiracy theories hold the imagination of the american dream...as a supporter of obama id love republicans to hit hard on lenincy on corrupt bankers and not on boogie man stories of identity. What exactly happens to obama in the conspiracy if he is found out to be a martian who studied economics with karl marx...a lynching?
Please go acfter obama on concrete topics it will make him a better president for everyone

Aug. 27 2012 10:57 AM
Peg

Anna - wonder how much of the national debt could be paid off with all this (m)advertising money? I'm just soooo pleased that tax cuts are being used for such "important messages" to Americans.

Aug. 27 2012 08:58 AM
anna from new york

Peg, the Democrats most certainly will produce something, but look how much is spent on pure propaganda - Obama is smiling (he's God), he's walking (he's God), he's talking (a lot, he's God).

Aug. 27 2012 08:51 AM
Peg

When can we expect the Anti-Romney documentary? Probably soon - since both parties have plenty of money to waste on torturing voters this election season.

Aug. 27 2012 08:32 AM
anna from new york

The weirdness of Obama's foreign policy apparently was noticed by many, since he immediately was rewarded for it by the land of Knut Hamsun. Thank you, Norwegians, for giving this well deserved Nobel (yes, sarcasm).

Aug. 27 2012 06:34 AM
anna from new york

I would like to see the movie. Unlike d'Souza, I am a progressive (a real one - not "my precious body, my precious mansion ... and the Palestinians" pseudo left/genuine hypocrites, but I don't like many aspects of Obama story and would like someone to examine them.
To begin with I think I dislike the beginning:
- a politician writes fairy tales for feeble minded (calls them "autobiography")
- then he smiles broadly and he throws "Hope, unity, change" and the feeble minded start chanting: "hope, unity, change."
- I dislike many "creators" of Obama, including Oprah/Soros/Reverend Wright
- most certainly I dislike the beginning of his foreign policy which is at best strange, at worst suspicious (I mean really suspicious)
etc.
- I dislike the fact that I don't know what promises he made to Abbas (first international call), Putin etc.
Yes, I'll see the movie.

Aug. 27 2012 06:26 AM
Ed from Larchmont

It seems a bad sign for President Obama that this excellent and serious movie is such a hit. D'Souza has been an excellent writer for several years.

Aug. 27 2012 05:52 AM