Jeremy Lin May Be Headed to Houston

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks brings the ball up court against the Los Angeles Lakers. (Chris Chambers/Getty Images/Getty)

What's left of 'Linsanity' might be swept up in a reported $25.8 million dollar deal with the Houston Rockets by 11:59 PM EST tonight. If New York Knicks Guard, Jeremy Lin, who averaged 6.2 assists and 14.6 points per game, goes to the Rockets it'll be for a three year period earning just under $15 million in his last contact year.

Some of the questions swirling around: Is Jeremy Lin worth what Houston is offering? How will the fans react to losing Lin? Is Lin a valued choice? Businesses have even started putting their Lin merchandise on the clearance racks.

Ibrahim Abdul-Matin, sports contributor for The Takeaway, and Jeff Yang, Wall Street Journal Online columnist, explain who's losing out on the reported trade and what Jeremy Lin can take away from the potential new opportunity.

Arwa Gunja and Ashley Wandishin

Contributors:

Ibrahim Abdul-Matin and Jeff Yang

AIA from Harlem

Nice job! Ibrahim and Jeff keep coming with the fascinating and insightful comments that go beyond the typical sports reporting, but bring a thoughtful cultural analysis. I don't always agree, but I always find great food for thought! Jin = Wall great!

By the way, AJ, that's a bad look--hella.

Jul. 17 2012 11:48 AM
Mary from Queens

Admittedly, I'm not a huge NBA watcher. But I am a good gauge for who/ what the general public knows and understands about the NBA. I didn't even know who John Wall was. Had to google him. I definitely know Jeremy Lin. I was excited by linsanity. I don't remember any wallsanity so in my head, Lin is better bc he got the attention of a non fan, non watcher.

Jul. 17 2012 09:39 AM
Alan from NYC

Hey I liked the wall/Lin comparison! on the small sample size -25 starts in the nba- john wall and jeremy lin have identical stats. in their head to head matchups Lin got the better of him consistently. people may not like to hear it but the #1 pick got done by an undrafted kid.

Jul. 17 2012 09:28 AM
Joanie

I hate how folks fish for employment via blog comments. If you were that good you'd have the job or at least know where to send your resume. I've been listening to Ibrahim for 4 years and I know this - I dont like sports but his is the only segment I look forward to on takeaway. keep it up Ibrahim. The Jeremy v John comparison is controversial and controversy is sexy. Not lame facts, figures, scores, averages.

Jul. 17 2012 09:13 AM
Dumi from NYC

I have to admit I was as dubious about the Lin over Wall comment as Kobe's USA 2012 over the Dream Team comment. On there faces I was like, "GET OUT OF HERE! RIDICULOUS!!" Then after a little more thinking and ACTUAL digging they both seem worthy of consideration. I've gotta say thank to Ibrahim for making me think about t his one. I'm not saying in either case that the assertion is 100 percent spot on, but there really is room for debate. Sometimes our rose colored glasses miss the reality of the hardwood.

Now the big issue for me is that with the Dream team and Team USA 2012 is that it's a hypothetical that we'll never know, nor need to know. When it comes to the Lin question this is something really for NYK to consider. Signing Lin would have a been a bold move with not fully known returns, but one I would have like to see. Afterall, when we're not just crunching numbers don't we all want to be excited by sports again? Linsanity was catalyst and Lin played good ball. Sorry to see that he may go ...

Jul. 17 2012 08:42 AM

Sorry AJ on this one you are wrong. Statistically, for their first 25 games as starters in the NBA, they have very similar statistics which is why I based my comments on what occurred in their head to head match-ups.

Jeremy Lin made his name by owning elite point guards like John Wall and Deron Williams. Do you remember this from summer league a few years ago?

His ownership of Wall practically put him on the map.

Or how about this one: http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/08/jeremy-lin-crossed-up-john-wall-and-dunked-violently/

If you're far from an NBA fan, the listen to someone who is and not getting all your knowledge from ESPN or the NY Post.

ibrahim

Jul. 17 2012 08:24 AM
aj rosenbaum from brooklyn

I've wondered before about the depth of Ibrahim's real knowledge of sports, in terms specifically of 'the game' rather than entertainment, social, or financial considerations. I'm far from being a huge NBA fan but after hearing that Jeremy Lin "is better than John Wall" I wonder no more. That borders on embarrassing. I know it's WNYC/NPR and not ESPN, but if you need help in you sports department please let me know. I can research anything (I've been working in the investigative field for 20+ years), pay attention to and appreciate (almost all sports)and wouldn't ask for much (I'd love to work for WNYC/NPR).

Jul. 17 2012 07:38 AM