Utter a Curse, Suffer a Fine: Massachusetts Town Outlaws Unsavory Language

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

No swearing No swearing (Ernesto Huang/flickr)

No littering, no public drunkenness, no disorderly conduct... and no cursing? That could be the case if a new law up for vote in Middleborough, Massachusetts, passes. Middleborough is considering imposing a $20 fine for the use of "unsavory language" in its public spaces. Alfred P Rullo, Jr. is the Chairman of the Middleborough Board of Selectmen.

Alfred P Rullo, Jr.

bob from massachusetts

consequenses for profanity at a telephone operator when you are being recorded. in massachusetts.

Mar. 06 2013 09:28 AM

Too many people take their supposed rights to the point of being license.
When people don't bother with self-control some official intervention by way of laws and fines are in order.
I think that there should be very strict laws against people riding loud motorcycles at any time of the day or night. And there should be no less than ten years in jail and a $10,000 fine for anyone who adjusts his or her motorcycle so as to make more noise than it was factory-designed to do and according to federally mandated rules for the manufacture of motorcycles. I once saw one of those Hell's Angel's type of motorcycle rider popping a wheelie on his blaring motorcycle in the middle of a traffic-crowded street on Broadway (NYC). And anyone who rides his or her bike on the sidewalk should have his or her bicycle confiscated and fined twice the amount of money s/he paid to buy it.

Jun. 13 2012 08:46 AM
Jack from Danvers, Ma

I noted a lot of people commenting on dogs that bark. I have two of those. We try to keep them in during the early morning and at night. If they are barking during the day, I bring them in. I also noted that car alarms were not a real problem for people. My dogs bark when someone walks by or approaches the house, the car alarms go off when the wind blows. I think the dogs are more useful.

Jun. 12 2012 10:07 PM

As for the guy who would outlaw paints sagging below behinds, some places already have. And I think those kind of laws are ridiculous. So glad the village spokesman declined to engage more of such foolishness. Here's my take on the fashion police: http://blackandbrownnews.com/2012/04/22/black-masculinity-booty-bandits-and-the-fashion-police/

Jun. 12 2012 02:43 PM
anon

"...Middleborough is considering imposing a $20 fine for the use of unsavory language on its thoroughfares and in its public spaces." What legally constitutes 'unsavory'? What
about the use of the (in)famous Battlestar Galatica term
'frak'? That term clearly doesn't fall under the 7 infamous words, right?

Jun. 12 2012 11:32 AM
Naira Aslanyan from NYC

Seriously? What happened to freedom of speech? I guess unless you are on FramersOnly.com you don't even have a reason to visit that town. And I don't blame people for cursing- it does sound they have nothing better to do there

Jun. 12 2012 10:46 AM
joel

to the 'seven bad words' law. Perhaps if we spent a few bucks on education we could teach folks to say go fornicate yourself that would save citizens a some money

Jun. 12 2012 09:41 AM
Melissa A S from Novi, MI

I'm wondering if technology would aid in the effort to curb cursing-could the officer witness the cursing via camera phone? What if I streamed the offront directly to the officer? What about a recording? Al thoughts are appreciated!

Jun. 12 2012 09:32 AM
listener

A snide interview of a local politician wanting to fine local citizens $20 for rude language in public yet a gushing interview of Rep. Frank who imposed a much higher cost to all US citizens?

Jun. 12 2012 09:12 AM
Richard Storm from Hell's Kitchen

I would outlaw double-parking on busy sidestreets, which stops all traffic for blocks when a bus can't get pass the double-parked vehicle... Wait, double-parking IS against the law. Here's an idea: How about enforcing the law? Maybe the cash-strapped city could make some money on fines and the streets might clear up a bit...

Jun. 12 2012 09:11 AM
cowboy ben from Brooklyn

I would outlaw sugary drinks above 16 ounces.

Jun. 12 2012 09:11 AM

How about a fine on community fascists who petition for fascist laws and ordinances? Though I fear the fine itself would be fascist.

Jun. 12 2012 09:10 AM
Claudia S from Boston

I would love for the loud booming stereos in cars or in adjacent homes/ apartments to get a hefty fine. Some noises are so loud it shakes the walls. It really is not necessary.

Jun. 12 2012 09:09 AM
missy

I would ban leaf blowers and open burning...which, until I moved to Lynnfield, I thought was banned in the 1970's with the Clean Air Act.

Jun. 12 2012 09:05 AM
Shanda Trent from Ann Arbor

I suggest a fine for not putting your grocery cart in a designated cart "corral."

I have had a loose cart scratch my car on several occasions. More dangerous, on a windy day, a cart blew into my stroller.

Aldi stores require a quarter to use a cart. To get your quarter back, you must return your cart. This works 99 percent of the time.

Jun. 12 2012 08:27 AM
Assen

Singapore, Mass, eh?
Who will be the snitch, what funds do the fines flow into? How many witnesses will be required to authenticate violation?
Why not just pass ordinace allowing anyone hearing what they feel offensive to scream out loud at the violator, knowing they will be protected from violent reprisal?

Jun. 12 2012 08:08 AM
J l

So this goes for police who swear in the process of making arrests or on the job "requests" correct?! "Get ON THE F@#K'N GROUND!!" is just one that comes to mind....

Jun. 12 2012 06:40 AM