Moving Beyond Calories In, Calories Out

Thursday, May 17, 2012

A study predicts 42 percent of Americans will be obese by 2030. (Tony Alter/flickr)

According to a new study, 42 percent of American adults will be obese by the year 2030. And all this week, The Takeaway looks at that prediction with people we might not normally think of as obesity specialists — from city planners to coffin makers to our guest yesterday, a mathematician with the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Diseases named Dr. Carson Chow.

Today, the conversation continues with Michael Moyer, senior editor at Scientific American. Moyer believes that in order to combat America’s obesity epidemic, the answer isn’t mere math equations. As he sees it, things are more complicated than simply calories in versus calories out.

Michael Moyer

Kristen Meinzer

Fitnessa Sk

Great Post, your readers may also be interested in <a href="http://www.fat2fit.pro/2012/09/24/the-simplest-way-to-lose-weight/" target="_blank">The Simplest way to lose weight</a> to get an insight into other simple ways to lose weight.

Sep. 25 2012 09:09 AM
Jane from Denver, CO

Seven years ago I lost 30# after years of trying and have kept it off. At the time I was a 55 year old woman. I went from approximately 170# to 140#. I did it primarily by eating better and gradually eating less as I lost weight. I switched from bread, pasta, rice, potatoes to complex carbohydrates such as hummus or garbanzo beans and pinto, red, white and black beans. I also started eating a big lettuce salad for dinner and I ate more vegetables and fruit and avoided sugar and alcohol. I ate meat, poultry and fish, but in small amounts. I strove to not eat until I had some hunger twinges, ate a small amount at a time and ate frequently. I strove to limit eating out to twice a week. I would order a dinner salad. I continue to eat this way. My exercise was walking various times during the day that added up to an hour or two most days. Three years ago I added Jazzercize 3 to 4 times a week. I feel great!

May. 18 2012 10:38 AM
peter prasinos from Hull Ma.

I took part in a 2 year study at Tufts University in Boston that was focused on Nutrition and the science of ageing in which ones metabolic rate was determined and a calorie prescription was determined at 25% below your metabolic burn rate. I lost over 35lbs and have maintained it. The theory is that after the age of 30 a person’s metabolism reduces by aprox. 8% per decade. So, by age 50 your ability to burn calories has been reduced by about 16%. Therefore, a corresponding reduction of calories has to take place in order to maintain a constant weight. This is the reason many people gain weight as they age when they feel they have eaten the same diet for many years. Moreover, determining metabolic rate is difficult and may be inaccurate unless you involve professional services’ was empowered with knowledge and support throughout the 2 year study and I am grateful for that and healthier thanks to the research team at Tufts. Peter Prasinos

May. 18 2012 09:24 AM
Carson C Chow

Hi,

I think debate is always a good thing and my response to Michael is here:

Carson Chow

May. 18 2012 08:56 AM
Peg

To anna from NY - Are there actually any Liberals left in America anymore??? I thought they all disappeared (or were sent to jail) when the lovely word liberal was made into a swear word. I haven't seen or heard from any of them lately.

Thank you Conserv'tives for getting rid of these nasty pests. Maybe you can also get rid of a few more 'sylbals' from conservative to make it easier for us to say. How about 'covativ'??? Sounds good to me.

May. 17 2012 11:04 AM
carl, queens, n.y.

the simplest way to lose weight is, how you put it on is how you take it off... you ate a horse, eat a half of horse...

May. 17 2012 09:15 AM
anna from new york

Leslie,
Personally, I would send our beloved first Lady directly to prison for ... diverting attention from real issues Americans are facing including obesity to utterly idiotic "wellness."

May. 17 2012 08:44 AM
Leslie from NYC

John obviously did not see the HBO special Weight of the Nation, because if he did he would have known that the Obama adminstration tried to change nutritional standards for school lunches; this proposal was defeated by the food industry and their Republican cohorts. The food industry would not agree to even limiting french fries to twice a week and succeeded in getting pizza designated a vegetable.

May. 17 2012 08:32 AM
anna from new york

Predictably, American "liberals" are in the bubbling mode. I can give this ... (I'm tempted to say "moron" who repeats with a voice distorted by sincerity something about a "dollar a day," but I am behaving) a lesson in science of obesity. Unslave Americans (even though they vastly deserve what they have), untie from their computers 80 hours a week (so Dimon and Father Finn get richer), allow employees go to the bathroom when nature calls, take a sick day when nature misbehave, take a walk instead of team working and strategic planning, etc. Simple.

May. 17 2012 08:27 AM
allen taylor from Tufts University HUmjan Nutrition Research Center Boston MA

RE: Cheap carbohydrates. Excessive carbohydertate intake is related to increased risk for age related macular degeneration and cataracts as well as diabetes and cardiovascularr disease. Loss of vision due to these diseases is among the greatest fears of our elderly and accounts for a large proportion of our medicare budget. See reviews by
Chiu and Taylor

May. 17 2012 07:26 AM
Bobby from Ma

And by being active every day, of course.

May. 17 2012 06:41 AM
Bobby from Brockton, MA

Homemade granola! It's delicious, cost effective, and full of energy-giving calories and large amounts of fiber (which helps keep you full). This, of course, depend upon what you put in it. Some great options: oats, almonds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and raisins.

May. 17 2012 06:37 AM