Case of Mad Cow Disease Found in California

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lily the fistulated cow Lily the fistulated cow (Tim Howard/WNYC)

The discovery of a case of mad cow disease in a cow in California prompted two major South Korean retailers to immediately suspend sales of U.S. beef. Although it's the first such case in six years, and was found in a cow not intended for human consumption, the news set off fresh worries about the safety of American food. Scott Hurd is Associate Professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University. He’s also former Deputy Undersecretary for Food Safety for the USDA. He explains what's behind the beef trade wars.

Scott Hurd

Mythili Rao

Go Vegan

@Derek: Ah, ok! I see what you mean now. I'm still not fond of animal by-products, though I agree with you that there can be sustainable and ethical practices. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that is possible with mass production when it comes to creating an endless supply for consumers. On a small-scale, however, it is certainly a more sound alternative in terms of not compromising animal welfare in the process.

Apr. 26 2012 10:14 AM
Derek from Pittsburgh

-Go Vegan
Never insinuated that you did push for soy as an alternative.. just pointing out that most people think vegetarianism or vegan is nothing buy soy.. but it's so much more. I wont go into the philosophy of hurting sentient beings.. but I raise chickens and eat their eggs.. its very sustainable and they range free. I don't believe they are hurt in anyway, in fact our time spent sitting with them speaks the opposite. they seem very happy. Same with my bee hives.. specially in a world concerned with the bee population.

Both eggs and honey fall out of a vegan diet..

Apr. 26 2012 09:56 AM
Go Vegan

@Derek: being vegan doesn't necessarily mean I support soy as an alternative. Ethically, exploiting animals in any capacity is troublesome to me. Though I realize that complete elimination of inflicting harm on other living things is unachievable unless I were to become a Jainist monk in some remote corner of the world, I still try as much as possible to make choices that result in the least amount of harm. The long-run consequences on my health still does not justify to me causing pain for other sentient beings (I am not vegan for health reasons, but for animal welfare reasons).

Apr. 26 2012 09:40 AM
Derek from Pittsburgh

-Go Vegan
You can have a sustainable chicken / cow / pig farm .. being vegan may come back to hurt you long run.

-Peg from Southern Tier NY
Yes the american food supply system is a bugaboo, but ask any doctor.. beef is not good on the digestion... and more and more research finds it to be the main reason for complications in health at late ages..

Apr. 26 2012 09:14 AM
Derek from Pittsburgh

I grew up on a large farm with a small herd of black angus.. when I left for college and had to purchase "factory meat" it made me sick and I have been a vegetarian ever since.. going vegan in my opinion is taking to far and all we have learned about soy.. I wouldn't saw it's much better. Personally, I am happy I dropped animal protein from my diet.. I have more energy and better overall health and digestion.

Apr. 26 2012 09:08 AM
Go Vegan

Yet another reason to go vegan. Not only are industrialized food practices often incredibly inhumane to the poor animals fated to live within the confines of the factory farm, but there are obviously serious health issues related to their husbandry that continually emerge.

Apr. 26 2012 07:43 AM
Matthew fleischmann from Harlem

It's no surprise that this epidemic is rearing its head again. The commercial meat industry is a non sustainable industry that treats animals, the environment, and personal health with secondary importance to profits. It is natural for humans to eat meat so we should be eating natural meat.

Apr. 26 2012 07:39 AM
Peg from Southern Tier NY

The problem is not US beef, the problem is the massive US food supply system. This week it could be your hamburger, next week it could be your tomatoes. From factory farm to your table, your food is handled (and mishandled) by countless different people along it's way to you. Sorry, but if most of us want to live in cities, then most Americans are totally dependent on "THE SYSTEM."

Apr. 26 2012 07:23 AM