Hulu Shakes Up TV Advertising

Monday, April 23, 2012

Every year cable channels and network broadcasters hold "upfronts," where they pitch advertisers on their new shows. Hulu, the online service that streams network TV programming, is pitching its own original programming this year, competing with the very stations it relies on. Brian Stelter, media reporter for our partner The New York Times, joins us to discuss how TV will fare in the age of the Internet.

Brian Stelter

Arwa Gunja and Mythili Rao

Brad Lowrey from Detroit, MI

My wife and I dropped cable back in 2008 and never added it back. We get HD local programming via antenna and then watch everything else on demand via Hulu Plus and Netflix. Only thing I really miss is live sports on ESPN and FOX Sports.

Apr. 24 2012 05:17 PM
Jessie Henshaw from way uptown

From a scientific approach, if you want to understand events, look at the environment they are occurring in, to see what energy sources they are feeding on or being starved of.

The bus stop crowd seem to agree on one thing, the reason for declining viewership is that the quality of content just steadily declines, so you eventually give up old habits. As the talent pool for ALL the media is diluted, and quality programming of all kinds becomes unprofitable, it looks like over-investment in it causing the ship to sink of its own weight.

Apr. 23 2012 10:14 AM
Leslie Linson on Facebook

We installed a large-screen monitor hooked up to a laptop computer about a year ago, and now watch only internet

Apr. 23 2012 07:16 AM
Johnnie Sue Thayer on Facebook

I TIVO everything - I rarely watch anything "live" anymore, except the news. That way I can fast forward through commercials, etc.

Apr. 23 2012 06:00 AM
Patti MacCracken on Facebook

The only reason we still have cable is b/c of the on-demand work outs.

Apr. 23 2012 04:08 AM
Gabby Weiss on Facebook

Just subscribed to Hulu plus; the cost is neglibile next to cable and I get to time shift as much as I like!

Apr. 23 2012 12:03 AM
Jordan French on Facebook

Once sports get on board with legitimate online streaming with no black outs, I'm saying goodbye to cable forever. Over $50/month for little more than reality tv and commercials? No thank you

Apr. 22 2012 11:40 PM
Elissa Clemons on Facebook

I haven't had cable for nearly 5 years. I love my Roku and Netflix. I choose not to use Hulu because of I don't want to pay to watch commercials.

Apr. 22 2012 11:20 PM
Judith F. Bradshaw on Facebook

I haven't scrapped my antenna (haven't ever had cable or satellite) but watch TONS online... I like watching what I miss on my own schedule! Like podcasts of wnyc snows!

Apr. 22 2012 11:00 PM
Ross Michæl Octavian Acerbi on Facebook

I subscribe to hulu and netflix and we get along just fine. We got sick of high cable bills and our lack of cable choices.

Apr. 22 2012 10:46 PM