Political Ads on Public Broadcasting?

Friday, April 13, 2012

Still from one of Herman Cain's campaign ads. (YouTube)

Public broadcasting doesn't have commercials. It has underwriting announcements — and few of them at that. But that could change, now that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that the FCC Congress violated the First Amendment when it blocked public broadcasters from airing political advertisements. Jeffrey Rosen, professor of Law at George Washington University, describes how the ruling could change the face of public radio and TV.

Jeffrey Rosen

Joe Hernandez

Frank

The best way to help keep political ads off of public radio is to make sure your not just a listener, but a supporter. First, public radio needs money from somewhere to survive, and with congress cutting funding, less of that is coming from the government. Second, people who threaten not to listen to public radio have much less impact than people who threaten not to contribute.

Apr. 13 2012 04:08 PM
Donald Shank from Everett, WA

Yet another example of why we need to get the money out of politics. Our election shouldn't be resolved by the marketplace, but in the marketplace of ideas. Give the candidates free time to air their views, followed by a "fact check" squad and panel discussion to cut through the bullshit.

Apr. 13 2012 11:22 AM

If I ever hear a politcal ad or even an overtly commercial ad on any of the publiuc radio-college-community stations I listen to on the radio or on line, that'll be the end of me listening to them and I won't contribute to them any longer

Apr. 13 2012 11:16 AM
Wizard from Boca Raton, FL

We are inundated with this crap on standard broadcast media, Public Radio is the last place these ads should run!

Apr. 13 2012 09:51 AM
michael cody from memphis tn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Apr. 13 2012 09:32 AM
Derek from Brooklyn

Let's keep the circus out of public radio please. Zombie advertising is not what I tune in for.

Apr. 13 2012 09:11 AM
Cara from Atlanta, GA

Best case, change the station.
Worst case, never listen/watch/contribute again.

Apr. 13 2012 09:10 AM
Bill Buck from Goldens Bridge, NY

Were WNYC to take $ for political ads, I would look much less kindly at the next fundraising effort.

Apr. 13 2012 08:39 AM
Dennis Moyes from Bergen County, NJ

The first time I hear a political ad on WNYC I will immediately cancel my membership and consider myself betrayed!

Apr. 13 2012 06:41 AM