New Pew Survey Examines How Latinos Identify Themselves

Thursday, April 05, 2012

A new poll released by the Pew Survey looks at how Latinos identify themselves. We'll talk about the different identities we adopt with regard to our race with Mark Lopez, associate director of the Pew Hispanic Center, and Ilan Stavans, Amherst College professor of Latino culture.

Mark Lopez and Ilan Stavans

Leo Duran

Fred from Nassau, NY

Re: WhiteDude from Multiracial Insanity (USA)

Your use of a sentence structure of which I am unfamiliar aside, I would have to say one simple thing. America is not a "White" continent. According to you, the use of imperial colonization is justifiable for emigration of White Europeans to "non-white" areas, but nothing justifies the movement of non-whites to "white countries."

Actually, "Whitenss" is a very recent development in the history of man, having only developed after Africans started migrating north 1.2 million years ago.

Oh yeah, Anti-racist is code for Anti-Stupid White.

Apr. 10 2012 08:05 AM

In the episode "Computer Friend" of 1970s PBS bilingual sitcom, "Que Pasa, USA?", the Cuban-born grandparents are bothered by the granddaughter's new Black friend. The elders' reaction to the Black kid is a bit exaggerated but it isn't that far off either. Hijinks ensue and it becomes Cuban versus Black fiasco. Until the Cuban family's friend visits and he happens to be both Cuban AND Black. He ends up setting both families straight. The episode demonstrates the warped relationship between Blacks and Hispanics.

You can see it on YouTube, it features a pre-"Scarface" Steven Bauer.

Apr. 06 2012 09:32 AM
WhiteDude from Multiracial Insanity (USA)

Asia for Asians, Africa for Africans, White countries for everyone????????

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into White countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are more crowded than Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY White countries to "assimilate," i.e., intermarry, with all those non-Whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I'm not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn't object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the White race, Liberals and respectable conservatives will just say that I'm a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

Apr. 05 2012 05:35 PM
Lizette Cantres from Westchester, NY

For a number of years now, I have felt like a member if a dying breed: the New York Puerto Rican. I was born in the fifties and in the Bronx, East Harlem, etc. if you spoke Spanish you were Puerto Rican. I did not meet a Mexican American or Cuban until I went to college in the seventies. Racially, we were the original Rainbow People. Racism was of a benign, paternalistic form that managed to distinguish Black Puerto Ricans ( to the extend we admitted there were any) from "Los Morenos." If you had Black friends, in true Puerto Rican fashion, they became Morenitos to your parents; the diminutive somehow made them less foreign.

Like African-Americans, we are people of color who are American citizens by birth. We suffered racism, but did not live in fear of deportation. In my lifetime, my fellow Puerto Ricans have steadily abandoned New York and the Northeast for places like Florida and Las Vegas. In New York, the Latinos my children grew up with are Mexican and Central American, with a few Dominicans and South Americans mixed in. As a Puerto Rican, my native country is always within easy reach. However, my place of orign, the place where I am truly from, Puerto Rican New York is not really a place I can go home to.

Apr. 05 2012 10:32 AM
Lisa

Surveys like these make me angry. Our country is too hung up on these labels as if no one wants to be just an individual American or as if there really is such a thing as race or ethnicity beyond the constructs we create as humans. Every country is a "melting" pot...most countries have a diversity too some extent or another...you just have to dig.

The reason we have developed Latino as a way of indicating "race" in this country, i.e. black, white, latino is because many people who come from south and central america tend to have very diverse ancestral heritage compared to us north americans - that is the slave and indigenous populations mixed more with the European population.

However, there ARE black Hispanics, white Hispanics and those that consider themselves mixed. I find it funny that at first Zimmerman was identified as "white" which he clearly is if you are just looking at skin color. But even I could see feature-wise he looked like he had ancestors who came from Latin America -which that in itself might make him Hispanic but not necessarily not white. Zimmerman as a name made me think...he could be Jewish since many German surnames are held by those who are Jewish (for many reasons beyond them having ever lived or had ancestors who were German)...so I was not surprised that in your report today, he had indeed identified himself as that, along with Catholic.

There are many people in this country that carry a name like Garcia who if it were not for their Spanish surname might never identify themselves as Latin or Spanish (and by the way I only call people from SPAIN Spanish - the same way I am not called English just because I speak English) simply because it was the great grandparents who came to this country from say Mexico.

Why does a William Levy (born in Cuba, emigrated to US) get to self identify as Cuban but a William Ramos (born in this country) is not allowed to self identify as simply American. If William Ramos had a grandfather with a name like Hill but yet all his other grandparents were from Latin countries, would it then be okay for him to just be American?

My point is this....this is a stupid thing to discuss. The media needs to stop identifying people as this that or the other. Emigrants who come to this country should be encouraged to identify as Americans. We should stop the long history of the hyphen American...people whose grand or great parents came from Italy still calling themselves Italian-Americans, puleeze. Everyone is unique, everyone is an individual and we should all bond in this country because we are all citizens or residents of this country. This country isn't a melting pot and it isn't that unique in the sense that it has a diverse population. See Canada, Australia, and yes Latin American countries. The melting pot is just a story we tell ourselves as American as a way to make it okay for us to not be just plain old Americans.

Apr. 05 2012 10:06 AM
Peg

President Ford having a "blunder" with his "first encounter" with a tamale???

Good heavens!! Everyone has a first encounter - including Latino children.
Some kind person should have graciously shown him how to eat one. That's how all of us share our cultures.

Apr. 05 2012 09:59 AM