Univision's Jorge Ramos on Latino Voters in the 2012 Presidential Race

Friday, January 27, 2012

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney sits down with Univision's Jorge Ramos for a 'Meet the Candidate' forum hosted by the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and Univision. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images/Getty)

It's getting down to the wire in Florida, with Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney neck-and-neck in the polls. The Latino vote is essential to win the Sunshine State, but it might be even more important for the general election in November. According to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, 12.2 million Latinos will vote in the 2012 presidential election, a 26 percent increase from 2008. But whether Latinos like what they've seen in the lead-up to the Florida primary remains to be seen.

Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos has spent the past few days in Miami getting to know the Republican candidates, as well as Latino voters across the country.

Jorge Ramos

Jillian Weinberger

Jan from New Jersey

Firstly, Jorge Ramos is no superstar to all Latinos in the US. He answers to a group of influential Miami politicians which are known to be very conservative(Republicans). Secondly, illegal immigrants have lived in this country for many decades. They can wait a little longer. Jorge Ramos seems to put too much emphasis in this subject alone and does not provide enough information on Romney and Obama to allow Latinos to choose the candidate that suits them best. Instead he's made Immigration front and center of his criticism of the current administration and has given the anti-immigration party, anti-government party, anti-gay, women right to choose party and many other things important to Latinos, a free pass. Therefore he does not inform me and many like me of what affects us daily. Do a little more research and you'll find out that he even called himself George Bush.

May. 22 2012 12:47 PM
Ejay Brandt from Fort lauderdale, Florida

Jorge, STOP sucking up on Democrats....You should be honest with your very own self.
On dream act, you know very well and I hope all latinos know that Mr. Obama had the congress and the senate the first 2 years, he could have passed anything he promised to Latino VOTERS as promised when he campaign.
Now you and DEMS want to blame REPUBLICANS...

Jorge, WHY you did NOT press Mr. Mariachi ( LA mayor) and let him know that Obama had the congress and the senate and Obama screwed completely the LATINOS...WHY you did NOR remind him about the TRUTH!!
You think you're a good reporter...I always knew that you pulled way o the left, you are honest at all.

Jorge, here in USA you want Illegals to become legals...Please tell me..I know you're very smart, but ONCE you legalize 11 to 20 million people then we have to give them FOOD STAMPS, HOUSING, HEALTH, ETC., ETC.
I know you dont care, all yo guys want is POWER...LOOK GOOD FOR LATINOS so they can VOTE DEMOCRAT and just SCREW our country...WE have huge debts, we dont have the money to give more handouts!!

Jan. 30 2012 01:39 AM
Erwin James from Miami, Florida

Jorge, how stupid are you? You know very well that Obama had the congress and senate the first 2 years, he could have passed the dream act and everything would want us, yes us, the Americans to give hand outs to 20 millions of illegals....Dont you know that once you legalize them, yes all the millions then automatic you have to give them food stamps, housing, etc., etc....I know you can careless, it's NOT your country....Go see hoe Mexicans treat illegals when they come across.

When you interview a democrat, like the mayor of Los Angeles, why you did NOT press the issue that Obama did not do what he promised the latinos, NOW he wants to blame republicans when in fact you know, you are a very smart man, he had the senate and congress for the first 2 years...WHY you cover for dems and not be honest with the American people....I always knew that you hate this country and is here where you have made a lot of money and it is here where you open your big mouth to comment and try to help illegals.
Jorge, I think you're a little smart communist guy...If we legalize 11 to 20 million people...Please tell me who will support and feed all these guys...we have no jobs....WHY can the USA watch the inmigration? every other country does...YOu go to Mexico and you cant stay for more than 30 days, if you do you have to let authority know, Nicaragua the same thing...WHY can the USA do the same thing as other sovereign country.

Republicans are for Legal inmigration...Can you understand that? if you dont like that, I am very sorry, but thats the way every country in the World is....STOP sucking up for DEMS...Do your JOB being HONEST and TRUTHFUL!!

Jorge, please stop pulling to the democrats side, be honest and straight

Jan. 30 2012 01:22 AM
Manuel Little from Hawaii

LEGAL workers don't work for 'peanuts'. ... Look, no one, NO ONE, is going to campaign recognizing that the illegal immigration from Latin-America is unstoppable, except through a downsized economy as we now have. And, every time the illegal work force problem is considered by politicians campaigning, promising future reform of how they would decrease the number, they forget that Americans don't reproduce fast enough to produce a cheap work force. illegal immigrants work for almost nothing, and they work in produce and factories that require cheap local workers. If we don't want our lettuce, hot-dogs, meat, fruits and tomatoes to skyrocket in price, maybe we should agree to let a brown-skin hand pick them up and package them for us. Machines cannot do such work cheaper. Gingrich has the proper plan to manage the border, both for low cost workers, and also to keep terrorists out. NObama's administration actually sold fancy weapons to the drug cartels that maintain the border management corrupt, and i heard one gun killed a USA border patrol person. Do you think ALL the border patrol wants illegal immigration to stop? No. They are used to chasing illegal immigrants with several months of savings in their pockets, IN CASH. Who would know how much?...

Jan. 28 2012 01:52 AM
listener

Is it not time for some intellectual honesty and to do away with all pretense and simply have the DNC conduct these debates and ask the questions?
If traditional values are so important to Latino voters than wouldn't they be more interested in questions about abortion and gay marriage than Gingrich's personal life?

Jan. 27 2012 11:40 AM

I think Gingrich is too angry to run this country. I also don't want to see some invasion of Cuba. The US spent 100+ years tampering with Central and South American countries and it wasn't pretty. The last thing we need is more Cubans dying or migrating here. Or worse, Cuban-Americans going to the island to claim family property and subjugating the natives with their accumulated wealth. It ain't gonna be pretty.

PS: Unless you're speaking Spanish, "Latino" is what Mexicans in America call themselves. You can just say "Hispanic" or Spanish-speakers.

Jan. 27 2012 10:09 AM
Charles

I should add; lawyers and parties in Gingrich's two divorce cases have indicated that Gingrich did NOT give two depositions. (Gingrich might be confused about what a deposition is, though I doubt it). So Gingrich's answer might have a level of falsity in it as well. As I already declared, I am not a Gingrich fan or a supporter.

But Jorge Ramos might be the most clueless anchorman in North or South America. When you are a journalist asking questions, you are supposed to listen to the answers.

Jan. 27 2012 09:42 AM
Charles

I am no great fan of Newt Gingrich or his Presidential candidacy.

But Newt was right, and Jorge Ramos seems to be completely clueless, about the questions-and-answers comparing Newt's marital indiscretions and Bill Clinton's indiscrections.

Jorge Ramos asked the questions; Newt answered them. A transcript of the exchange (The Takeaway played only part) demonstrates the point. I don't think Jorge Ramos was even listening to Gingrich's answers:

***
[TRANSCRIPT; JR = Jorge Ramos. NG = Newt Gingrich]
"JR: And I take full responsibility for this question. When you were Speaker of the House, you criticized President Clinton for having an extramarital affair.

NG: No, I criticized President Clinton for lying under oath in front of a federal judge, committing perjury, which is a felony, for which normal people go to jail.

JR: However, at the same time, you were doing exactly the same thing.

NG: But I wasn’t. I just pointed out. You didn’t hear my answer. I — look, I have been through two divorces. I have been through two divorces.

JR: Many people think that is hypocritical.

NG: That’s right. Because they listen to your question and they don’t listen to the facts. The fact is, I have been through two divorces. I have been deposed both times, under oath. Both times, I told the truth in the deposition because I know that it is — I am not a lawyer, so I know it’s a felony. Bill Clinton, who is a lawyer, is a Yale graduate — law school graduate. He knew he was lying under oath. He knew it was perjury. He knew it was a felony. And in fact, he lost his license to practice law in Arkansas as part of the deal. So –

JR: I understand that and you understand it, but people think that is hypocritical, to criticize President Clinton for doing the same thing that you were doing at the same time.

NG: Okay. There is someplace here where there’s a mental synapse missing. I didn’t do the same thing. I have never lied under oath. I have never committed perjury. I have never been involved in a felony. He was. I mean I had one of his closest friends come to see me, and he said to me, ‘You know, lots of people have done what he did.’ And I said, ‘That’s right, but they didn’t lie under oath about it.’ And the guy looked at me and said, ‘Well, you’re right. That’s a felony, and that’s a real problem.’"
[END TRANSCRIPT.]