The Year's Best and Worst Christmas Songs

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Takeaway begins the holiday season with a week-long "Remixing the Holidays" series. All week long, we’ll be talking with musicians, music lovers, writers, and you, our listeners, about the best songs of the season. Jon Solomon, a DJ who hosts an annual 24-hour Christmas show on Princeton University's WPRB gives us his best and worst Christmas music of the year.

Jon Solomon

Kristen Meinzer

Kevin Williams from Bronx, N.Y.

My favorite Christmas songs by far are "Little Drummer Boy" by Bob Seger and "Oh Holy Night" by Johnny Mathis.

Dec. 24 2012 03:40 PM
Jason from Berkley, Mi

My favorite by far is the cover of Mavis Staples' Christmas Vacation by Detroit's own Blasé Splee.

Dec. 23 2011 08:08 AM
nclune

For melancholy Christmas songs, there's nothing like Joni Mitchell's "River"...from her Blue album

It's comin' on Christmas
They're cuttin' down trees
They're putting up reindeer and singin' songs of joy and peace
I wish I had a river I could skate away on...

Dec. 22 2011 12:50 PM
Michael Cuda

To add to your Christmas jingle, if you dare
My dad used to sing:

"Up on the housetop , clob , clob , clob
Here comes that big fat old slob.
Dressed in his red suit , he looks like a Commie,
that's what I was told by daddy and mommy."

He was not a fan of this secular holiday borrowed in it's entirety from
pagan religious winter solstice festivities. In fact Christmas was illegal
in New England at it's inception. The purists realized it was heathen and
avoided it. Anyway I used to get a kick out of my pop's re-wording of
these songs

Dec. 21 2011 03:40 PM
Ed from Larchmont

I notice that many of these songs speak of Christmas as a generic season, but not enough speak of Christ - like Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, etc.

Dec. 21 2011 06:21 AM
kmarnyc from New York CIty

If we needed any reason NOT to contribute to public radio, this one easily fulfills the mission. Nothing like being asked to endure music already defined as awful.

Dec. 20 2011 07:55 AM