The Takeaway's Halloween Playlist

Friday, October 28, 2011

It could be a tense orchestral crash of instruments ("Thus Sprach Zarathustra"), or held in just a few feverish notes on a piano ("Halloween"). Whatever it is, the music from movies we think of as spooky plays a big part in raising those hairs on our neck and getting us to reach out for a (hopefully live) hand to hold. John Schaefer, host of New York Public Radio’s "Soundcheck" joins us with a playlist of some of the scariest music ever recorded.

Check out The Takeaway's Halloween playlist on Tumblr.

John Schaefer

Hsi-Chang Lin

Mayson

Firing Caitlin was stupid. The right wing hates you whether you kowtow to them or not, and firing a staff member for exercising First Amendment rights is cowardly and evil.

Oct. 30 2011 03:50 AM
Mr. MeTimbers from novi, mi

Great segment I really enjoyed this!

The first thing that came to my mind at the intro to this was the slow creeping piano part in Eyes Wide Shut; so I was really happy to hear the other song with the backwards chant featured.

Also really surprised to hear Burzum on the show!

Oct. 29 2011 02:44 PM
Gary Pollmiller from Parsons, Kansas

I know it's a Sci-Fi film, but the 1951 original, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was one that really scared me as a youngster. It has become one of my favorites, in my opinion much better than the recent remake. Perhaps it is the synthesized music which was used.

Oct. 28 2011 11:14 AM
Gary Pollmiller from Parsons, Kansas

Oct. 28 2011 11:07 AM
Mike Nelson from Denver, Colorado

Herzog's 1979 Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski. The opening credits panning the mummies in Guanajuato, Mexico accompanied by Popoh Vuh's music was fantastic.

Oct. 28 2011 09:54 AM
Ben from NYC

This one is gallow's humor with extra gallow's and my fave this year. Features dogbrain, with Bobby Watson on sax. Funny/spooky music video. "My Reprieve" by Dogbrain.

Oct. 28 2011 09:46 AM
margaret vandervoort

How about posting a playlist of the songs mentioned during the Soundcheck interview for those of us who are memory impaired? I really enjoyed the segment.

Oct. 28 2011 07:40 AM