Mississippi's Proposition 26 Radically Alters Abortion Laws

Friday, October 28, 2011

Human ovum (egg) and sperm. (flickr user wellcome images (cc:by-nc-nd))

On November 8, Mississippi voters will be making a decision which will have deep and lasting national implications for women’s contraceptive rights. If passed, Proposition 26, also known as "The Personhood Amendment," would say that life begins at the moment that a human egg is fertilized. This would give an egg, no matter the age, all of the human and legal rights afforded to a citizen.

For more on the national implications of this amendment we speak with Erik Eckholm, domestic correspondent for our partner The New York Times, and Rebecca Kiessling, national spokeswoman for Personhood U.S.A.

Erik Eckholm and Rebecca Kiessling

Jonathan

On the issue of rape... getting raped doesn't give you the right to murder.

Nov. 09 2011 04:20 PM
adam

Just the harsh truth...... so if your mother, sister, etc.... were raped, giving them the most traumatic experience of their life, they should not have a choice of whether or not to stop something that, "God willing", should never of happened?.... they should live with that burden?....... I would never wish that upon anyone, but it seems like some of yall dont seem to realize who this all could be hurting...... Be humane yourself, and think if it were YOU.

Nov. 09 2011 01:49 AM
Cole from MS

I would like to like to begin by saying that Prop 26 has been a truly polarizing subject. Reading each of these comments has been truly enlightening. Some have valid arguments, and others simply have been mislead or lied to. As to whether or not an embryo can feel pain, the nervous system, which would conduct any pain stimulus, is in primitive order by 22 days. The heart is beating by day 23. That, by the way, comes from my Embryology textbook from Medical School. So, to answer a question about knowing if if an embryo can feel pain, I would assume yes, at about the 22 day mark. Also, to address the birth control issue, in no way, shape, or form is birth control a relevant topic in prop 26. Preventative measures are just that, preventative. And miscarriages, which are beyond one's control, can not be legally held against a person in a viable court of law. That would be like holding a tornado on trial for murder. Science says that only the strong survive, so, obviously, fetuses without a chance for survival will spontaneously abort. I love when people with a lack of knowledge try to make arguments on secondhand information. Some of this stuff makes absolutely no sense.

Nov. 08 2011 11:02 PM
Frank from Walls, MS

My biggest problem with this initiative is "cloning or the equivalent thereof".

Cloning isn't even legal, the last I heard, so why would we put an amendment in the states constitution that includes those words?

And, if my high school biology still works, fertilization happens when sperm meets egg; that doesn't mean that the egg will develop into a life.

Nov. 08 2011 10:51 PM
Leah from Mississippi

Aren't all of you that are commenting glad that your mothers decided not to have you aborted? Don't you consider your life to be worth something? You were given a chance to live and grow, but some of you would agree that some should never have that opportunity. Some of you might want to think of it this way...one person's rights end where another person's begins. Yes, it's your body, ladies, but is there also not another person's body inside of yours? If allowed to live, won't this child grow into adulthood, and God willing, be able to think and do for themselves, just like you do now? So, are you saying that it is your right to take that other person's right to live away? YOU get to decide whether they are worthy of life or not? How many potentially wonderful people have been lost through abortion? Please think about that for awhile.

Nov. 08 2011 10:40 PM
Jonathan

"Legally" life starts when the government (in this country the people) says it does. But when it comes to the concept of humanity that is not the case. You cannot claim to be humane and murder an innocent human being "legal" or not. Any comparison of HUMAN life to any other is where your understanding fails. Designating any singular human life as being deserving of their rights requires that you consider all singular humans deserving of the same. Otherwise we have no rights that are worth anything if you draw a line within the groups of humans saying worthy and unworthy who's to say you don't change where that line is until there are no humans worthy of any rights.

Nov. 08 2011 04:40 PM
Daniel from Mississippi

Just the fact that we are voting on this is embarrassing to me. The fact that we are last in nearly every important category and concentrating on this ridiculous, unconstitutional proposition is sad. Although, this will quickly be shot down by powers beyond the bright minds of Mississippi voters, the results of the polls today will definitely be a factor whether or not I want to continue living in MS for much longer. People need to stop thinking of issues like this so much and realize this has absolutely nothing to do with running govt. Maybe if we let are officials concentrate on fixing education, roads, extreme poverty in the delta, and other areas we might see some improvement. Don't get me wrong, I love Mississippi and it will always be home. But until we start thinking logically and stop being manipulated by extreme radical groups with hidden agendas, I guess we will keep living in the last century. Get it together Mississippi. Stop throwing away rights that were promised to you in the Constitution.

Hail State.

Nov. 08 2011 04:10 PM
Shalia from Ms

I myself does not believe in abortion but people please read what the rest of 26 entails.. It's not just abortion. A child does and should have the right to live but what if people are rapped. That's not right to sit everyday and look into the eyes of your child and see your rapist.. No birth control would make MS more than the poorest state.. More people will become apart of the system and who wants to keep paying for others to live.. No meds during pregnancy is horrible. Everyone can't take that pain. If your face with the decision of either you make it or child does, you have no right to decide that it's YOU that wants to be saved.. There is more to this 26 then there leading on.. Having a miscarriage will be murder. That's out of your hand so your fine with doing time based on something you had no control over.. Smh!! Mississippi please get your information right!! Vote NO! It's not just abortion its other things that will one day effect you!!!

Nov. 08 2011 01:06 PM
julia from missisippi

i dont care about this i go someelsewhere to make abortion if i need it

Nov. 08 2011 11:21 AM
juice from world

so if i maturbate after this im a seriallkiller?

Nov. 08 2011 11:15 AM

Hey Carolyn from NYC,

Mind your own problems and stay out of the issues where you don't live. Like you said, "worry about your own problems". And as far as your own body, if you decide to have sex then live with the outcome, if you play then you PAY. You lost your "rights". And when did EVERYTHING become a right? Everyone seems to have rights except unborn children. Pigs, cows, chickens all have rights, just ask peta. But not unborm children, such a sad state of affairs.

Nov. 08 2011 10:31 AM
Susan

Yes, the egg has all the rights allowed to everyone, as long as they are not born gay and want to get married.

Nov. 08 2011 10:17 AM
Barbara from Mississippi

I am pro choice (not only on this issue) I will vote NO today and every day. I an others have the right to determine when and what happens to our body.
How will this affect organ donors....they are (persons hood) people with a brain and a beating heart, yet we "pull the plug" here and it's a wonderful thing. Some may argue eminent death, well so are FERTILIZED ova that implant outside the uterus ie ectopic (aka tubal pregnancies)

IUDs are not the only birth control that will be in jeopardy, please refer to the full Bill of proposition 26, it's a full page of restrictions.

That's just one of the conflicts with this issue, some people want to pick and choose and twist the facts.

Nov. 08 2011 10:15 AM
Michael from Carriere, MS

Your comments don't add to a hill of beans. If you are not living and voting in Mississippi, shut up you have no dogs in this race. Good or bad the bill is a start to determined when life starts legally. As far as church and state, all the constitution says is that the government cannot dictate what religion you shall practice or follow.

Nov. 08 2011 07:52 AM
Anna from Natchez, MS

I recently moved to Mississippi from out west and I heard about propostion 26 and I am appalled! For me abortion wouldn't be an option because it's not a choice that I would make for myself...But to tell a woman you have to have this baby is disgusting. From what I can tell Mississippi is a very poor state and if we force these girls to have their babies then things will get even worse....how is a 18 year old girl with no money no job going to buy diapers, clothes, blankets, medicine, bottles, formula...she wont be able to so either her child will be neglected which is child abuse or she'll get on a state program where taxpayers support her...and i know i'm not the only person sick of paying for other peoples screw ups. Everywhere I look here theres places that need improvement streets, police, schools, parks. and it will only get worse if proposition 26 passes

Nov. 08 2011 04:33 AM
nipher from stl

{ Zinnie from Alberta
@melody from michigan

"@ jim noonan
A baby prior to birth receives oxygen thru the placenta if that oxygen is cut off the child will die. I cannot believe that you would be so ignorant as to try and use scripture in an attempt to say that God would condone the killing of a baby in the womb. I will pray for you and your soul because you are truly blinded."

There are so many things wrong with that statement. None of it is true. PLEASE take a biology class. Babies do NOT breathe in the womb. }

Nov. 07 2011 11:18 PM
Zinnie from Alberta

@melody from michigan

"@ jim noonan

Nov. 07 2011 08:13 PM
Jonathan

Being that a fertilized egg comes of two parties the right of one cannot be outweighed by the other but since it is entirely unique within a genetic point of view it has its own rights. Question 1 parasitic...yes and so are infants. Question 2 location within another individual...yes and so are conjoined twins. Question 3 capacity of thought...??? who knows if you do you're psychic and I don't believe in psychics. Question 4 religion... yes the concept of HUMANITY is a religion.

Nov. 07 2011 03:43 PM
wowzers from MN

According to the National statistics, Mississippi is the poorest state in the union, ranks well below the rest of the Nation in education, they have the highest rate of STD's and teen pregnancies...and these are the people who are going to lead us into "human rights" reform? And by lead us I mean take away a woman's basic rights...someone please stop this insanity and educate these on what life is like in this century!

Nov. 07 2011 03:23 PM
chelse

kk jus to make it clear this is not men wanting us women to make this decision... so who ever came up and said that your about a bunch of retards.... ABORTION IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!! Its like they say if your responsible to have sex well be prepared for the consquences that may come with it and should be repsonsible for your actions... if you can't responsible then keep your damn legs closed.. its not hard... being raped is a tragic thing believe me i know... but what i responsible person would do is go get medical help immediately so there wont be a pregnancy that you are not wanting and didnt ask for... if u wait a month and decide to get an abortion shame on you and you should learn to deal with it and accept it for what it is... cause at the time you had that right to do something about it.. and if you didnt well.. its on you.. and about people saying there wanting to take birth control and plan b away is horse shi*t by the way... there wanting to do away with birth control pills wit IUD's.. so if your wanting to get on her and write stuff get your facts straight... VOTE YES FOR LIFE. CAUSE EVERYBODY DESERVES TO HAVE LIFE EVEN FOR THE LITTLE ONES WHO CANT YET SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES..

Nov. 07 2011 01:27 PM
Ricky from Southaven

VVarnell,

Can you tell me exactly when conception occurs? I'll wait...........

No, you cannot. What the medical realm can tell me is that it occurs within 7 days (this is the approxiamte lifespan of sperm). Part of that initial rape treatment is the "morning after pill". This will be outlawed; however, the antibiotics and STD prophylaxis will continue. These meds are high dose administrations and can inflict serious harm to the fetus (which will now have a chance at survival). Take a moment to read this...

I pray that it's not your child or loved one that needs medical attention and is unable to recieve it because of this proposition's success.

Nov. 07 2011 01:02 PM
vvarnell from OS MS

First of all the issue here is plainly should abortion be against the law...i vote yes..once egg and sperm unite it is definitley a human being...2ndly, the only b/c in question is the iud...it actually allows sperm and egg to unite and then destroys it...most other forms of b/c don't allow egg to drop so no question of their being a pregnancy or viable fetus...lastly, in the case of rape if you are a responsible person you will seek medical care immediatly and there are medical procedures available in this case to prevent conception prior to sperm reaching the egg, meaning no viable fetus...vote yes to prop 26

Nov. 07 2011 12:27 PM
Michael

First I must say that I am pro-life so I have bias about my way of relating my concerns. I also know that Roe vs. Wade was passed because she lied and claimed she was raped when she was not but the lawyers told her to, now she is pro-life herself and actively fighting against the decision she helped bring about. Now all that being said I have a problem with this proposal because it leaves many things out and to the interpretations of the legislature. Basically it is saying "You must pass the bill to see what is in it." Accidentaly miscarriage can be defined as murder? And discarded fertilized embryos can be considered an act of murder? Too much is left out and I don't think we should leave that much power in the hands of legislators. I believe life begins at conception but I just don't think this proposition is the right way to go.

Nov. 07 2011 09:21 AM
Sam from Valdosta, GA

Honestly, no man or woman has the right to tell me what I can or cannot do to my body. I have a friend that had to get an abortion to save her life due to a tumor that developed on the placenta. If she hadn't I terminated her pregnancy, her child was not guaranteed to make it even after birth and she was more than likely not going to make it either. So do politicians have the right to pass laws that endanger a woman's life and force a child to be born that may suffer after being born? No. They have no right. We are protected from cruel and unusual punishment by law. Couldn't you consider forcing someone to go through this situation to give birth and that process ultimately killing not only the child but the miter as well? Ultimately, it is our choice. My friend is pregnant again and the baby is healthy, no tumor at all. If she had been made to give birth, she wouldn't be here today experiencing what child bearing is supposed to be like: a gift. I'm against willy nilly abortion, but victims of rape, incest or because of health reasons should be allowed to choose.

Nov. 07 2011 08:51 AM
Kate Lyn

Its the womens choice. simple as that. I dont think its selfish that i want to choose what happens to my body.

Nov. 06 2011 11:31 PM
Mark from Alabama

Simple question: Is 'it' human? If 'it' is not human, then what is it? A monkey? a dog? No, 'it' is human, in every biologically determinable way, and that baby deserves the same protections under the law that you have. 99.5% of those women who choose to abort a life already made their choice by having sex voluntarily. It was their body then, now there is someone else involved.

Nov. 06 2011 09:05 PM
Bob from UK

I would like to donate the sperm to impregnate every woman that votes for this and then, once they find out they are pregnant with a complete stranger's baby, and not even having the trauma being raped, would be happy to carry on with the pregnancy, and also how many of their husbands would be happy to support my off spring as one of their own, like they expect every one else to do. Bunch of hypocrites that cannot see further than their own self righteousness.

Nov. 06 2011 06:10 PM
Holly, not from MS

Abortion is a personal decision, not a public debate. Simple as that.

Nov. 06 2011 03:23 PM
Jason

I would like to make a point that I haven’t seen or heard anywhere.

Even the most staunch supporters of 26 acknowledge that it takes away even more freedom, which in my book is enough to vote against it. But these supporters say “We are Christians, and as Christians we are against abortion, period.” I believe that the dogmatic and inflexible feed on affirmation from their peers, so it doesn’t surprise me that none of them are looking at the issue from a truly Christian perspective.

Not even the holiest of holy on Earth will tell you he or she knows God’s plan or why God allows – among many things – abortion to happen. Yet, here we have another example of holy people justifying interference in other people’s lives. Those who feel a sense of duty to collectively interfere with other people’s rights in order to protect embryos from being terminated through abortion are also forcing a little person who is guaranteed a place in heaven next to God (embryos don’t sin) to live here on Earth. This is where sin and sickness and pain await them.

Supporters of 26 are taking it upon themselves to strip away that guarantee from these little angels, and THAT just might be what God intended for them in the first place. So I ask supporters of proposition 26, do YOU want to THAT to answer for if you make it to Heaven in the first place?

Nov. 06 2011 12:49 PM
melody from michigan

@ jim noonan

Nov. 06 2011 03:51 AM

Elizabeth your ignorance of the Constitution is sad. There is no right to privacy in the 14th amendment. That is the fourth and it is not a right to privacy it is a right to be free from UNREASONABLE search and seizure.

Nov. 06 2011 12:47 AM
Emily from mississippi from Bay St Louis MS

I live on the gulf coast, I am 31 and single. I also work as a 2 year old teacher. I am responsible for 10 little lives. Lives which I love. I am also against this proposition. I have have the opportunity to see what an unfit, unprepared and gennerally disinterested parent does to a child. I commend women who have the capabilities to decide that they are not ready for a child. It's inhumane to to put these kids through what some of my parents do. I have kids who aren't bathed for weeks at a time. Left in dirty dipers until they are brought to me. Some don't even care to put dipers on their kid. As far as adoption and their being some wonderul family that would take care of an unwanted child, the orphanages and adoption agencies are already over crowded. Taking away birth control is just completely stupid. I haven't been sexually active in over two years but take the pill because my cycle is irregular and I have other reproductive issues. The pill keeps me from having my period every two weeks and helps with cramping. What do women in my situation do if this law passes? Suffer? I love this state, but the men that run it will and are setting us back to the days of dirty knives and coat hangers. Are they gonna put women back in the kitchen next? Will it be illegal for me to have a job? Will I be ostracized because I'm a single woman? While they are at it let's just go on and make premarital sex illegal too. That'd fix the problem. The saddest part of all of this is that most of the people I've talked to in my state don't really know what they are agreeing to. They just see the headline and skip the fine print. I don't know if I'd have and abortion but I sure don't want my right to choose taken away.

Nov. 05 2011 06:01 PM
bob

I understand that in states where this is already in effect, innocent women have gone to jail. One woman, who previously lived in a 'non-prop 26' state, was told by her doctor not to have a C-section due to certain health risks. She moved with her husband to a prop-26 state for job reasons and gave birth there. She was urged in the delivery room to take a C section (something about dangers to the child), but she refused due to the dangers to herself. She gave birth the natural way, through the birth canal (as is her right no matter how you spin it). The child didn't make it, so she was basically charged with murder.

Nov. 05 2011 08:50 AM
Leslie Strong from North Carolina

Why do men think they can make a decision for woman on this subject? You will never know what it is like to be pregnant. I love that most woman end up taking care of the children on their own after the MAN leaves them...but men are going to try and tell us what we should do in this situation.

Nov. 04 2011 03:00 PM
Cody Byrd from mississippi

Food for thought....If you become pregnant without intentionally knowing it, you are still responsible for your actions. Abortions in my eyes are just for people who are irresponsible and do not want to deal with their responsiblities as a human being. Wear a condom etc. Just be responsible and women/men would not be in the situation to have to make a decision about aborting their responsibilities . If a woman thinks about getting an abortion, she is probably going to be an unfit mother anyways, but, someone out there would care for the child without the irresponsbile woman killing the damn thing. I have two wonderful little girls, both not planned. I am 25 and i currently pay 1200/month for childcare. It has ruined my life financially for the time being, but money isn't everyting when you get to look into the eyes of the children that my wife and I could have easily been selfish and just killed them with an abortion. I took responsibility for my actions. I do understand some women absolutely should not have a child, albeit, their too young, drug additcted, whatever the case may be. You are killing a creation that you have made in an irresponsible manner. I can't just wait till my kids turn their terrible two's and say, you know what honey, this is exhausting, lets just kill the kids and start over so we can be selfish and live our lives without this added stress of having children. I believe that every woman should have the right to decide what happens to their own body, but that starts at the beginning with wearing a condom, birth control, or simply just not having irresponsible sex at all until you are fit to have a child. This is not rocket science people. It is common sense. People who do not have kids = Pro Abortion, People who already have kids = Anti-abortion. Anyone who has ever had a child and still believes in abortion, God save your soul. Most women just don't want to be told what to do with their body, but could care less about the idea that they are killing human life, once again, selfish and irresponsible. Even if they pass the law, women will still have babies and throw them in the dumpster to avoid the pain and stress associated with caring for another person. To the one's that believe in abortion i say this to you, you are alive and well because someone gave you life and took responsiblity and stressed so that you can have everlasting life here on earth and in heaven, the least you can do is pass the heritage on. I understand some people cannot have children, but the circle of life is not complete unless we live our children behind to care for our world once we are gone. Selfishness is the root of all evil.

Nov. 04 2011 09:28 AM
Kate Lyn from NY

Prop 26 SHOULD NOT PASS!!!! Not one person on this planet can say with a 100% certainty that you would or would not have an abortion until you were put in the position to decide. The people that are pushing for this law know what it entails while the people they are trying to pursade only think it is to get rid of abortion. Get it together Mississippi. This is not just about abortion its about the right to choose what to do with your body. People are saying how do you know that an embroy doesnt feel anything...well how do you know it does! If this law is passes we are all screwed. Think about this, if this law is passed and you happen to become pregnant and dont know it yet and maybe you drink a little to much or have a fall and you end up having a miscarrage you body will become a crime scene investigation. Everyone should have the right to choose and why should anyone else care what you do with your life. WHY DO YOU CARE? it is your life to live. Im not saying that people should be able to have a million abortions but it is no ones choice but your own on what to do with your body. Get educated before you vote!

Nov. 03 2011 08:53 PM
Jim noonan

Proposition 26 is the exact reason our founding fathers were reluctant to give
the common man the right to vote.They were afraid a group of uneducated misguided
religious zealots would get enough people to vote for a law that would infringe on the
religious rights of the general population,just the thing they were escaping from in
Europe.Freedom equals having a choice.Right now both sides have the right to choose.
They want to take away our right to choose,not what the founding fathers envisioned for
our great country.Our position and beliefs are just as valid as theirs! An egg is NOT a
person.The bible says the soul doesn't enter the body until the baby takes his/her first
breath, "Gen 2:7" And the Lord formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into
his nostrils the breath of life; and then man became a living soul"
In Uganda American evangelicals have convinced Christians in that country to pass
a law making homosexuality punishable by death! This is the first step to a totalitarian society!
We'll become just like in Iran! Scary how radical Moslems and radical Christians
think a like. Right or left everyone should be outraged at the arrogance of
people trying to take away your right to decide such important questions especially when
what you would chose is legal.Even the National Right to Life organization and the
Catholic church oppose this law.They believe this extremism could cause a backlash
and end up hurting their cause. Pray they are right! Strike a blow for Mississippi,strike
a blow for America,strike a blow for freedom of religion vote NO!

Nov. 03 2011 05:41 PM
Will Smith from Mississippi

James from mississippi i support you completly, that is the most right minded thing i have heard in this whole channel. Vote no on prop 26.

Nov. 03 2011 01:02 PM
Sylvia from Mississippi

So, to James in Mississippi: you were not a human until you consciously had a memory? What is the earliest time you remember? How do you know that embryos can't feel, emote, think, etc. Do you remember? Biology itself recognizes that there are different forms of biological life and each one can only be what its genetic makeup designs for it. A human life--biological life--is a person from conception. It should be protected by our constitution as it is. But because we try to justify our own selfish wants or live by fear (if I have this baby....) we decide that this person is a villain. We condemn it to death without allowing it a defense. We say it can't be a human because I can't hear her, feel her, see her. After all, compared to me, what is this thing inside me--just a parasite. Prop 26 intends to give this defenseless being a defense. Vote yes for Prop 26.

Nov. 02 2011 10:55 PM
Kim G from Florida

If I lived in MS I would vote YES....It's too bad the rest of this country doesn't have these same type laws....It has nothing to do with YOUR rights....It has to do with the unborn baby's rights!! Don't you get it???? An ultrasound can determine as early as 4 weeks the baby's gender....Are you really going to stand (sit, etc) there and tell me that it's about YOUR rights??? What about the baby's rights.....and yes, it is a baby!!!! And by the way. ....I hope Florida is next in line for this to be on the ballot!!

Nov. 02 2011 09:32 PM
Carolyn from Mississippi

For Mississippi to be so behind with other states on so many levels, why are we picking this battle? There is so much more to this than simply aboration, I hope that the people of Mississippi will read about it before they vote. I feel that many will vote "no" once they are educated.

Nov. 02 2011 05:56 PM
Ashley from Mississippi

Makes me ashamed to live in Mississippi. I should move to Alabama atleast there i will still have my rights, and i cant hit with a open hand and not a fist.

Nov. 02 2011 04:21 PM
James from Mississippi

This is a classic example of emotion overpowering everything reasonable in society.

The entire bill is built on the logical fallacy that "Potential is equal to actual". The vast majority of fertilized eggs do not become children, the vast majority of them actually die out within the first weeks of fertilization before the mother even knows she is pregnant. Are we to mourn the billions of 2mm long non-sentient biologically unsound embryos that are lost without realization every decade? Of course not, because these 2mm long embryos aren't sentient, don't feel pain, don't have emotions, don't have memories, don't have experiences.

The pro-life movement tries to blur the line between Human Life and Biological Life. The concept of human life is comprised of many things including, memories, emotions, sentience, etc.

Biological life is merely chemical reactions.

For instance, if I took a human body and removed the brain but kept it alive using machines, I would not call that a "Human life" but instead, "biological life".

Without the qualities that make humans, human-- it is a misnomer to call a carbon based assembly a human life. Biologically active sure, but not alive in the human sense.

Nov. 02 2011 11:40 AM
Balls Fargas

Thanks, MS, for realizing that an acorn is the same thing as an oak tree... Idiots.

Nov. 02 2011 08:01 AM
Sylvia from Mississippi

Our constitution provides equal protection under the law for all human beings. Prop 26 intends to insure that the definition of human being includes those in the very earliest stage of development, no matter how useless, pretentious, selfish, dependent they are. Do not define a baby, fetus, embryo as a parasite. It is a human. It can be nothing else. Every "animal" on earth is conceived in a way that could be described as a dependent being, but becomes independent. A true parasite must continually have a host body for nurishment.
A human being develops in the womb and at the proper time, leaves it. At that point, it still needs care and cannot behave as an independent mature person. So, should our definition of parasite extend to the "born" as well as the "unborn"? Until it can function without demanding nurishment, cleaning, care, air, etc., should we let he/she die without penalty? Or, even euthanize he/she? Babies are a pain, especially with colic, diarhhea, crying, having to be fed. Why don't we say that a baby is not a human being until he/she can tie his own shoes, dress himself, get his own food, brush his teeth, take a bath.....
Let's vote yes on Prop 26 before someone decides that children under the age of 6 can be disposed of if they are an inconvenience, or we change our mindss about wanting them.

Nov. 01 2011 10:05 PM
JMCKY47

If Prop 26 is passed in MS, would it then mean that the defination of murder would be greatly expanded? Would a pregnant woman be accused of murder simply because she did not have health insurance and therefore could not afford pre-natal care and the fetus was harmed and died. Just one of many examples

Nov. 01 2011 03:36 AM
benz72 from Not in MS, and glad of it

The argument that life begins at conception is provably false. There can be no conception without a LIVE egg and a LIVE sperm. Therefore, life MUST be present prior to that event. Q.E.D.

Oct. 31 2011 03:07 PM
Olivia from Jackson, MS

I just want to addres one comment to help the uneducatied/opinionated: THE PLAN B pill, a.k.a. Morning After Pill, a.k.a. Fall back pill IS NOT AN ABORTION PILL!!! IT DOES NOT, and NEVER has Killed a FERTILIZED egg!!! The Plan B pill creates extra fluid between a woman's UNfertilized egg and the uterus... therefore, PREVENTING the sperm to penetrate the egg. Sperm isn't ALL POWERFUL. A simple build up of fluid will stop it. If the pill is taken AFTER the egg is fertilized, the Fertilized egg will NOT be harmed by the extra fluid. Please know what you're talking about before voting to create an increase in poverty and population. The one's who can afford to, are ON birth control and traveling outside of MS for abortions. The babies left will be born to women below the poverty line.

Oct. 31 2011 03:02 PM
Kris from Akron

Having an abortion as a form of birth control is absolutely wrong but taking away the right to decide to have one is even more wrong. I was faced with a decision 24 years ago, and after double, triple testing, and amniocentisis..I was spared to go through with that decision. That child is wonderful, bright, educated and my right hand. It was my decision ! If my daughter today would be raped and become pregnant, IT IS HER DECISION. I am happy that I do not live in MS and never will. God Help us all...

Oct. 31 2011 12:16 PM
Angie Harmon

I am a Mississippi woman, and I will vote YES on 26. I believe everyone has a Right to their own opinion, BUT to call a fetus/baby a parasite is just cruel! Zygote, embryo, fetus, baby....whatever you want to call him/her, is still a living, HUMAN BEING, and they should be defined as one.

Oct. 31 2011 11:06 AM
frank

Just watch this and then tell me you will not change your mind

Oct. 31 2011 10:47 AM

@Galerouth
"and abortion doesn't harm the fetus---it's a non-sentient being..."

So dummy, when does a fetus become sentient? When it pops out of the vag? Or is it before?

Oct. 30 2011 04:36 PM
Naruto from Tracy

This new attempt Prop 26 goes too far. It specifically makes "No exception for Rape and Incest Victim's", ................................

And No One Ever has The Right Under Any Circumstance Ever To Dare Expect that any Woman or young Child has any duty to a baby that was forced upon them by a monster. END OF STORY!!.................

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian Myself and I choose not to forgive the piece of !@#$ Bishop of either Sao Paulo or Rio, BRAZIL who had the Unchristian Guts to tell a young 12 year old incest victim raped by her monster father. That it was her duty to God to carry and give birth to twins. Shame to this piece of garbage Bishop for daring to verbally voice such and even more shame to him for committing the unfathomable act of ex-communicating the Doctor who saved this poor suffering child from any further suffering than she has already had forced upon her.

This Monster of a Bishop actually acted like he was a victim due to the Newspaper's, TV News, and Blogsters viciously shredding him the way he deserved. Instead of taking his lumps like a man , he dared to strike out at the Media and General Public for daring to so publicly criticize and question him.

It's never a rape or incest victims duty to give birth to a child forced upon them in a monstrous criminal attack!!!!!

Oct. 30 2011 04:42 AM
stephanie from MISSISSIPPI

I think abortion should be agianst the law. It is a life by the time your far enough along to find out your pregnate, therefore it is murder. As far as birth control goes Im not exactly sure where I stand. Most forms of birth control prevents the egg from ever being fertilzed not terminates the pregnatecy after its began. If conception has already happened like with the morning after pill known as Plan B it is murder. I personally think if a baby is conceived God has a plan for that child and we shouldnt end its life just because we dont think we are ready for it. If your not woman enough to take care of a baby then you should close your legs and not get pregnate in the first place.

Oct. 30 2011 03:14 AM

@ Rebecca from Stillwater, OK

"Your kidney is not a separate being,"

dummy, the point of my comment was about not being forced to something against your will and legal rights.

you can't be forced to donate your kidney , thus a woman can't be forced to donate her body to an unwanted human parasitic fetus....it's a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, which makes this bill unconstitutional from the get-go.

you just don't care or your pride won't let you admit that you are wrong, thus you keep using these appeal to emotion and strawman fallacies to make the ignorant sheeple think you have an valid argument--but i'm not an ignorant sheep and i see though your pro-life schizophrenic fascist BS.

when did i say the fetus in this human abortion debate wasn't human? please, stop grasping at straws---it's annoying and proves you have no logical argument.

"Do other human stages of life also not have any right to life? Maybe the disabled, or the elderly?"

non-sequitur.

" it is morally wrong to harm another person. Abortion is no different, it is harming (ending the life of) a separate human being, therefor it is morally wrong."

thanks for the circular argument fallacy, the fact is no fetus has a right to life by the use a woman's body against her will and legal, and abortion doesn't harm the fetus---it's a non-sentient being....so abortion harms your pride, and your morality is moot to my will and legal rights to abort an unwanted fetus, that you won't lift a finger to help out with the pregnancy, L&D, and child rising for 18+ years.

thanks for admitting the truth, you just care about a woman's sexual habits, of which you have no authority of over, thus is none of your business---worry about the child dying over Africa...oh, of course, you don't care about them, either.

Oct. 29 2011 10:26 AM
marus

Yes Elizabeth, It will be challenged and sent to the Supreme Court after is suspended by a Federal district court and it will be found unconstitutional after a big waste of time and money. That's the way all of this futile, feel-good, pointless legislation.

Oct. 29 2011 12:43 AM
Cynthia M from Oxford, MS

Ok...abortion laws I can understand...some people do use abortion as a primary means of birth control and that should be the focus...but to tell a raped woman that she has to carry a constant reminder of her trauma is not and SHOULD NEVER BE the state of MS's decision. To tell a woman that she cannot take birth control to prevent bringing a child into the world that she is not mentally, physically, emotionally, or financially READY to care for is not and SHOULD NEVER BE THE STATE OF MS's decision. If you want to play the "religious" card. We were born sinners. MAN cannot save us because God has already done so. BY LAW, separation of CHURCH and STATE. Moral of the story: This law is 100% UNCONSTITUTIONAL and goes against the very RELIGION people are claiming it in the name of! If I choose to "live in sin" and want to take the necessary steps to prevent pregnancy the STATE OF MS HAS NO RIGHT TO TELL ME THAT I CAN'T...what I do with my body is between me and God...If this law passes, I expect to see laws against tobacco and alcohol follow because if I, as a woman has no say so in what I choose to do with my body in the state of MS, NO one, including MEN should have that right either.

Oct. 28 2011 04:49 PM
Nitrim Quest

So, now, what do we do with an ectopic pregnancy? What doctor will go and murder those "humans"? How about all the fertilized eggs at the infertility clinics - who shall face the manslaughter (drowning?) charges to flush these "humans" down the toilet? For the obtuse - consider the distinction between a human-becoming and a human-being.

Oct. 28 2011 01:35 PM
Rebecca from Stillwater, OK

@galerouth

Your kidney is not a separate being, it cannot develop into one, it has the exact genetic code that every cell in your body has, therefore it is a part of you. A fetus is a developing human being, it has a different genetic code that you do, and is simply another stage of human life. It will not magically develop into something else (say, a puppy) as genetically it is a human.

So it simply has no right to life because it is too small? Or doesn't look human yet? Or is inside a woman's womb (which please tell me where else a human can or should develop)? Then you are hugely discriminatory. Do other human stages of life also not have any right to life? Maybe the disabled, or the elderly?

You have drank the koolaid my friend. You have bought the lie that no one can tell us what to do with our bodies. Everyone and their bodies are subject to laws. If you choose, you can rape, murder, and harm others, but you will be held accountable for it because while you can do those things, it is morally wrong to harm another person. Abortion is no different, it is harming (ending the life of) a separate human being, therefor it is morally wrong.

In the end, if a woman does not want to become pregnant, then there are hundreds of ways to not become pregnant, the 100% most effective of those is not to engage in sexual activity. That is the choice! Choose to be more responsible and accountable for your actions, not to kill the human that is in the way.

Oct. 28 2011 11:37 AM

Rebecca from Stillwater, OK

you have no logical argument, just like the pro-life chick in this video.

"but is an issue of the most basic human right: the right to life"

no, it doesn't---no human has a right to life or any due process rights by the 14th amendment to use another human's body or body parts AGAINST their will, civil and constitutional rights: that's why you are not force to donate your kidney---the human fetus is no exception; this is protected by the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.

what you support, just like a chick in the video, is reproductive slavery of american women....and that is unconstitutional by the 13th amendment.

Oct. 28 2011 11:16 AM
Rebecca from Stillwater, OK

This issue is not all about religion, but is an issue of the most basic human right: the right to life. All human life has value at any stage of life, regardless of age, sex, or race. It's a scientific fact that an human embryo and fetus is just that, a human life. ALL human life should be protected and have equal rights under our law. If we can destroy human life simply because they are a "burden" or "unwanted" then what do we value?? It's a selfish & self-centered choice to kill another simply because they are in the way of our temporary desires. Love says, 'I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.' Abortion says, 'I sacrifice the other person for the good of myself.' And the perfect point: The parents of the fetus are responsible for assisting it because they are in fact responsible for bringing into existence a being that is needy by nature and thus are responsible for its neediness.” Thus, parents share an affirmative legal duty toward their unborn child who, in his vulnerability, is utterly dependent upon their help and assistance–even more so than their born child, for whom other competent adults could care."

Oct. 28 2011 11:07 AM

this is science:
fetus ( NOT A BABY, THEY ARE BORN...GOOGLE THE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT CHART) is a parasite because the classification of the biological relationship that is based on the behavior of one organism (the fetus) and how it relates to the woman's body:

as a zygote, it invaded the woman's uterus using its Trophoblast cells and hijacked her immune system by using Neurokinin B---so her body won't KILL it, and stole her nutrients to survive and causes her harm or potential DEATH!

"it is also possible for a symbiotic relationship to exist between two organisms of the same species."
http://www.answers.com/topic/symbiosis---–Gale's Science of Everyday Things:
Symbiosis

"an animal or plant that lives in or on another (the host) from which it obtains nourishment. The host does not benefit from the association and is often harmed by it"

if a man can kill his tapeworm at anytime, so should a woman abort her unwanted human parasitic fetus at anytime, too.

Oct. 28 2011 10:58 AM
gale routh

don't worry, this bill is unconstitutional...reproductive slavery is unconstitutional.

ABORTION IS A CIVIL AND CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT SUPPORTED BY THE RIGHTS TO PRIVACY, THE EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE OF 14TH AMENDMENT, AND THE 13TH AMENDMENT.

consensual sex =/= a legal, binding contract for an unwanted fetus to live.

Oct. 28 2011 10:54 AM
marcia

I think that if this only has to do with abortion then yes it should be illegal. If you want to keep your woman rights one being keeping your legs closed then by all means do that. But in this case you are taking a right away. The right to LIVE! And to me thats not left up to anyone.

Oct. 28 2011 10:12 AM
Ed from Larchmont

This is the argument: does life begin at conception. If it does, and science points to that point as the only real dividing line, then it should be protected.
Roe v. Wade allowed this out: ‘If the society ever decides that life begins at conception, then plaintant’s case falls to the ground.’ (Abortion is illegal.)

Oct. 28 2011 09:37 AM
Jane Turbov from Chicago

Oh yeah, I'm all for it. As a matter of fact, I think we should make the destruction of all fertilized eggs in all species illegal. For example, if you come across that telltale sign of a fertilized egg when you're making your pancakes, you should immediately report the company that is responsible.

Oct. 28 2011 09:25 AM
Jade from brooklyn

Prop 26 is a huge leap backwards in the woman's rights movement. We've moved away from the 50's homemaker to the modern career woman. A woman is a human with legal rights under U.S. law too, so why must our rights be limited just because one egg is fertilized?

Oct. 28 2011 09:10 AM
Meredith from Yonkers

The idea of when life begins is a religious doctrine - many rabbis teach that life begins when the head crowns. The first amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," so at least on the federal level adopting, say, the Catholic view on when life begins would be unconstitutional and would infringe upon my right to practice my religion.

Oct. 28 2011 09:03 AM
Carolyn from NYC

Why cant people just mind their own business? Religious right wings are constantly suffocating other people's rights. What goes on in my body is my business- worry about your own problems.

Oct. 28 2011 09:01 AM
elizabeth wheeler from Staten Island

How can the assumption be made that the state has a right to eliminate birth control choices? Roe v Wade is based on the right to privacy under the due process clause in the Fourteenth Amendment. Can they really believe that this won't be challeneged and sent to the Supreme Court? Next thing you know they'll be telling us we don't have a choice between California or Florida oranges.

Oct. 28 2011 07:24 AM