Remembering 9/11: Songs Picked By Our Listeners

Monday, September 05, 2011

Today we're starting a week-long series in remembrance of 9/11, ten years later. Our co-producer, WNYC, asked listeners what music they would like to hear, as they think about the events of ten years ago. Something comforting, to celebrate being American and a New Yorker? Thousands of listeners weighed in. We're playing some of the songs our listeners picked, and hearing about the selections from WNYC's Chris Bannon and Kathleen Ehrlich. What songs would you suggest? Leave your thoughts in the comments section.

Contributors:

Chris Bannon and Kathleen Ehrlich

Dave B from NJ

I'm late to the party, but besides Bruce Springsteen's 9/11-related "The Rising" album, I sometimes go back to an album called "Vigil" by member of the Greenwich Village songwriters circle that includes Suzanne Vega. The album came out in early 2002 and reflects the performer's thoughts soon after the 9/11 attacks.
--Dave B
music blogger at http://podcastparty.blogspot.com

Sep. 12 2011 03:48 PM
antonio rodrigues from portugal

i´m from the azores,portugal i would love to here michael jackson,heal the world because we nead peace and humanity in our world and new york city is a good example of humanity when people come together and rise from the rubble stronger then ever.

Sep. 10 2011 09:08 PM
Kristy Beroth from Winston-Salem

Please play "What More Can I Give" by Michael Jackson. With the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 coming up tomorrow this would be a perfect song because What More Can all of us give?

Sep. 10 2011 04:23 PM
rose-ellen from jackson hts.

Bob Dylans' songs from his album Time out of Mind.Especially the song with the words-"the air is getting hotter there's a rumbling in the sky,... they tell me everything's gonna be all right ,but I don't know what all right even means". Also the song Follow sung by Ritchie Havens-with the words;"The sun and moon both are right-we'll see them soon through days of night...for now darkness blinds the sky with all its' light."[cathartic words and music] .And the Buffy st. marie song My country tis of Thee ,with the words;"The eagles of war whose wings lent you glory they were never no more then carrion crows-pushed the wrens from their nests ,stole their eggs change their story," about the victims of war and terrorism.Also the leonard Cohen profoundly spiritual song If it be your will-about human vulnerbility and frailty.

Sep. 10 2011 02:48 PM
andre from oporto,portugal

I my name is andre filipe and i'm from oporto, portugal. please MANDY MOORE ONLY HOPE. I think its a awesome music to remember that day. i remember in that day, it was like 13:46 hours or something, 8:46 in new york , I was lunching and I saw that news on tv. I didn't quite understood in the moment what's going on, but then someone told me, a plane hit the WTC. i had a uncle in there, not in the wtc but nearby. i was terrified, i thought he was dead. all that time without stablish a comunnication with him. i ran to the airport nearby my house and i asked about the flights to new york . all flight to new york had been cancelled, they told me. my god it was the most terrifying moment of my life . but he made it and he his alive. all my condolences to the people dead and to their family.

Sep. 10 2011 01:51 PM
cheryl from Lansing, Michigan

Please play What More Can I Give by Michael Jackson. It's a powerful song of unity, and was sung at a benefit concert called United We Stand-What More Can I Give, on October 21, 2001, at RFK Stadium in Washington D. C. in tribute of the victims of 9/11.

Sep. 09 2011 08:05 PM
Lila Ramkey from Charleston, WV

Please play "What More Can I Give" by Michael Jackson. The song was written by him specifically for the victims of 9/11.

Sep. 09 2011 04:08 PM
Viola Williams from Baltimore, Md

I would like to hear Michael Jackson "What More Can I Give:

Sep. 09 2011 04:05 PM
Viola Williams from Baltimore, Md

I would like to heat Michael Jackson's What More Can I Give

Sep. 09 2011 03:56 PM
milo from battery park city

'Lucky' by Radiohead. Wouldn't have made it through the rest of the year without this song.

Sep. 09 2011 01:31 PM
Madame Defarge

I played the hell out of Stevie Wonder's Love's in Need of Love in the weeks after Sept. 11, 2001.

Sep. 09 2011 09:56 AM

Mary Chapin Carpenters "Grand Central Station" is a tribute to people who lovingly cleaned up the pile- and it was a labor of of intensity that was indescribable yet she found the words and music

Sep. 09 2011 07:46 AM
Stephanie B from Edgewater

'The Last Goodbye' by Jeff Buckley comes to mind when I think of that day. I was fortunate to not have lost anyone in the towers, but was working in NYC ... will never be able to shake what happened and what I saw that day and for days and weeks after. 'The Last Goodbye' reminds me of all those faces on the missing persons flyers that populated seemingly every lamppost and facade in the city. Jeff's version of Leonard Cohen's 'Halleluah' would also fit the mood of remembrance.

Sep. 09 2011 05:25 AM
Fiona Keane

'Into the Fire' by Bruce Springsteen tops it for me. I was living in Park Slope, Brooklyn at the time with my husband and 7 month old son. Now we are in the west of Ireland (so different, but wonderful) and I will play that song to him this weekend in honor of all who died that day. He is 10 1/2 and very interested in what happened. I will never forget that day and will share the story with him on the 10th anniversary.

Sep. 08 2011 09:29 PM
Alexander Stein from Germany

I was here in Germany on the way home with my car, when I heard on the radio of the attack. I was thousands of miles away, but it touched me deeply. 10 years later I felt called, to write an modern instrumental song as a musical monument for the victims of ground zero. The song 'Nine Eleven Panic' is available on Youtube:

Sep. 08 2011 01:16 PM
Adam Holland from Brooklyn, NY

I was in the subway station at the WTC when the first plane hit, and in the lobby of a building a block away when the second plane hit. What I experienced on that day, and in the months afterward when I worked with victims' families at Pier 93, had a big impact on me emotionally. I dealt with the PTSD in some bad ways, like drinking too much, and in some harmless ways, like listening to George Jones. I would probably choose "The Door" or "Things Go To Pieces" to remember 9/11.

Sep. 08 2011 10:01 AM
Deb Armelino from NYC

I am suggesting the song that Michael Jackson wrote to mobilize hearts during the tragedy
What More Can I Give
a beautiful and passionate anthem bringing people together in love.
Please play it.

Sep. 07 2011 03:23 PM
Sandra Salisbury from Peakville, NY

For me, the most moving recording after 9/11 was "When Mohammad Came to the Mountain" by Frank Tedesso, from "Vigil," a compilation of singer-songwriter works from the Greenwich Village Songwriter's Exchange. For me, Tedesso's was a miraculous poem -- a transcendent vision that captured the strangeness of that whole day and era -- sublime in a certain way -- and as moving now as it was the first time I heard it.

Sep. 06 2011 11:07 PM
Mark from Nyack NY

On 9/12 I was playing a jazz gig on string bass on the upper west side while struggling to come to grips with the paradox between the monumental loss and the miracle of existence. At the end of the first set I suddenly started playing solo the Meditation from Thais by Gabriel Faure. It seemed to offer resolution and I will always associate it with that time.

Sep. 06 2011 09:31 PM
Frank De Canio from Union City, NJ

Sorry my previous entry was cut short. It should have continued as such:

Just a few selections from must surely be a huge catalog of American music; not to mention European & British music that will never let us down.

Sep. 06 2011 02:27 PM
Frank De Canio from Union City, NJ

For me, music transcends borders, so a great piece of music is great always and everywhere. Who would not be comforted, indeed, exalted by the nobility (marked as such by Elgar) of the Nimrod variation from the Elgar set. Okay, the whole piece!! There;s Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Youll Never Walk Alone; Climb Every Mountain." The entirety of Charles Ives Symphony #2 with its comforting echo of America in the second movement and its unabashedly proud trumpeting of Americana in the finale. What a wonderful and masterful celebration. there's also Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring with its final "Wish to Be Simple" variations. Let's not forget his magnificent Symphony number 3. Just a few from a

Sep. 06 2011 02:20 PM
Hank Fellows from New York City

My song, "Halfway to Heaven (A 9/11 Tribute)", written shortly after 9/11/01, has been performed at official 9/11 ceremonies in all five boroughs of NYC, and is used as the soundtrack for the official FDNY memorial video honoring the 343 firefighters who died on 9/11/01. It has also been performed all over the USA. This song may be listened to on my website, www.9-11Songs.com, and the FDNY You Tube video may be seen by typing in "Hank Fellows" on You Tube.

Sep. 06 2011 01:58 PM
Nancy Coletti from New Jersey

The song is: Voice of Freedom - A9/11 tribute song.
Honoring the victims and heroes of 9/11, Voice of Freedom was used as the theme song for Flight Across America, and was performed on the USS Intrepid.
Music & Lyrics by: Edward B. Kessel
Additional Lyrics by: Susan Lorrichio
Performed by: Nancy Coletti
Video Editing by: Ben Sampson
Produced & Engineered by: Edward B. Kessel
Ed Kessel has posted a video on youtube: Voice of Freedom.

Sep. 06 2011 09:45 AM
Mary Ann from Jersey City, NJ

John Adams' "the Transmigration of Souls," written to commemorate 9/11.

Sep. 06 2011 02:21 AM
Thomas Anderson from Brooklyn

Please listen to and then Share John Sprung's song "Remember Me".

Sep. 05 2011 11:09 PM
Jacqui Dickinson from Belfast, N. Ireland

Could I suggest a piece called 'Hope' which was composed by Philip Stopford for the dedication of the Spire of Hope at St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast. The service, held on September 11th, was attended by the Bishop of New York. A link was formed through the 9/11 tragedy and the 'troubles' of terrorism in Northern Ireland. The words are by Dr Carl Daw, and were written in response to the 9/11 tragedy. The sheet music and CD is available at www.ecclesium.co.uk. The choir is Ecclesium, and the composer is the conductor.

On youtube it is listed as 'HOPE 9/11 Stopford'

I heard about this project on BBC Radio 4 this morning. Many thanks, Jacqui Dickinson.

Sep. 05 2011 01:24 PM
Tom Marlow from Staten Island, NY

I would hear the Gates of Hell by Seanchai and the Unity Squad. This song is about the loss of a fireman friend and the changes in New York after 9/11.

Another sugestion is Michal by Black 47 which is about Fr, Michal Judge (Chaplain of the FDNY) and a fan of Black 47 (who often was seen at their pub shows in NYC).

Sep. 05 2011 12:48 PM
Astrid af Klinteberg from Gloucester, MA

this is what I would like to hear:

Sep. 05 2011 11:56 AM