Random House to Publish Seven Rare Dr. Seuss Stories

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dr. Seuss fans, rejoice. This fall, seven rare Seuss stories, which were previously printed in Redbook, will be published in book form. The stories — which he wrote between 1950 and 1951 — have fantastically Seussian titles: "The Bippolo Seed," "Zinniga-Zanniga," "Tadd and Todd," and "Gustav the Goldfish." The compilation is called "The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss," and Random House is publishing it in late September.

Dr. Charles Cohen, a dentist from South Deerfield, Mass., is a Seuss enthusiast who spent years tracking the stories down in libraries. He originally listed them on eBay, which attracted Random House's attention. He joins us to discuss the stories.

Charles Cohen

Sitara Nieves and Jen Poyant

Margaret from Manhattan

The Economy has meant that some can see
a way to rob their mothers and brothers;
"Free Market" has meant that we others aren't free,
because The Other others had their druthers.

Aug. 17 2011 12:38 PM
Paul Hickey from Augusta, GA

The Debt-o-lop-o-los Tree

It’s not very pretty
And we try not to see
The tree in the garden
The debt-o-lop-o-los tree

We feed it by day
We feed it by night
And then we’re surprised
When it grows to such height

We look at the leaves
They’re red, they’re not green
When we eat its fruit
It tastes like a ‘lien’

Oh, no - it’s not new
And it’s really not rare
The truth of the matter
It grows everywhere

It grows in our own yards
And across the round globe
We know how to stop it
But it hurts the frontal lobe

So for now we just blame
The ones who write checks
For to blame ourselves
Is far too complex

Aug. 17 2011 10:20 AM
drora kemp from north nj

I raised my son, now a wonderful person, on the wisdom of Dr. Seuss. In phenomenal language and verse unparalleled in its rhythm he taught (teaches, I mean) children the most important lessons of life. The Lorax, Yertle the Turtle, the Sneeches, Horton, Thidwick - kind of "everything I ever wanted to know" - and with wit, humor and great pictures.
To date, he is my favorite writer.

Aug. 17 2011 10:09 AM
Diane Gribbin from Monmouth County, NJ

Dr. Seuss remains my favorite children's author but I think many of his stories were really directed at adults. They are timeless. I still have his books from my own childhood, which include some of his older stories: The Pants With Nobody Inside Them, The Big Brag, The Star Belly Sneeches. The books are bit rough now from being read so much.

Aug. 17 2011 10:00 AM
Mordecai Christi from Boston, MA - WBGH, 89.7 FM

Nice name, mean name
right name, wrong name
do choose, the right choice
Its pronounced not 'news'
but 'voice'.

Dr. Seuss.

Aug. 17 2011 09:57 AM
Lois Harr from Bronx, NY

Re The wisdom of Dr. Seuss -- everyone in public OR private life should live up to the standard set by Horton the elephant in Horton Hatches an Egg : I said what I meant and I meant what I said , an elephant's faithful, 100%.

Aug. 17 2011 09:11 AM