The Man Behind the Billboard: Florida's Own Naked Carpet Guy

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Don Bailey's "Naked Carpet Man" billboard has been up for more than 30 years.

For almost thirty years, drivers in South Florida have been wondering about "Naked Carpet Guy," and last November, they voted to have WLRN's "Under the Sun" series find out

Don Bailey is a successful carpet salesman whose creative advertising has had Florida raising its eyebrows for decades. (Fair warning: the image in question is safe enough to post outdoors, but does feature a naked man.) We speak to Sammy Mack, an assistant producer with WLRN's Under the Sun, who spoke to Bailey about life, carpets and the famous billboard.

Below: Don Bailey now. (Click on the image for full photo and WLRN story).

width=

Sammy Mack

Noel King

Mack the Knife from largo, fl

Time has not been kind to Don Bailey. He needs to get out of the picture?

Jul. 09 2012 02:57 PM
Patricia Post Freeman from Tavernier Key Florida

Lived in Hollywood when his billboard went up-wow the public was soo concerned-they made him paint a pair of swim shorts on the part you couldn't even see anything. Met Don at a bday party in Key Largo last year, what an honor to meet "the man". So nice to hear a little more history about the billboard beginning. Love seeing a new one (billboard)in the keys!!!

Jun. 19 2012 09:55 AM
Joseph from Rockledge

I grew up in NMB and remember seeing this billboard travelling down I-95. I can't believe that it's still there. Wasn't there a celebrity that a similar pose for a magazine centerfold?

Apr. 28 2012 01:31 AM
Kathy Frazier from Oregon

How can I put up a billboard and get on the map?
Kathy

Jan. 15 2011 08:07 PM
Carolyn Bailey from North Miami Beach, Fl

This was My Father's idea, Jack Bailey. He took the centerfold off my wall in my home. Took it to his brother, and told him that it would put him on the map. (and it did). Don's a ham, but he could of at least mentioned his brother, Jack Bailey. He also painted it by hand. My Father was a artist. He owned Bailey Outdoor Advertizing. He started the picture in the Key's. This is when he painted by hand, not computer. They are now all computer print out's.

Mar. 15 2010 02:36 PM