Another Obama Compromise? 'Leftists, Get Over It!'

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

US President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White Houes in Washington, DC, July 11, 2011. (Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty)

President Obama’s role in the debt ceiling compromise is prompting howls of criticism and scorn from some Americans, especially those on the left. They’re complaining that the president sold out to Republicans, who are crowing about their victory. Jim Warren, columnist for Chicago News Cooperative and our partner The New York Times, and national correspondent for The Atlantic, has a simple message for the president’s critics: get over it. Warren argues that since his days as a community organizer, Obama has always favored pragmatic deal-making over partisan point-scoring.

Jim Warren

Duncan Wilson

dbinphilly from Philly

We supported Obama because of the things he claimed to believe in. Perhaps he does believe in those things, but he makes no attempt to achieve them.

Instead he compromises with people who will not compromise. When he had a majority in Congress he refused to take advantage of it. Now he must give in on every issue.

Though I was a strong supporter of Obama in 2008, both emotionally and financially, he will never receive my vote or my dollar again. He takes progressives for granted, assuming they have no where to go.

Come election day, for the first time in 30 years, I intend to stay home. If the Tea Party wins, they will just take away our rights and our aspirations more quickly. With Obama it's like being pecked to death by ducks. The end result will be the same, but Obama will make it more prolonged and more painful.

Sep. 11 2011 11:35 AM
Marsha

For people who believe that Jesus is God, your analogy is appropriate. For many of us, both Jesus and Moses were prophets and to assume one is better than the other is offensive.

Aug. 02 2011 09:21 PM
Marsha

Obama as Moses? I like that idea-leave Pharaoh behind, march toward the Promised Land even if the people complain along the way, and be seen as a revered prophet.

Aug. 02 2011 09:18 PM
bob s from los angels

Bad analogy. Moses didn't compromise with Pharoah. He sent plague after plague ultimately killing all the first born.

Aug. 02 2011 10:28 AM
Diane

I voted for Obama for the way that he is, the center. I think looking at Obama for fault is unfair and incorrect. I don't even blame the entire Republican party, its the few that have selfishly held on to ideology over the good of the people. This is a shame and voters should take a second look at who they voted for and why in Congress.

Aug. 02 2011 10:11 AM
Garry G from NY, NY

Agree w/ Jim on all points. I voted for compromise/Moses Obama. During the primaries I read about his days of bridging different perspectives at Harvard ... in Chicago-- and believed that we needed radical Center leader. I think the web and pundit-driven broadcast news landscape has created a world that is not favorable to the center. In the end I think we'll see Obama's steady course as the right way to move forward.

Aug. 02 2011 09:41 AM
Laura from Providence

I voted for President Obama in 2008, I have supported democrats for as long as I can remember. Here's my takeaway: 1) This is the BEST deal we are going to get...no one wants to cut entitlement spending, and in a million years I wouldn't have thought that the democrats would vote for something that did just that, HOWEVER, we are left with few options, 2) Not only do we need to whack, slash, and stop spending - we also need to not default on our national debt (that is disastrous!) 3) I feel that my other fellow lefties are not fully understanding how imperative it is to decrease spending at this point in time while also making future plans to generally spend less. And for the record, I am not a small government advocate - I just don't see any other way this problem can be fixed without cutting spending for programs that young people like myself are paying into but sure enough, will not get anything out of it

Aug. 02 2011 09:40 AM
Jo Ann from 07704

Before I voted I knew Sen. Obama was NOT a progressive , knew He was captured by Wall Street & Corporations .STill I AM Dismayed at his lack of leadership & has sold out average & poor Americans.

Aug. 02 2011 09:32 AM